Search Unity

Fantasy AI 2.0 [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by brilliantgames, Mar 1, 2012.

1. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/BrilliantGameStudios

Important note on help questions: I am very busy with many projects, and I run several threads. However, you are far more likely to get a response by simply sending me a PM right here on the Unity forums. Just specify which package and what your problem is.

Purchase Now Through Any Of The Following Links!
    Game Prefabs Link: http://www.gameprefabs.com/products/show/653
    Unity Asset Store Link: http://u3d.as/content/brilliant-game-studios/advanced-fantasy-ai-pack/2Qt

Looking for an upgrade in Navigation/Pathfinding? Well how bout a completely dynamic pathfinding system? Check out the latest project from Brilliant Games, 100% compatible with Fantasy AI!

Asset Store: http://u3d.as/content/brilliant-game-studios/dynamic-navigation-beta-/3FZ

Forum Thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/154639-Dynamic-AI-Project

TRY THE FREE VERSION TO GET A GOOD TASTE OF FANTASY AI! http://u3d.as/content/brilliant-game-studios/advance-fantasy-ai-free-edition/3jS

INTRODUCING FANTASY AI FREE EDITION!!

Visit the thread link below to find out more!!
    Thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/149691-Fantasy-AI-FREE-Edition!!

Free Edition Trailer!

Screen shot of demo included with the free edition.

Tutorials
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/129422-Advanced-Fantasy-AI-Tutorials

Donate
    If you support Brilliant Game Studios and the many hours of work that have gone into Advanced Fantasy AI, you may make a donation. Click the link below
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...P-DonationsBF:btn_donateCC_LG.gif:NonH osted

Follow us onTwitter!
    https://twitter.com/BrilliantGames

NEW Battle Video(Fantasy AI 2.0)

TORNADO TWINS In Association With Brilliant Game Studios Presents, Advanced Fantasy AI 2.0!(Video Tutorial)

OFFICIAL TRAILER FOR VERSION 2.0!

Introduction
    Brilliant Game Studios brings you The Advanced Fantasy AI package. This AI package is over 5 months full time in the making. With countless advanced features and behaviors, this AI package gives you everything you need to start your RPG, Adventure, Strategy or even FPS! If the videos arent convincing enough, try testing the AI for yourself in a fun mini game called Protect The Crystal Life Source. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65183439/WebPlayer.html

Behavior
    All stats and behaviors are customizable in the editor. I wont list all of the behaviours, but many of them are fairly standard and are what you would expect. There are a few behaviors I consider to be treats. One of these "treats" is the "Find Help On Retreat" behavior. If this is checked off, the AI will seek out friendly help if the odds are against him. He will pathfind to the friendly he wants to seek out, and ask him for help. The friendly AI will respond and they will both find the enemy together.
    The AI has forward vision using raycasting, but has alertness to the proximity of his enemy(this can be used for if you want the AI to hear you coming). The enemy can target whatever you want. Its team based! Just throw a team script on anything and he knows whether or not he should attack that character(or even object). You can chose to make an AI 'Hostle', meaning he attacks anything that has a team script on it, including other hostles(this could be used for deatchmatch type combat).

Pathfinding
    Fantasy AI 2.0 comes with a Navigational Mesh Generator, as well as smooth pathfinding. The waypoints within the Navigational mesh are baked for instant and efficient path-finding. Moving obstacles and characters in your scene? No problem, the AI have a obstacle/character avoidance built in, you can control which obstacles they will avoid with tags.

Conclusion:
    Thank you for visiting this thread on The Advanced Fantasy AI Package. Please, if you are interested, take the time to watch some of the videos below demonstrating the capabilities of the AI. There is also a link to a mini game below. Thank You, Robert Weaver Brilliant Game Studios.

New Features In 2.0

1. Navigational mesh generator with smooth pathfinding.

2. New improved animation system.

3. Patrol path behavors.

4. Dynamic Obstacle and character avoidance system.

5. Head turning controller.

6. Can have multiple attack animations randomly selected.

7. More options for control, like choosing to walk to target instead of run. As well control over turn speed for both combat and obstacle avoidance.

8. Overall combat behavor and decision making improved and smoothed out.

Fixes

1. Script available for destroying AI's without potential errors.( https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65183439/Destroy ai/AIDestroy.rar )

2. All attack range glitches fixed.

3. Bake time for navigation over 3 times as fast + greater accuracy.

4. Animations smoothed out.

5. Fixed companion glitches(In V1.0 AI would get stuck between charging at his enemy and keeping close to companion leader).

Medieval DeathMatch!

Hey everyone! Here is a game I made in one day! Its a Medieval DeathMatch! Battle with up to 42 state of the art ai bots in a fight for 20 frags!! This game is made to demonstrate the combat in Advanced Fantasy AI 2.0. Give it a try and let me know what you think! It will be worth your time. :)

Instructions:

-W, A, S, D to move around.
    -Mouse to look around.
    -Left Click to attack.
    -Press E to add bots, F to remove
    -To change Bot difficulty, use number keys 1-3.
    -Press Tab to see scores.

Enjoy! link https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65183439/Mid-Evil DeathMatch/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

ScreenShot:

TRY VERSION 2.0 OF THE MINI GAME PROTECT THE CRYSTAL NOW!(With new AI system)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65183439/Protect The Crystal 2.0/WebPlayer.html

New features like, ordering your units to any location

Player can now respawn

Improved Visuals, more lush vegetation and rocks

Try the old mini game to see how far Fantasy AI has come!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65183439/WebPlayer.html

Windows Exclusive mini game. 1.0.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65183439/Protect The Crystal(Windows Exclusive).z ip

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    erik_malkavian and AlexIsmere like this.
  2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Will you release it on the asset store?
    Are this in c#?
    Can i use this for mobiles like for ios devices?

Looking realy nice :)
    When i look at this i have a little "massive" feeling ;)

3. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

This is in c#. And yes it is massive! I have tested with 200 AI units before at just under 20fps. Been working very hard to make it as efficient as possible. As for platforms, its too early to say. I have only tested this for windows. But thank you for showing interest and I'll keep this forum up to date on the progress of this AI.

4. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Looks really good ... I could probably use it in my next project.

5. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thank you for the comment. This asset will include a great mini game that will contain many other useful scripts. Who knows, it may be all you need to create a great adventure/RPG game without scripting!

6. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

7. kmgilbert100

kmgilbert100

id pay 50 bucks for it looks amazing

8. elias_t

elias_t

Excelent.

I would be interested definitely in this.

9. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thank you so much for your feedback, its appreciated. One thing I forgot to mention! I run a recording studio with plenty of fancy gear. As we speak I am recording over 20 different voice overs for a generic guard ai, and a monster/zombie ai. Each state will have 3 different sounds randomly selected. These voiceovers are recorded with a 2000 dollar studio microphone into a 2000 dollar tube pre amp. Stay tuned for all these features in upcoming videos. :)

10. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

A very unique close and personal AI demonstration video/playable demo is coming soon! Very excited to show this off!. :)

11. murteas

murteas

This looks very promising. If it is flexible enough to use in a turn based combat game, I'd definitely be interested.

12. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

It definitely will be. If you want full control over the AI you can disable the behaviour tree. This leaves all the features/behaviours of the AI but no decision making. Enabling you to control the AI through scripts/triggers. Also, I am just finishing up the 'dynamic teams' feature. This means you can switch the units team during gameplay giving you full control who attacks who, and when. Thank you for showing interest, more media content/features are coming soon. :)

13. janpec

janpec

That looks very promising, 200 AIs with 20 fps is quite good. Could you provide random triangle count of scene that is viewed trough camera when you get 20 frames? Or in other words what is triangle count of each skeleton? You must have done great job on optimisation of scripts, if each of those characters is casting raycasts to find targets.

14. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thank you for the comment. At the moment I won't be able to give you a triangle count. The skeleton model is the free asset from the asset store, it is well modelled and fairly low poly. I designed a normal map for it, so I'm sure that adds a bit of stress. As for targeting enemy's? Raycasting is only one of the variables. I cant give away the exact method, but the AI's method of choosing his opponent is a combination of several methods and variables which makes it so he only has to use one raycast at all times(except for simple pathfinding). I will be posting more updates/media and information soon! :)

15. lockbox

lockbox

This looks very interesting.

Some suggestions...

- Make your opponents different colors
    - Have demo videos that show 1v2, 1v3, 1v5 and 2v2, 2v3, 2v5
    - Need some ranged weapons or spellcasters. Yes, I know, not melee, but you really need a complete package!

Also...

Take a look the AI in this video. The AI is over the top! The developer talks about grouping, interception, ranged enemies keeping their distance and enemies staying out of each other's way. I wish there was a better copy of this, but this is all I could find online. There may be a commercial before the actual video.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/developer-diary-chronicles-of/22802

16. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey. Thank you for the input! I have mentioned before that this is a very early demonstration. I don't want to post too much more media until the AI is at least near complete. There have been dramatic improvements since the video that is currently posted. I wont ramble about all the new features just yet, but i will say, at the time of the video, it was only around 400 lines of code. I wanted to get opinions of the progress so far. Now the code already exceeds over a thousand lines of code. It may be over a month before I actually put this on the asset store, there is still much to do. But when its nearing the final stages, I will post more detailed and high quality media content. Once again, thanks so much for the input!

17. granada

granada

Love the way thet nip out for a quick breather :D,looks realy cool.

Dave

18. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks for the observation. That specific behaviour has become a little more complex now. You now have the option to enable 'seek help'. When they feel the odds are against them they will seek out a friendly that is not currently busy and ask him for help through dialogue.

19. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

The map I've been using to test the AI. Decided to test in an typical environment they might actually be used in. Made this map in about 20 minutes.

20. janpec

janpec

Please post more videos of fights in map like this would be interesting to see it, also what is going to be price for AI?

21. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I'm curious about that too.

22. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

There are some very interesting videos coming soon. The video that is posted is actually on this map. As for price, I havent decided yet. I want people to tell me what they think its worth. What do you think this is worth? (keep in mind, the AI will be at least twice as good as what you see in the video, as well a mini game will be included with it that will have many other useful scripts).

23. janpec

janpec

Cant wait for video, does AI allow by default to put certain objects or AIs in one team and others in second? Also is it possible to simply adjust it for everyone to fight on their own? I am curious about how easy is to change those varibles as i am not coder.

24. danreid70

danreid70

Would love to see this with ability to add multiple melee animations and during attack, have it choose one of them at random - so it looks less "canned" (if a model has multiple melee animations). Also, DEFINITELY ranged attack. I know the title is "Advanced Melee AI...", but with the minimal amount of coding it would take to have an enemy character stop at X-units from target, and fire a ranged weapon, and try to stay far enough back, or switch to melee attack if inside X-units range from target... THAT would be sweet!!!

Also, will this script include a spawner (ie. waves of enemies)? You'd have a complete game-in-a-box, just-add-models/sounds! :) Oh, and while I'm adding items to the Xmas list, weapon prefabs and transform position selector so that switching between ranged and melee attack, could switch between weapon models... And if you could add multi-player code, out-of-the-box, that would flippin RULE! :) sorry - we should have to code at least SOMETHING for our own games, eh? LOL - ohyeah, and while I'm at it: MMORPG button that we could click so we can have a World of Warcraft game at the click of a button... (that's sarcasm right there... :) )

I'd pay $50 for it, at least. As an Indie, that wouldn't be too much at all in my mind. AI is tricky, and I definitely feel that re-inventing a wheel, when there are better ones available - saves SO MUCH time!

I really like what you're doing here, it looks really good so far! Can't wait to see the first full release in the Asset Store! You already have a few buyers it seems... :)

25. lockbox

lockbox

Very true. The key thing is, that there is enough flexibility built in to tweak certain parameters.

For me, the Total War series (http://www.totalwar.com/) is the measuring stick by which I'm comparing this AI for many-to-many combat. There are demo versions of those games out on steam, so I definitely encourage everyone to check them out.

The original Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War game also has some great AI in it, and that melee AI has to engage vehicles and structures. It's fun just to watch the combat sometimes. This game also has a demo (http://download.cnet.com/Warhammer-40-000-Dawn-of-War-demo/3000-7483_4-10317161.html).

26. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

The team system is very simple to setup! Its a separate script. You literally enter in the team number you want that AI to be on, in the editor. I also just recently made a 'dynamic teams' feature. Where you can switch teams in real time instantly, giving you full control over who attacks who and when.

27. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey. Thanks so much for the wish list haha. I am going to try to include as many features as possible to give the user as much control as he can. It is tough as one many to try and pre program the AI to just simply work for every situation he is thrown into. It really is impossible. Which is why I am make easy check boxes to disable behaviours and features. I hope this video isnt giving people the wrong impression. The video was only to show it operating in a mass scale. I cant wait to show more close personal looks. As for ranged AI, I cant garrentee anything yet. That might be something I tackle later after release as an update. I just want to perfect everything else first. But thank you for the comment and interest. Kepp in touch!

28. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Almost every stat and parameter, is customizable in the editor. My only worry are people being overwhelmed with the massive check list and numbers. Its getting more stable and intelligent everyday, but is getting more complex. I believe the thing that makes a script most 'flexible' is the ability to disable components instantly without error. Cause in your game, you need full control. Yes, the Total war series has unbelievable AI. To be realistic, I don't think we can count on my AI really measuring up to it. As well, using the physics of unity makes it impossible to have that kind of scale of AI as the total war games. But I am very excited to most more videos and content letting this speak for itself. Thank you.

29. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Even if you put a team script on a crate and made it an opposing team to an AI. He would try to attack it! :D

30. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Announcement! A* pathfinding and all the major behaviours are nearly ready to showcase in detail!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  31. janpec

janpec

Does this means that you will also include your own A star pathfinding? Also does AI move only trough A star or other methods too?

32. lockbox

lockbox

Awesome! I'm looking forward to the video/demo.

If you're going to use blocks, please indicate the front face of the block for field of view. Maybe put an arrow on the top indicating the forward direction. Thanks!!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  33. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Yes I include my very own A* path finding with this AI. It activates A* pathfinding only when needed(unless you bypass it, you can make him target whatever u want). If the AI is not using complex path finding he is using a simple V shaped raycast, to turn left or right when near small or simple obstacles. All you have to do to set up A* pathfinding is, add a cube or any shape you like, and throw the waypoint script I made on it. Then place the cube on ever corner in complex areas. He will navigate these according to where his target is. There are no limits to the amount of targets, although it will slow down with the more AI's that are currently pathfinding independently.

34. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

The blocks you see are actually waypoints. You add the waypoint script i made to a cube and it automatically figure out which other waypoints they link up with using raycasting at the start. In a complex area, you add a block/waypoint to every corner. The AI will navigate these according to where his target is. :)

35. janpec

janpec

Damn this sounds really nice, from what i see from pictures and your words this seems very easy to set up, just what i was looking.

36. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Announcement! New videos and web demos showcasing behaviour and A* pathfinding, will be posted within the next few days!(currently uploading A* pathfinding showcase video) I hope to be submitting this to the Asset store in just over a week!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  37. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

New videos posted! They still don't fully do the AI justice so far! But it still reveals more than the first video. I'm very excited for the final video and playable demo coming in the next few days! Heres a quick beta teaser! This screen shot shows the new 'companion' feature. Where the AI will support his companion leader. PS, the videos are posted on the first page of this thread.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  38. janpec

janpec

Hehe those sounds are so funny:D Nice video cant wait for more updates.

39. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Haha thanks. I have a recording studio, I get bored sometimes and make zombie sounds. :D

40. lockbox

lockbox

As always, I have a lot of questions. Sorry.

1. In your current version, is there an option to include a leader and his personal guards? How about a group leader and his lieutenants? If not, is this something you plan to implement in the future?

2. When you run the game over and over again, do you get the same outcome? How are you dealing with the requirement for variability?

3. Can you set it up so that one group is well organized and trained, and the opposing group is unorganized and not well trained?

4. If you make one side have more health, more accuracy, more damage, attack faster or move faster - or any combination of these, does that side always win? It would be great if you did a perpetual test on your side and tallied the results.

5. Organized retreat while fighting?

6. How about run and flee if the battle seems lost?

7. How about run and flee in all directions and the opposing force hunts them down?

8. Are you decaying individual fighter performance as their health goes down? i.e. strength, accuracy, movement speed

9. How about an injured and fatigued fighter that just slowly steps away from battle and dies - or just collapses in combat without being hit?

10. Does everyone on the losing side have to die? lol Can't some of them just be mortally wonded, lay injured on the ground and be carried off or walk off the battlefield after the battle is over?

Yes, I know, very demanding requirements, but if you can do it all, you'll have one truly awesome AI!!!

41. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

No problem, I love answering questions. One thing I can say. Most of these features you are asking for are a bit too specific. I have to make sure I don't go into too much detail in those areas. The more little detailed behaviours I put in, the more complex it becomes, and the refore the user has less control over exactly what he wants the AI to do. To answer the question about skill levels. You can change every single stat of the AI in the editor and during gameplay. Some examples may include, damage, health, run speed, health regeneration, reaction time, these are just some of the many customizable features. I'm in the middle of working on the 'Companion' feature. Its as simple as checking off 'companion' and assigning his leader. Once this is setup, he will follow and support his leader. In the mini game you will be able to ask the unit to assist you and you can tell him to go to a location and guard, or to stay put. But many of these features in the mini game are small simple triggers set up in minutes that use his existing behaviours. For the question about retreating. I am still in the middle of working on the advanced retreat option called, 'find help on retreat'. The AI will scan for the closest friendly AI that is not currently busy, pathfind to him, and ask him for help. I even include dialogue with the guard voice asking him for help, and the other AI will respond. All in all, to answer the rest of your questions, yes. All of what you asked for is possible with your own triggers and scripts. There really isnt much 'team management' scripting cause thats a whole different story outside this AI. There will be some team managing in the mini game that could help get you started if you wanted to use this for a strategy based game. You will understand how it all works when I get this demo out. You may be surprised to know that this AI will work just the same weather it be strategy, RPG, stealth or adventure. Thank you for showing interest. Spread the word if you wish. :)

42. lockbox

lockbox

Awesome! Thanks for answering my questions!

43. psyclone

psyclone

Gimme, I want ... :)

Nah looks and sounds very very promising, and sounds like a lot of the work I was just setting up to do is already done here..... Sale once you release.

Cheers

44. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Why thank you. :)

45. janpec

janpec

I have to say that features that lockbox described would be very nice, especially similar system to Mount and blade, but hey i know thats a lot work, maybe if you will have spare time in future that would be really nice to have.

46. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I couldn't agree more. I would like to release it when all the important main features are done. Then focus on the cool little details and release an update. Its very tough to add lots of little details and still give full control to the user over what the AI does. It is possible to have all of these features, but some of them might have to be on separate little bonus scripts that you add if you want the AI to, I guess fall into a certain 'genre'. Thanks for the comment!

47. blurededge

blurededge

Looking at your demo videos, and the features you describe, I think a price point between $50 - $100 USD sounds fair given the going rates for Unity assets. Given that, I think you will find a lot of takers. Anyone who is serious about publishing a game and making a profit on it would consider that investment well worth the while to save the time they would otherwise have to spend coding an enemy AI themselves.

If I may make a suggestion, focus on making the base powerful, flexible and not too cluttered. That way developers can write their own scripts to extend your AI's functionality as suits the needs of their specific game. Ideally, make sure your script has lots of notations so scripters can more easily figure out how to hook into it and extend it's functionality. Later, you might release add on modules that add in some of these extra functions that some of the other forum members are asking for.

If you go the add on route, I would suggest keeping the price for the base AI on the lower end of my suggested scale (or even a little lower, though not much), and sell the add ons for a reasonable price. I suspect what you will get is plenty of people start with the base AI then just add the features as they find them necessary for their given project. The ability to only pay for the features you need is nice; so long as the base AI doesn't feel like it was stripped of features it should have had in the first place in order to create add ons.

Some ideas I would suggest (feel free to use or discard at your own discretion) for future upgrade packs might be:

1. Ranged fighters add on - To create the ability for the AI to manage ranged fighters as well

2. Elite teams add on - allows the AI to more effectively control small to mid size teams of units with specialized skills. For example, a unit might have two melee fighters, an archer, a spell caster who can deal spike damage but has a longer refresh time, and a buffer. The AI would have various strategies for effectively controlling these units in a coordinated manner. Of course it would keep the ranged and second line fighters in the rear (duh), but it would need to do other things as well like have the buffer use it's buffs intelligently, and have the ranged units effectively cover a retreat when the melee units are beaten up to the point where defeat is imminent rather than just letting them die. Beyond that it would have strategies for implementing an effective rear guard action were the team pursued by their enemies. Something else that might be included in this add on module would be an "organization rating" for the teams. Everything from untrained where the units essentially act independently and do not coordinate up to the afore mentioned elite unit which will use the most highly effective strategies possible and be capable of doing things like setting up ambushes and surprise attacks; with many stops in between.

3. Specific combat style add on: This would emulate a specific historical combat style, from the regimented ranks of the British army during the Napoleonic era to modern gorilla warfare tactics like hit and run and functions that enable or enhance ambushes (for example, when a developer sets up an ambush in a good location, the AI automatically seeks to cut off the means of retreat.

4. Scouts and skirmishers add on: This would allow the developer to designate specific units within a larger group to move ahead of the main group to provide intelligence to the main group or force an opponent to spring an ambush prematurely (skirmishers). The method of communication with the main group should be selectable based on the era the game is set in. For example a game set in ancient times might require the scouts actually get a man out to contact the main group, while one set in modern times might assume radio communication.

Unique unit personality add on: Give specific units "personality traits" like Cowardice (higher percentage chance of them running when they are injured), Beserker (tends to attack randomly and less prone to helping allied units), Valor (would fight to the end no matter what), Sneeky (seeks to take advantage of distracted enemy units to attack them from behind), and Mastermind (rather than engaging directly in combat at all times, seeks to move allied units around to make them more effective. Killing the mastermind would make the AI controlled units that much less effective).

The advantage to both yourself and the community at large of taking the modular approach is it allows you the time to develop all the add on modules so they are polished and highly efficient, while still earning some income from your pre-existing products. Plus, it lets the developers take a buffet approach to the enemy AI and only buy the components they need for their game. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your AI on the market! I can see a lot of use for this in the Unity community.

48. Cryptnar

Cryptnar

reminds me of total war

49. janpec

janpec

Have to say, that is really very important and pretty much anyone that would use this AI would probably also use ranged fighters.

50. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I will definitely take that as a compliment! Although these AI are actually targeted more for RPG adventure then strategy, they would work great for strategy as well!