Search Unity

Fantasy AI 2.0 [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by brilliantgames, Mar 1, 2012.

1. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Yes I total know what you mean. I have to perfect all the melee aspects first. After that I don't think optimizing the AI for ranged would be very difficult. So keep your hopes up. ;)

2. blurededge

blurededge

Any idea when you will be releasing this?

3. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I hope to be submitting it in a week or so!

4. Intermission

Intermission

Looks very nice, but in order for me to purchase, it would need to include ranged fighting. I will be using this for a game that will have ranged/mage classes.

5. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Its looking more and more likely. I can't guarantee it will be with the first release, but for sure in the near future!

6. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

New video posted! This is the first video showing a more close and personal look at some of the AI's behaviour. Most of the other videos have mostly been showing how well everything works on a mass scale. The specific demonstration of this video, is showing off the 'Find Help On Retreat' behaviour. This means, the AI will calculate his odds of winning, if they are lower then what the user set his 'Coward Multiply' then he will retreat, and in this case, pathfind to a friendly unit, and ask him for help.

7. janpec

janpec

Impressive, what sort of damage detection is used? is it collider based, or is just distance based between attackers?

8. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Distance and direction they are facing. :)

9. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

THE WEB PLAYABLE MINI GAME DEMO IS COMING SOON! Its going to be a fun and very interactive playable demo demonstrating the capabilities of this AI! I want to include as many genres as I can packed together in one fun mini game! The game itself will be a tower defence, mixed with RPG adventure, and strategy! Skeletons will be coming in waves trying to attack the crystal fountain of health! And you and the guards must protect it! You will be able to buy extra units and weapons, and order the units around! But it will be First Person! Thats all the info I can give at this time! Expect this demo soon! Possibly in the next few days. PS, the video just posted demonstrating the AI Behaviours is the map in progress that is going to be used for the demo. Here is a screen shot of the inside of the armoury you have to protect.

10. danreid70

danreid70

Just want to quick say: "AWESOME!" VERY nice! I'm really looking forward to this release!!! Can already see where this AI could save me TONS of time! Great, now I'm going to have to find some free time somewhere to start playing with Unity again!!! :) Good job, BGS! I'll be picking this up for sure (and anxiously awaiting ranged attacks - that's key for me, too)...

11. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks so much! Keep in touch.

12. blurededge

blurededge

Great demo there BGS. Add me to the list of people who are anxiously awaiting the release of your tool. Looks like a great piece of work.

13. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks so much!

14. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

This project is looking amazing. Can't wait for release. Will be purchasing!

15. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Why thank you. :)

16. lockbox

lockbox

Very cool

17. psyclone

psyclone

Awesome....

18. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thank you all for the great comments everyone. Very excited to show you this mini game/demo, its going to be great fun. And this AI is making it so easy to make! :)

19. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Protect the Crystal Life Source! Here is another teaser screenshot of the mini game included with the AI package!

20. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Mini game under construction! 128 units path finding to destroy the crystal life source! 30fps!

21. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I can't wait for this to come out! Do you have an estimate on the release date? Do you know how much this will cost? I'm going to buy this as soon as I can.

22. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I'm feeling like 50 USD is a good price. It depends if the asset store suggests otherwise. I want to try and have this submitted by the end of this weekend so very soon! The beta version of the playable demo may be done as soon as tomorrow evening, I'll post that when i feel its playable. :)

23. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

50 USD? You can count me in as customer! Heck even if it changes I'll probably still buy it.

24. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

For sure! From the start, I wanted to price this lower then what I really thought it was worth. And yes, I do think this product is worth more then 50 dollars. I am also using this AI for a big project I am working on. I plan the share many of the assets from this project on the store, some of which may be free! So keep an eye out!

25. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I look forward to see what else you have in store for the asset store.

26. elias_t

elias_t

@brilliantgamestudios,

Do you consider to add the ability to use also alternative a* pathfinding packages? Like Aron Granberg's one for example?

27. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Yep. The pathfinding, or "navigation" is on a separate script. Which leaves alternative pathfinding scripts fairly open. The AI has a few different targets, "Current Target"(Replace this when pathfinding) "Enemy" and "Target Locate To"(this is an alternative destination besides enemy). Pathfinding is something I've wrestled with and modified since I first started this AI. I went through so many different methods. I even designed a sort of "Navigational Mesh" system that worked pretty well and was even dynamic to the point where you could shift any object around and it would adjust to it. But it wasnt fast enough. I ended up making a system where you hand place waypoints on every corner of complex objects. The mini game I am working on now is a fairly large and pretty complex map. But I only ended up having to place 40 waypoints, which took me not much more then 10 minutes to do. :)

28. elias_t

elias_t

Ok! Glad to hear that!

29. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Who wants to try the BETA version of the playable demo tonight at midnight?! Yes this screen shot shows the ability to give orders to ai. Yes it was about 1 page of code for this!! :D :D

30. virror

virror

Exciting!
    What midnight? : p

31. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

The Midnight in 2 hours!

32. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Currently uploading web beta demo! Be sure to try this out!

33. virror

virror

Midnight is way to early, still at work for a few more hours : (
    Maybe i can sneak-play some ; )

34. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

HERE IT IS! This is the beta version of the playable mini game demonstrating the capabilities of the ai. Neither this game or the ai are done yet. But this should give you a pretty good idea of what your dealing with. This game is lots of fun, give it a try! It mixes strategy, adventure and rpg together, to show what they are capable of. There are more features that will be on the game and ai when its done! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO PLAY. Enjoy. :)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65183439/WebPlayer.html

35. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Too late! Just posted!

36. virror

virror

Now its sneak-play time : D

37. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I do realize there are a few things I forgot! Haha. Like, the player cant die! You can still loose though. Also, I didnt really limit the amount of skeletons that come and attack. If you play long enough, over 100 can come. So performance will get rather slow especially on the web player. :D I will prob upload another version a bit later.

38. virror

virror

Sooo wobbly it almost makes me sea sick : D
    Its a bit hard to control i think, otherwise cool game : )
    Will test some more when i get home if i have time.

39. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Reuploading. Took the cam shake off completely, you can now die, skeletons are limited to 40, units are cheaper to buy. :)

40. virror

virror

Controls are a lot better now : )
    Very nice work, you should make this into a full game : p

41. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Why thank you. This AI, as well as a package for the asset store, is designed for a very large project I am working on. Its part of much of the ground work that needs to be completed before I can really even start on the game. :)

42. CrashKonijn

CrashKonijn

I really, really like this! This might actually be the first thing I buy in the store! :D
    Can't wait until I get home from my internship to play the demo ^^

43. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks so much! Anyone who has tried the demo, I would really appreciate feedback! Thanks. :)

44. janpec

janpec

Looks very good, performance is nice, AI functions seem to work nicely. One thing that might make demo much more attractive and diverse is adding ranged attack unity on both ally and enemy side. Also making additional option of damage detection by colliders on swords and arrows would add huge plus to pack becouse it would suit rpg or fps combat much more. Damage detection by distance for sure is great for strategies but for fps or rpg games, collider detection is better solution.

Also do you mind sharing a little infos about what game are you making from this pack brilliantgamestudios? Just interested since it is defenetly game of my taste.

45. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks for the feedback. Yes colliders will be a feature I will add. For now its going to have to stay at distance and direction. I just don't want things to get too complex for users. In the demo, the player is actually using ray casts to attack. For some reason they seem really inaccurate and don't seem to register a hit all the time. But the ai, using distance and direction, just seems to work great, and is fast and reliable. As for the big project I am working on. I will be making separate threads and media for that at a later time. I eventually want to get a small team together for it. Its just too early to really reveal much on it at this point. But soon!

46. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Here is what the script looks like for ordering the AI to follow u in gameplay. Just see how easy it is to program this AI to do fairly complicated tasks!

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    public class orderai : MonoBehaviour {

//get transform for player
    public Transform player;

//follow me bool
    public bool followme;

void Start () {

}

void Update () {
    AI ai=(AI)GetComponent("AI");
    if(followme){
    ai.companion=true;
    ai.companionleader=player;

}
    }

void OnGUI(){
    if(enableaiorder){
    if(GUI.Button(new Rect(210, 330, 220, 26), "Follow Me!")){
    AI ai=(AI)GetComponent("AI");
    followme=true;
    ai.Dialogrespond=true;
    enableaiorder=false;
    }
    }
    }

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  47. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Don't mean to spam this thread! But I just updated the beta version of the game. I changed the player view, it is now a 3rd person "look over the shoulder' type view. Also the game is easier to beat now! You can hire a max of 16 guards. And the black skeletons guarding the portal are easier now. PLEASE TRY THIS OUT IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE AI, or if you wanna play a fun high paced defense game! LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS, GOOD OR BAD!.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65183439/WebPlayer.html

Over the shoulder look.

I proved to myself that the game can be beat! :D

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  48. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I really enjoyed this!

A few things would make it better...

First I would use: Screen Locked Cursor and a key-stroke based UI. This way the cursor would not be popping off the screen, which was happening to me all the time. You could have it unlock with E/Buy and re-lock with Done, or just E for store, and then G for guard and H for health. Giving orders would be the same as well.

Second: I would have the skeleton's collider go away after they had fallen. I was regularly getting caught on the bone debris. (Or make "jump" higher, so you could jump out of the pile of bones...)

I prefer 3rd person over first person.

It was fun!

49. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah most of those things are in the works. This game is meant more for full screen mac or windows. The performance is much better in windows as well compared to browser. With 70 active ai's it runs at 35 fps on my machine. In windows it runs 45 to 55 fps. I'm thinking of making a windows exclusive version for people who really want to push things. I will contain cheats and enabling up to around 200 active ai's.

50. kshaja

kshaja

This is so good !
    I like it very much.

I am having trouble to give an order to a guard, he keeps getting away from me. Also I don't know which guard has which order.
    It would be nice to be able to pause a game and from bird perspective camera to give orders to the guards that are close to hear your commands, and to see in that camera view their orders above their heads, and after I am finished to continue the game.