Search Unity

Fantasy AI 2.0 [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by brilliantgames, Mar 1, 2012.

1. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

You can only command the blue guards. Did you try buying more through the crystal? And yes there is still work left to do on the mini game. I hope to have it done by the end of the weekend. Thanks for the feedback and keep in touch!

2. kshaja

kshaja

Yes, I used the blue guards ;), but they are moving around so when I have 5-6 of them around the crystal I am having trouble to identify ones that don't have an order given. The mini game is excellent ! Keep the good work.

3. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Late night codding on ai. :)

4. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

For those of you who needed RANGED, ;)

5. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Announcement! For any of you who missed the video posted this morning. This AI is now no longer limited to just melee! In a matter of just 3 hours last night I programmed the ability for ranged attacks. All the user has to do is add a "Ranged Add On Script", change their attack range to what they desire, and set the melee damaged to zero. :)

6. elias_t

elias_t

Excelent!

How easy would it be to use the ai now in a ww2 strategy game situation?

I mean using the ranged ai for shooting with assault guns, throwing grenades and using rocket launchers.

7. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I couldnt imagine it would be very hard! Right now I just have some simple arrow programming done for arrow type projectiles. One thing I still need to do is give a behaver that simulates a more ranged type behaver. It most likely wont be in the first verson, but 100 percent, it will be in the next update! I need to get this submitted by at least tomorrow night. Ive put so much work into this, I need to see people using this. There are so many useful scripts included. Even a simple door/lock/key script is included. :)

8. danreid70

danreid70

I can't wait! I'm in! I've been following this thread since originally posted, and all I can say is: I can't wait to get it! It started out looking amazing, and every update has been torture (because it keeps looking even BETTER!). Ranged attack will ROCK! And the "get help" built in just adds SOOOO much to the gameplay! One of those "little things" that totally changes the feel of a game. Loving this! Can't wait to see it in the Asset Store! AWESOME WORK!!!

9. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks soo much! I am getting so impatient to finish this. I've been working like 10 hours a day on this the past 3 days. I have basically decided I'm submitting it tomorrow night no matter what! :)

10. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Just did some sound design for a bow fireing and arrow wizzing. Turned out so amazing! I can't believe I'm giving these sounds away with the package!

11. danreid70

danreid70

One more quick idea... There's a cool "head look controller" out there that might really be cool to add to the AI... After reaching a nav-point, or selecting a target, have a "head transform" and "torso transform" (waistline) be selectable for the AI model - and have the torso turn towards the nav-point/target independently (head turning at twice the speed of the torso), and a selectable transform for where instantiated projectiles launch from... That way, AIs would always look like they are turning their heads toward their targets, the torso moves slightly slower so it looks more real, and if the ranged weapon fires before it's turned completely toward the target, it would miss... Kind of like "jumping the gun"... Would give it such a realistic "feel"... you'd have all those AIs looking (turning their heads) at their targets first, then moving at them (melee and ranged), and if their target changed before the reload/fire timer went off (hit '0'), you'd see the projectiles firing wildly - AND it would give the PLAYER incentive to dodge back and forth faster than the AI can target him... hmm... Maybe even some kind of "dodge" function in the AI - so that if targeted by a ranged weapon (or hit by one, or a "near miss"), they could change to an "evade" mode, trying to dodge enemy projectiles...

Hehe - sorry - been thinking about this on and off all day. Forgive my rambling... Been thinking how I want to modify your anticipated AI release after I get my grubby hands on it... ;)

I can't wait to see the next vid (volleys of arrows...!!!) - and watching the Asset Store daily, just watching for the first release!

Keep up good work!

12. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks for the feed back! There is already a selectable transform from which the projectile shoots from. As for head and torso being separate and selectable.. That will not be an option as of now(unless you scripted it). I will jump into more advanced movement and animation later for the updates. As for ranged style behaver, right now the ai just uses his current melee type behaver. When I made the ability for ranged, I didn't even have to modify one line of code for the actually AI script. I made a separate "ranged add on" script. And it just worked! With the first version this is how it will work. For the updates there will be more advanced ranged type behaver built into the AI that will automatically activate when a ranged script is added. But anyways, the time is soon! Still lots of last minute fixes to make then submitting! :)

13. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

SUBMITTING TO THE ASSET STORE IN JUST A FEW HOURS! Just creating a few tutorials and photoshop stuff, then submitting The Fantasy AI package! For the time being, try the COMPLETE mini game PROTECT THE CRYSTAL! Its no longer beta anymore. For those of you who tried the beta, here are the changes made. You can now hire RANGED ARCHERS. There are now prisoners located around the map you can free and order around. The overall feel of the game is improved. Framerate and performance is improved. And finally, Many AI BUGS FIXED! Please try this mini game out if you are at all interested in this AI package, or just want to play a fun high paced strategic adventure game! Click the link below!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65183439/WebPlayer.html

14. janpec

janpec

Great job on ranged, works flawless. One thing maybe you could add in future which for sure wont be hard, is that you dont make arrows dissapear, it is more realistic and better if arrows stay in victim for some time. Great job so far.

15. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks so much! Yeah, it was pleasantly surprising to watch the AI function with the ranged script attached. I am particularly proud of the bow sounds I designed. I am an audio engineer and a producer, I run a recording studio. To make the bowing fire sound, it involved an elastic and a coat hanger. :D

16. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

17. kshaja

kshaja

Nice updates to the mini game, just add start new game button, when player dies, not to reload the whole game again.

18. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks for the feedback!

19. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thought I would share something about the mini game. The archer character I used in the mini game was a free character asset from the store. Hes called Max, and hes built for adventure games. His attack animation is a swift punch. :) I ended up using him for an archer, cause his punch animation ended up working almost perfectly for a bow fire animation! Useless fact to start your day! :D

20. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey everyone! The submission to the asset store is being processed. Until its up I have a new video for you to watch! The final battle demonstration of 250 units! 100 archers vrs 150 evil skeletons! Enjoy. Your feedback is always appreciated.

21. rockysam888

rockysam888

Nice mini game. For one thing: if I use "Follow me" and jump from cliff, they don't follow me to jump from cliff. They just move along the hill to join me.

22. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Yes, I set this up to happen. Cause lets be real here. Would you jump off a cliff just cause your friend did? haha. :)

23. janpec

janpec

Rockysam that is not bad thing at all, its quite oposite. In Mount and Blade it was extremely annoying when soldiers were falling down from cliffs and following eachother, some cliffs were huge, so they needed 100 years to return on first position. Brilliantgamestudios might i ask what are your next planned updates for this AI? Do you have some roadmap?

24. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Oh I got many plans. I would prefer not to list them all but I'll give you some. First, I want to really clean these scripts of every possible bug that can be fixed. As well as fix bugs or make changes for users. Then I want to perfect ranged behaviour and make limitless possibilities for what kind of ranged weapons they can use(including any type of gun). Then one of the next addons I want to add is the 'bot' ability. One thing I have noticed about alot of multiplayer shooters is they often never have bots. I think its really important(especially if you are indie and no one plays your game) that you have bots for a multiplayer shooter. Who wants to go online to join a server, to find that there are no servers to join? When I make the bot addon, there will be different preset game modes that you can check off. Some could include, Deatchmatch, Capture The Flag, King of the Hill or even some counterstrike type game types. I also want to improve pathfinding. The system I have does work well, but I would like to create a system that is extremely dynamic an the user never has to do anything to set it up(that means no waypoint placement, AND NO NAV-MESH SETUP!) I know this is a huge goal to reach for and I'm sure if I did figure something out it could revolutionize pathfinding. I'm sick of the standard pathfinding, I just really want a system so perfect, that you can literally throw your ai into any map and instantly he has perfect navigation of it. Anyhow, I'll stop rambling. Soon this will be up on the store, and you can mess around with this AI for yourself. Thanks :)

25. elias_t

elias_t

brilliantgamestudios, is it coded in c# or js?

26. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

It is in C#. As far as I know, these scripts should work for most platforms. One platform I don't think it will work for is Flash. I'm using "System.Collections.Generic;" for lists. When I was doing the flash competition, flash HATED "System.Collections.Generic;" haha.

27. elias_t

elias_t

Cool, because I mostly use c#.

28. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

29. Lypheus

Lypheus

I'll be grabbing this from the asset store - sounds like you have an interesting philosophy with navigation, along my line of thinking too .. perhaps we can collaborate a bit on that aspect? I'm building a Killing Floor style survival game, my thoughts about navigation revolve around the use of layers/tags to identify objects which are walkable, climbable, etc... with an attached motor it should be good enough for basic navigation. Still wouldn't hurt to use the notion of precalculating walkable surfaces and such for performance during runtime, but autogenerated preferably. The real issue is handling buildings and their interiors that way.

30. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Good stuff! Yeah i imagine making a perfect dynamic pathfinding system wont be easy. I just feel that with the technology we have now, we should be past, waypoints and navigational meshes. I have developed many different waypoint/navmesh systems that have worked well, but I have never been completely satisfied with any of them.

31. Lypheus

Lypheus

I think the main thing here is, whatever you come up with, be sure to have a clean and easy to hook into workflow for your AI agents. That way, if someone wants to 'inject' AI behaviours derived from navmeshes, etc.. they are good to go ... looking forward to what you come up with.

32. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

For sure, thanks!

33. rockysam888

rockysam888

I see. In that case, if I really want them to follow me exactly (because this is an order. :)), could I change some logic easily to do so with your kit?

34. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hah yes. This is physically set up actually. I put triggered invisible walls there. That is how you stop the AI from going places. He cant see through the wall, so therefore, he will pathfind around it. It is an obstacle to him.

35. rockysam888

rockysam888

Thanks for fast reply.
    If we remove that wall, they will exactly follow me! Great!

Besides, will this interesting mini game and 3d models be included in the kit? How much is this kit? :)

36. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

It sure will be. And there are plenty of useful assets in that mini game. Even simple ones that save lots of time like, Door/lock/key scripts. I also include and LOD portal script. Where objects will not render when you leave a triggered area.

37. rockysam888

rockysam888

Can't wait!!!!! (Could we afford?)

38. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

$50.00 usd.

39. rockysam888

rockysam888

40. BHS

BHS

Very cool and interesting, reminds me of Skyrim's battles.

For the swinging sound you could randomize the sound for each enemy so they aren't all sounding the same. Just have a sound column with 5 or 6 swinging sounds and have the enemies randomly pick from there?

41. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Yes that will be an option in the future I'm sure. Although I have already designed over 30 sounds for this AI project. I will eventually be making a sound library asset for the store. The sounds will be very Hollywood movie sounding, and I will put many hours into them. This AI project already has sooo much more included other than just the AI script. But yes, for the updates, I will be focusing on having more infinite lists for everything and more advanced animation.

42. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

New windows exclusive version of Protect The Crystal! PC gamers, challenge yourself going up against 124 evil skeletons!(more then twice the amount than web version). Enhanced graphics, Parallax mapping everywhere! higher res textures! Here is the download link! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65183439/Protect The Crystal(Windows Exclusive).zip PS. The web version has also been updated. Smoother performance and a few bugs fixed.

43. blurededge

blurededge

Any idea when this will be released?

44. rockysam888

rockysam888

I want to know too!

45. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Very soon I hope!

46. rockysam888

rockysam888

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  47. janpec

janpec

Stop posting those teasing videos, they keep me from developing current game! No seriously great job, last ranged video is just what i needed. Cant wait for more updates.

48. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Announcement. This may come as bad news to some. But I have decided this package is still not ready for release. I did submit it to the asset store and they responded. They seemed excited on the package and only had a few small notes of changes they wanted. But with that said, I have been doing some extended testing on the AI in new projects and many other scenarios. I have decided they still need more work in a few areas before they are ready to be thrown into the many complex game worlds that they will be thrown into. I just need everything to just WORK perfectly. I have really high standards and i want everyone to be satisfied with this package. I plan to go deep into coding for about a week or so, then make another submission. So it hopefully SHOULDNT BE ANY LONGER THAN 2 WEEKS! Thank you for your patience everyone, and i apologize for the wait. Sincerely, Robert Weaver, Brilliant Game Studios.

49. danreid70

danreid70

Not bad news - not at all. You KNOW that if you released it without dotting every i and crossing every t, this thread would explode with tons of questions... :) I for one am happy - well, not "happy"... cuz I'm anxiously awaiting this package for a personal project I'm working on, and excited to see it applied to my "world"... :) But I'm glad you're polishing up the code first - so many that don't end up answering a storm of questions later on. :) I wish all developers (companies) would put the finishing tests and polish to their products before releasing.

So, keep up the good work, and release this bad-boy when it's ready to play. :) BUT, please keep updating this thread with all the new little goodies you're adding, and vids of your AI in action! Can't wait to see the next episode of "humans slaughtering skeletons on an epic scale - with archers!!!"! :)

50. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks so much! Yeah there are some goodies for sure. In the process of fixing up the pathfinding. Part of the reason the pathfinding wasnt working very well is, the distance in way points was counted backwards frame by frame for every target. The targets were sorted into lists within the waypoints. Now instead of counting backwards from the target in lists, each way point figures out exactly how many waypoints every other way point is from himself. That way the calculation is instant and less stressful. Now all the ai needs to figure out when he reaches his next waypoint is, he checks which of the connecting waypoints is the least far to his target waypoint then proceeds to that waypoint. The complicated calculations have already been done, and it happens in one frame. :)