Search Unity

Fantasy AI 2.0 [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by brilliantgames, Mar 1, 2012.

1. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I would love to know your thoughts on the new AI and the Navigation! Check the link above!

2. Nomad5oul

Nomad5oul

@brilliantgames

I just checked out the dynamic AI project link and it looks great.

I'm a bit concerned about your comment "This AI engine is aimed more so at shooters instead of Fantasy this time" as I actually purchased Fantasy AI 2.0 to integrate with a FPS game so if you release this other AI seperately I will have to pay twice.

Will you be making the dynamic AI system an update in Fantasy AI or will I have to purchase both packs?

3. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

After I am finished the first version of the new AI, I will making a 2.1 for Fantasy AI and it will contain a few of the new features. But try to understand that these are two completely different systems and this has been a long term business plan from the start. Its the same idea as car company making multiple types of vehicles. :)

4. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I've recently started on a new project after upgrading to unity pro and IOS pro and have been looking at AI solutions. I have to say the videos of Fantsy AI look very impressive and it looks like a massive time saver for what I'm working on. I have a quick question before I rush off to the asset store, what sort of performance will this get on an IOS project? I've been testing unity's navmeshes so far and they work great for moving characters around, even on a iphone, but Fantasy AI is a lot more complex. Is anyone using this on iphone? and if so, what sort of performance can you get. I'm working on a action RPG type game viewed from above, close to a Diablo stlye angle and controls. Using unity's navmeshes I've happily got 15 characters chasing the player character around a small enviroment, can I expect a similar result with this? Because I have path finding already working, I'm really looking at this for the AI and melee combat. It would takes weeks to get everything working myself, but I'm worried this is too advanced for a simple iphone game and has a lot of extra stuff I don't need slowing it down.

5. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Fantasy AI was designed to perform very fast. Unfortunately I have not been able to personally test this for mobile devices(Although I know many people have), but on PC you can have hundreds of AI running around doing random tasks. The pathfinding in this AI is baked and predetermined. So it actually has very little affect on performance. The only times you might notice some big spikes is when an AI has a ton of enemys to choose from. This happens because he needs to sort through a massive list and raycast to check if he can see them. But as far as I know performance shouldn't be an issue.

6. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Thanks for the reply.

Just one more quick question. How customizable is all this? Could I use unitys built in nav meshes if I wanted? I'm not saying I do, just trying to work out how easy it is to replace and change things. Because I'm looking at Iphone, I might want to simplify a few things and remove others. A good example might be from you last message,

"The only times you might notice some big spikes is when an AI has a ton of enemys to choose from. This happens because he needs to sort through a massive list and raycast to check if he can see them"

would it be easy enough to bypass this and just pick one at random from my own script?

7. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Everything is open source and most of the main vars and features can be disabled right in the public inspector. You could use Unitys navmesh, but you would have to make the AI's movespeed to 0, so you could use unitys movement(As well you would have to make your own scripts that asks what the AIs current targets or enemys are and if he is hunting or charging, so that you can fill in the blanks for the navmesh). And yes, you can disable enemychoosing right on the public inspector. But just so you know, on PC I have had freefor all matches near 100 units and it performs pretty well. It all depends how many enemys your AI need to choose from. If its player vrs AI, then they only have 1.. Plus just simply choosing a random enemy wouldn't work in most cases, what if that enemy is across the map? Or not visible?

8. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Just a quick thanks for answering my annoying questions. I took a quick look at the free version last night and liked how simple it all was. It was really nice to be able to look at the code and see how everything worked. I have to work on annoying paying work at the moment, but by the weekend I'll be buying a copy from the asset store.

9. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

No problem. Have a great weekend.

10. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

11. toto2003

toto2003

hi greg, i test your ai package, i notice that the ennemy didn t react while getting hit, any chance to play a got hit animation? because it really felt the they ve been hit in the air without effect.

12. Peter Hou

Peter Hou

Hi,

This looks like a really great package :)
    I'm looking into developing a mobile RPG with dynamically generated dungeons. So far, the example videos I've seen are baking the nav mesh for the AI. Is it possible to have a number of packages (maybe asset bundles) that each contain a piece of the level with baked nav mesh that I can then put together dynamically in different ways to create the dungeons? Would that work or am I asking for trouble with such an approach?

13. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

You would likely run into many errors with that approach. Though I am working on a very powerful dynamic Navigation engine that will be compatible(Plugin and play) with Fantasy AI. It should only be a matter of weeks before this new system is released(As a separate package).

Link: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/154639-Dynamic-AI-Project

14. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

There is no support for this as of now. Although if and when I do another update, that would be a priority. It would be simple to do yourself though. You would have to make a script finding out when the AI has taken damage, then play a hit animation, as well making sure the AI does not try to attack or play any other animations during his hit animation.

15. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

So I'm trying again to get this to work, and there are still a bunch of missing prefabs and broken scripts when I import it. I know one person in the thread said v 2.0 only works if you install it over v1.0, but another person said he got it to work with just v2.0. Is there a solid answer on this? I've created a new empty project and imported just Fantasy AI 2.0. The following prefabs all show as missing:

In the NavMesh test scenes - GuardUnit is missing - running the projects don't seem to do anything, there is no AI moving in them.
    In Protect the Crystal - ArcherUnit, ArcherUnitCage1, ArcherUnitCage2, FrontRedGuard, GuardBought, GuardUnit, GuardUnitCage, HouseRedGuard are all missing.

In the project hierarchy, it seems some files are missing - the SpartanKing folder doesn't actually have the model in there, and the prefabs folder only has a few prefabs.

I get a bunch of these errors in Protect the Crystal:

MissingComponentException: There is no 'Renderer' attached to the "SwordGeneric" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    You probably need to add a Renderer to the game object "SwordGeneric". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.
    CharacterDistanceCulling.Update () (at Assets/Fantasy AI 2.0/Scripts/AI/CharacterDistanceCulling.cs:27)

It looks like the culling script is trying to loop through every object in the scene but not all of them have renderers. I couldn't find where this script was actually being called from.

In the actual game, there are a bunch of weird errors: the skeletons and some of the guards are invisible (probably the missing prefabs), and instead of skeletons there are giant scaled-up versions of bracers and swords that spin around in the air weirdly. Most guards don't respond to anything, and the enemies don't react at all. Pressing the left mouse button swings the sword once at the very beginning of the game and then stops working. Here's some screenshots:

Giant swords in distance:

What a skeleton looks like up close:

Project Hierarchy:

In the movies it looked like you had a whole different demo scene, with some archers on a wall and some sort of dinosaur-looking monsters; is that supposed to be included? Because I don't see any of that.

16. HyeMyNameIs

HyeMyNameIs

Issues that I have come across:

- Player can walk through objects that have colliders (sometimes)
    - Playable character can run up a very steep hill (also towers as well) all the way to the top
    - Playable character (Spartan King) auto turns to the left at start
    - When running against an object with collision the player sometimes gets pushed back a few hundred feet
    - On occasion, characters die in mid air and stay in that position until the object is either destroyed or respawns
    - When playable character runs backwards into any object that has colliders, the player runs right through the object; this occurs every time

I noticed a few collision issues in the demo crystal game as well, running straight through walls for example.

I am posting all of my findings here, because i cannot find a Adv Fantasy AI specific forum website, also to see if any other users have experienced similar events.

17. HyeMyNameIs

HyeMyNameIs

That scene with archers was most likely a scene to showcase the possible capabilities. I don't believe it comes with thr package. The characters all came from the asset store it seems like.

18. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Apologies for the delay. I have been very busy and havent checked this thread for a little while.

These errors you are getting are definitely not normal... Are you using Unity 4..? Cause 4 is still in beta and is still pretty unstable.. I can't even use 4, it crashes every 5 minutes on me. If there are any incompatibilities with Unity 4, I cannot even attempt to make it compatible until Unity 4 is released, cause these problems are likely on their end.

EDIT: The video trailer is not included with the package... It would not have been possible for me to include anything from it, much of it is purchased off the asset store.

The player included with Fantasy AI is only a quick simple player script included to get you started... This is an AI package, not a character controller package.

You can use any character controller you want with Fantasy AI. All that is required for the AI to interact with an object is.. Team and Health script, and the correct 'character' collision layer. You could make an AI attack a rock if you wanted to. But all this information is on the help page..

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  19. HyeMyNameIs

HyeMyNameIs

Thank you for response.

That was a thought of mine, I will do what you have suggested.

Where is the Help page you mentioned?

20. wisien92

wisien92

I found somewhere souch infromation:

Indie license: 80$
    Commercial license: 150$

So if i buy and i want to make game without taking money for that game do i still need to pay for license?

And also is it easy to use your combat system?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  21. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey, game prefabs has a Indie and Commercial License. The commercial License is for larger companies with teams exceeding 10 or so people. The Indie license is for small teams, how much money you make has nothing to do with anything.

22. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey everyone. So with the release of Unity 4, it appears there are some problems with Fantasy AI 2.0. So I am going to do an update soon.
    Now is your chance to make some requests for changes you would like to see(Nothing to complex, just small)

Have a great weekend!

Rob.

23. bbsbot

bbsbot

I have one question after saw some tutorials video on youtube.

there are slots named "attack animations, run, attackstand, death, walk, stand" in the "AI script", but there is no something like "on hit animation".

so, i wonder:

if two character attacking each other. will we see they actually be hit before death?

24. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

This is something I plan to implement in the next update!

25. Venged

Venged

Does Fantasy AI work with Unity 4. Should I wait for your next update before continuing to work on the game I used Fantasy AI for?

26. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

The AI itself works fine. Mostly just other things like the character culling system, and the spawning in Protect The Crystal.

27. Venged

Venged

Thanks, that's not so bad(-: I really appreciate your assets. This kit made things a lot easier. You will always get 5 stars from me.

Robert
    AKA Venged

28. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks. You may want to check out 'Dynamic Navigation'. Its currently under review for the asset store. its 100% compatible with Fantasy AI out of the box. Its a completely dynamic pathfinding system. You can instantly create multilayer very high resolution grids without affecting performance.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/154639-Dynamic-AI-Project

29. Venged

Venged

Looks and plays great! I'll buy it when it becomes available. Thanks

Robert
    AKA Venged

30. robpen

robpen

Hey Rob.
    My request would be that any updates/improvements you make would be made compatible not only for Unity 4, but for Unity 3 as well. I bought your Fantasy AI 2.0 and am eager to use it, but I have Unity 3 Pro and probably won't be able to upgrade to Unity 4 Pro unless they have a steep discount on upgrades at some point - and I'd hate to miss any updates to your code.

Thanks

31. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

32. Venged

Venged

33. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Haha, well that was the original plan. But the admins took a rather long time to review it..

34. panz3r

panz3r

This is not what is write on your site in the license
    "3.Indie and Commercial Licenses. An “Indie” license can be purchased if an individual or company’s revenue is under fifty thousand US dollars (US$50,000). If you have purchased the “indie” license, then the Licensed Application is for you own use only and may not be shared with any other person."

35. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

If anyone has any concerns regarding the licenses for GamePrefabs, please contact the Tornado Twins. They are great guys I'm sure they can be of assistance!

Email: Support@gameprefabs.com

Rob.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  36. agent_Macgyver

agent_Macgyver

I erased the question I just asked because I was able to solve it by making a better NavMesh. Took a while, but I am very happy with the result.

I now have another question, though:

I have archers spawn, then run to a certain point in my castle, and they attack the enemy from their various positions - the problem is that the archers run around after each shot, and sometimes jump off the ledges into the enemies below. How can I make them stand still after arriving at their position?

Thanks, I love your package!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  37. murteas

murteas

Any news on this update? I am just starting a new project and I'd like to use Unity 4 ( fantasy AI 2.x). I'd love to start with the latest version though.

38. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Fantasy AI will work fine with Unity 4.0. But right now I have a bit much on my plate. I am participating in the DX11 competition as well as working on releasing Dynamic Navigation 1.0. But its coming! Could be as long as February though.

39. murteas

murteas

Thanks for the response. I was more wondering if I should just press ahead with the version I have or wait for a new version if it was coming in the very near future. I'll continue with my work and update when it comes out.

40. murteas

murteas

Are there any suggestions on how to use this with a non-humanoid model. Say a dragon. It seems when I put the empty ai capsules on it and try to size them correctly, I am having a problem with the model floating above the ground and not attacking correctly.

41. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey. Well this isnt designed to work with flying AI. But you could have them hover by scaling their capsule. Also did you try increasing the attack range?

42. murteas

murteas

Not necessarily looking to use it for flying, but I was trying to use a long creature instead of a humanoid. So there shouldn't be a problem using it with a non-humanoid creature. I may just need to get the capsule right. Editing the attack range, may fix the problem as well.

43. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Yeah you shouldn't have too much trouble. You can add extra colliders as childern if you need to as well.

44. murteas

murteas

I have to say, I love this package (going to go rate it now). You have done some great work. Any chance we'll see more updates in the future?

I'd love a hit animation (animation when a character is hit by an attack).

Also the ability to have a character that has both a ranged and melee attack (say a fighter mage who slings spells from range and then charges in to attack). Or can you do this by simply changing his damage value on a melee attack?

In any case, Great Job!

45. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Its funny you asked about hit animations. I was paid by someone to integrate a hit animation. So yes I have code ready for that. As for ranged and Melee I'm not sure, we will see. ;) But there will eventually be a 2.1, might take a while with how much is currently on my plate. :)

46. Pirogun

Pirogun

Is this pack compatible with the character system? Is your other Dynamic AI pack also compatible?

47. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I believe a few people have used Fantasy AI with the character system. And theres no reason Dynamic Navigation wouldn't be. :)

48. Pirogun

Pirogun

Ok Thanks and another question is how customizable is the combat system?

49. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Well, your public options of customizable variables are, attack speed, damage, animations, melee or ranged, attack distance, ect. :)

50. Pirogun

Pirogun

Thanks, What are the requirements of the scripts (Like do they need a camera) because I already have a camera system for my main player