Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantasy Adventure Environment - A stylized asset pack (Built-in/URP)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Aug 1, 2017.

1. jmpedros

jmpedros

Hi!
    I recently bought the package and I have a problem with the grass shader wind system. I used Vegetation studio to spread it on my terrain and i noticed that as closed to the center of the map the grass is, it seems to lose the wind strenght. I turned on the visualize wind texture and it is equal in all terrain. I Also noticed that the foliage shader (which also uses the wind controller system) doesn't have this problem.
    Is there any way of using unity wind zone component instead of using the wind controller?

Thanks in advance!

2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That's strange, the wind strength is a constant value.Though if only the grass shader has this issue, something must be wrong. Though no immediate answers come to mind...

Could you tell me how large your terrain is in size? That way I could try and reproduce it. It could possibly be related to floating point precision errors, which is not unheard of with very large scenes.

In the following update I will add scripting functionality which will allow the WindController script to "listen" to a WindZone's values. Unfortunately, it's not possible to use a WindZone only, this has very different internal workings.

3. jmpedros

jmpedros

These are my terrain settings

Attached Files:

4. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thanks! This is the same size as my test terrain for Vegetation Studio.

I've debugged the shader, and the wind strength is the same in the center and at the edges of my terrain. Also please note that shorter grass may appear to move less.

If you could make a video of the issue, that would be most helpful. I know that is a lot to ask, but I unfortunately cannot explain the issue you're having.

5. jmpedros

jmpedros

Hope is helpful for solving the issue

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gteRTCTHr1ZEIFFwmYr9uiCJyHaa8GEv

6. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

7. YUUKI_0619

YUUKI_0619

こんにちわ。
    商用利用について教えていただけますか?

こんにちは。商用利用について教えてください。
    ごめんなさい。私はGoogle翻訳を使っています。

8. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

(Everything you buy on the asset store can be used in a commercial game or media product, so you're free to do so!)

アセットストアで購入したものはすべて、商用のゲームやメディア製品で使用できるため、自由に使用できます。

9. jmpedros

jmpedros

Hi,

I have a terrain separate in multy scene chunks and I would like to apply the pigment map generator in it. I tried to connect the terrains from my separate scenes into the script array but it did'nt work. Is there a way to use it in multi-scene terrain?

Thanks in advance

10. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The terrains you assign to the array are used to generate the initial pigment map, which is then saved to a file. But these terrains need to be active and visible in your scene or order to render them. You cannot cross-reference them from other scenes unfortunately, this is a Unity limitation.

You will have to render the pigment map in a scene that has all the terrain objects in it (if possible). After the map is rendered, the summed terrain size and position, as well as a reference to the pigment map file is stored on the component itself, this can be saved as a prefab if so desired.

At runtime, this information is passed to the grass shader. So after you've generated a pigment map, you no longer need the array of terrains, this is an editor-only thing.

11. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

A random question. After putting all these rocks on the terrain i get allot of rocks hehe. How does one handle that i mean is there a method to optimize it by baking mesh or do something else? What is the procedure for instantiating allot of stuff like rocks for example? Or is there an asset for that?

12. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

When it comes to optimization the answer is always "it depends" :p. If you have a large open terrain spanning several kilometers then there's different measures to take from a small island. In most cases you can make use of Static Batching. Streaming using World Streamer or SECTR are also viable solutions for a lot of set ups.

On another note, uploading version 1.2.3 now:

Added:
    - WindController can now adjust the overall wind effect based on a WindZone's "Main" value.

Fixed:
    - Water shader not compiling on MacOS when using Metal rendering

Changed:
    - Foliage shader now uses a different wind animation method, resulting in less mesh deformation
    - PigmentMapGenerator, improved workflow when using MegaSplat
    - PigmentMapGenerator, improved support for mesh terrains with a centered pivot point.
    - Minor improvements to tree branch shader
    - Removed LOD group from plants with only one mesh

HalDevOne likes this.
  13. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

I switched to creating terrain with gaia. And i added the Pigmentmapg to the terrain but i cant seem to generate a map. The map turns lightblue? I have the latest unity & FAE updates.

14. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Sorry for so many questions hehe but i cant get the substance materials to work. I have installed the plugin. Updated FAE. Did that texture choise to substance and get allot of errors that just keep piling up. Then when i click on for example FAE_TerrainGrass substance its all blank and it seems like some script is missing.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  15. RaoulWB

RaoulWB

Something very similar happened to me, at first Isimply ignored those errors, but as i noticed they didn't let me build the game I tried deleting and redownloading both Substance for Unity and FAE. Doing so only made it worse and now every tree is just some white planes.
    Guess I'll have to let go the customizability of substances for a while, isn't it?

16. catherineomega

catherineomega

First, wow, what an amazing asset. Gorgeous stuff!

But here's a question: What's going on with the lighting (directional lighting?) drawing objects with FAE_Foliage and FAE_Grass as black? At first, I thought the wrong shader was loading, but it seems to be lighting-related. Moving the camera changes what is black and what's not; turning the lighting off causes it to display correctly. Am I missing something?

(Please note: this is on a very old Mac that doesn't support Metal.)

17. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I've tracked down the (possible) issue and will have this fixed today!

Could you tell me what the error says? That may help me understand what could be going on.

Strange, it may have something to do with light transmission, since it's the only light-related function. There's a good chance if you set the "Transmission amount" to 0 it will go away, that's at least a temporary workaround.

I also have an older Mac, so I'll try to reproduce it in 2017.4, I haven't encountered this before.

Edit: Fixed, thanks for pointing it out!

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    catherineomega likes this.
  18. Racoon_7

Racoon_7

I have probably the same problem since I updated to the newest version.
    Regular materials work fine, but once the substance materials are enabled, it stops working.

Everything looks roughly like this (new project, fresh import of FAE and the Substance plugin):

Reimporting "Source" folder and shaders doesn't help, and the problem persist in Unity 2018.1, 2018.2b04 and 2018.2b05.

Code (csharp):
    2. MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.TryGetGUIDAndLocalFileIdentifier'.
    4. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    5. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    7. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    8. UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal.PostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] importedAssets, System.String[] addedAssets, System.String[] deletedAssets, System.String[] movedAssets, System.String[] movedFromPathAssets) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetPostprocessor.cs:130)
    9. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:Refresh()
    10. FAE.FAE_Core:InstallSubstance() (at Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/Editor/FAE_Core.cs:81)
    11. FAE.FAE_Core:InstallMaterials(MaterialInstallation) (at Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/Editor/FAE_Core.cs:44)
    12. FAE.SCPE_Window:DrawInstallation() (at Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/Editor/FAE_Core.cs:345)
    13. FAE.SCPE_Window:OnGUI() (at Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/Editor/FAE_Core.cs:203)
    14. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

RaoulWB likes this.
  19. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thank you, this is super helpful!

I just tried an empty project, imported the FAE package, went to download the Substance plugin when I noticed this message:

"Updating 2.0.0 to 2.0.1 will break Substances."

Well that's frustrating to say the least...

I'm going to see what I can do about that. Once all Substance materials work again, I will have to re-submit the package for Unity 2018+

HalDevOne likes this.
  20. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Do you think there is a way to blend the Rock terrain texture with the prefab rocks? So that they blend in to eachother without notice? Like a pigmentmap for rocks? I tried mixing with colors baking similar textures but it still is not quite close.

21. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I know MegaSplat and MicroSplat have terrain blending functionality. Supposedly it works with custom meshes and shaders. I haven't tried it myself, but may be worth checking out.

22. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitting an update today, namely to fix some current issues:

1.2.4:
    Fixed:
    - Grass and foliage shader, light transmission issue on OpenGL
    - PigmentMapGenerator fixes for some scenarios
    - (2018+) Compatibility with Substance plugin v2.0.1

catherineomega likes this.
  23. dustin_pau1

dustin_pau1

When should we expect 1.2.4 to be available for download? I still see 1.2.3 on the asset store. I had an issue where the pigment map wouldn't generate the correct map and I'm hoping this version fixes it.

24. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

It depends on when it is approved by the asset store team, fortunately this is between 1-3 business days recently.

25. marcrem

marcrem

Sent an email to Staggart but just found this thread so I thought I'd post here in case it could benefit anyone having the same issue.

When I'm using a static / non moving directionnal light, I don't get any problems.

However, no matter how I use it, if I have a directionnal light that's rotating to simulate day cycles, I get a weird flickering on the trees. Even if I stop the light's rotation, it still flickers.

Video :

Would you have any idea how to solve this? Could it be in conflict with the skybox?

Note that I'm using UFPS for the controller, but that it doesn't seem to be doing anything on the rendering side..

thank you Sooooo much! This package looks so good.

26. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Are you by any chance using "Tenkoku Dynamic Sky"? There was someone who had the same issue, after a lot of back and forth communication we still didn't manage to pinpoint the issue.

A (temporary) workaround is to bring the light transmission on all your branch materials to 0, since this is what you're seeing flickering between on and off.

27. Ramulos

Ramulos

Im having the same issue! Had it for a long time, no solution so far. I thought it was cause of enviro the wheather/day/night cycle system I use for my game or cause of VR. Never considered it was the trees. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

28. Necka_

Necka_

Hello,

I don't know if features request is possible for this asset but I'd like to do one :p

For my terrain texturing I really love the grass and the dirt materials; I used the substance graph to make some variation but I'm really missing a couple of things. Would love to see those options added to the Substance material:

-For the Grass, would it be possible to have small stones details (with a cursor for quantity and another for size). Would be great that the stones are the same style of your cliffs of course

-For the Dirt I'm missing a pebble color cursor; in real life the pebble are rarely the same color as the dirt, they are little rocks and usually more greyish or at least a bit brighter - otherwise it's more looking like clay than dirt (like the one found in Uncharted 4 where your car get stuck and so on, if you played it)

That's all I'd love to see so far :p

29. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Still same problem with the pigmentmap, its not working? Have the latest FAE.

Attached Files:

30. Necka_

Necka_

Check the box "using third party terrains" it should work (since the update that did the trick for me with Megasplat)

31. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Tenkoku and Enviro both use two directional lights, one for the sun, and the other for the moon. Even though one may have an intensity of 0, for Unity's renderer it's still active. The FAE branch shader samples the directional light's direction vector, in order to calculate the amount of light transmission. If there are two directional lights, the shader may alternate between them constantly, causing a flicker.

Oddly enough, I haven't been able to reproduce the issue with both systems. So i would be most helpful if you could try Enviro/Tenkoku in the FAE demo scene, that may tell me if the issue is related to project settings, rather than being scene-specific. The answer is lying somewhere in a nook, I'd be curious to know what causes it so I can implement a fix or workaround :)

This seems pretty useful, thanks for the suggestion, so I'll add this to the materials when I have the time!

For any third party terrain shader, the checkbox must be ticked as @Necka_ mentioned.

If blue is the color of the bottom of your skybox, something else may be up. If you could tell me how your terrain is set up (size, amount of tiles etc) I can recreate a terrain and see if anything goes wrong.

The pigment map script is a tricky matter, I have about 10 terrain setups to test it on, but there may be scenario that I overlooked.

32. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Thicked the box nothing happens. I tryied to remove the skyboxMaterial and i got another darker blue instead whatever that means.
    Ok so i have one 2k terrain made with gaia, spawned textures 100 times with gaias texture spawner. I use Microsplat with 6 different textures who uses PBR. My grass texture is in slot 2.
    Hope that helps.

33. marcrem

marcrem

Using enviro instead of my sh*tty system actually "fixed" my issue ;) Thanks

34. Necka_

Necka_

I'm using Enviro and I do have this issue of tree flickering

Edit: it only flickers when the night and day cycle is active. If it's not simulated then it doesn't flicker.

Would there be any fix possible for that?

Also I don't know if it is related but:

In Vegetation studio if I set the vegetation (FAE) to instanced indirect and place a Point light, as soon as my Camera turn in the direction of the point light and there is vegetation around, the FPS drop to 1 to 5 like crazy. Lennart from VS told me it's a bug in Unity but I only have this issue with FAE prefabs :(

Actually the issue happens also when bloom is enabled in post processing v2

I tested only in 2018.1 where my project is now. It's pretty annoying as the FPS difference between instanced and instanced indirect is huge in my case.

@StaggartCreations : you can reproduce this issue in an easy way as you have vegetation studio. Create a project in Unity 2018. Add a terrain, add vegetation studio with some of your grass and tree prefabs setup as Instanced indirect render. Add some point lights around trees or grass and in play mode look at the point lights

I do not know if having Enviro Sky change this bug or not, but I think it's when Enviro is in the scene too

I don't have the issue with some other trees I have rendered as Instanced indirect

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  35. dustin_pau1

dustin_pau1

I am having the same issue as Partizan. The pigment map generator does not generate the correct pigment map. The output is a picture of the bottom of the skybox, or a flat color if there is no skybox. It seems to be ignoring the terrain. Is there a specific layer or tag that the terrain should have?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  36. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I have the fix lined up, but haven't gotten around to submitting to update to the store (there are 3 versions now, so this takes a while). But I have this on the agenda for today, so this should be available some time next week.

@Necka_ I started on the terrain materials, but haven't finished them yet, so these will be available in the next version update. Edit: Disregard that, managed to finish it :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Necka_ likes this.
  37. nifthea

nifthea

Hi! Wanting to buy your asset but am wondering how is the performance regarding the grass polygon count/ draw calls / overdraw? Also, I am guessing the grass changes color based on a pigment map of the terrain, so it is correct to assume that the grass would not change color when placed on meshes instead of terrain?

38. namdo

namdo

How do I add snow to the trees like in that GIF on the first page?

39. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The performance will come down to the usage, very dense grass will be more expensive to render. When you make use of GPU-instancing, it's possible to render a lot more grass. Vegetation Studio, for instance, utilizes this.

If you'd like any objects to be included in the pigment map, you can parent these under your terrain. The terrain is temporarily moved up 1000 when it is being rendered. So any child objects in this case, would be moved with it, and also rendered into the map.

The snow slider is only available in the spruce tree Substance material, which you can find in the 'Source/Substance/Trees' folder.

40. Necka_

Necka_

Hi @StaggartCreations, speaking of VS + Instanced (indirect), could you check my post just above that also explain the bug there is in Unity 2018.1 with FAE assets that slow everything down to a few FPS with Enviro + VS Instanced Indirect? it's really a game killer here

41. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I had a look at this and reproduced the same results in 2017.3 and 2018.1. You can see how in the profiler there's a huge spike on the CPU for updating the vegetation rendering. The fact that all the FAE have sub-meshes (trunk+branches) may be the differentiating factor.

The VS author explained to me that this in fact a Unity bug regarding point lights and instanced indirect rendering. According to him this was no longer an issue in Unity 2018.2, so if possible you could upgrade to that version. I've tested 2018.2 in which case the frame drops were gone.

42. Necka_

Necka_

Ok thanks... but no, I won't upgrade to 2018 before at least 2018.3. It's clearly not stable enough yet and it's a shame they call that a release version while it's clearly a beta. Not speaking about the poor Substance support yet...

I know that Lennart said it's a Unity bug, I believe it, but I only have the issue with FAE vegetation (so far), so I thought maybe there are some ideas here. Also it's not only point lights. It's even with Post Processing effects and other kind of luminance

43. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Downloaded the latest FAE update. My pigmentmap works great now. Thanks :)

StaggartCreations likes this.
  44. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm personally not the biggest fan of the current release construct either. Especially not with having multiple beta's at once, which makes little sense to me.

The shaders used on geometry should not affect post processing effect performance, since these simply work with the final image displayed on screen and process it, so the performance impact is constant. There is the exception with shaders that produces erroneous pixels, but things have to go very wrong for that to happen.

I'm personally using the FAE assets in two projects which use the Post Processing Stack, but haven't encountered any such performance drops from the combination, so that's pretty strange. Can you send me a repo-project I can look at? That would be tremendously helpfully, otherwise I can only speculate.

45. MostHated

MostHated

Hey there @StaggartCreations I am trying to use this with Vegetation Studio but keep getting "Shader error in 'FAE/Grass': failed to open source file: 'VS_InstancedIndirect.cginc'" for the grass and foliage on a fresh import of both assets. I tried to look at the documentation but the only thing I noticed was about the touch react system in reference to VS.

46. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Please check if the VS_InstancedIndirect file is present in your project. If you have moved any shader files, the VS_InstancedIndirect file should sit in the same folder as all the FAE shaders, otherwise it cannot be located.

47. MostHated

MostHated

Thanks, appreciate it. The other thing is my grass ends up like this below. Not sure why.

48. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

To be honest, me neither! I'm not sure how the thumbnail renderer works, but as long as the material looks correct in a scene, it should not be a problem :)

49. MostHated

MostHated

Unfortunately, it doesn't : (

50. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I see, it looks like the grass doesn't have an alpha, this could be due to the texture itself, or the material. If you're using Unity 2018.1, perhaps the Substance plugin had an accident. You could try to re-import the 'FAE_Grass' Substance material, which will force it to regenerate the textures.

Alternatively, it's worth checking the 'Mask Clip Value' on the grass materials, this should be at least higher than 0.