Search Unity

Fantasy Adventure Environment - A stylized asset pack (Built-in/URP)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Aug 1, 2017.

1. niasphinx

niasphinx

Hi!
    I'm interested in this asset, but I wanted to have a look at the benchmark demo first. I'm not sure if the file is corrupted/broken, but the .rar file that downloads won't extract. Any chance you can have a look and fix this?

2. wirelessdreamer

wirelessdreamer

Every time I try to bake lighting in this scene it hangs at 3/11 with 1 job left, and I see errors:
    Failed creating system: BIG_UUID
    Instance: Terrain

3. Exeneva

Exeneva

Just curious - what is coming next for this pack? More rocks? A rough roadmap would be nice to know :)

4. RkSanders

RkSanders

Hey just picked up the package, how do I paint grass meshes? The terrain data doesn't have any detail objects defined. I tried painting the grass texture and updating the height map. Also there's a bunch of missing scripts on gameobjects in the Demo1 scene. Not just under the NOT_INCLUDED gameobject that you say in the docs will have missing stuff, but the Plains>Grass, Rocks, Trees, Flowers gameObjects all have missing scripts also. I can't tell if the package is messed up or if need to update something else to get grass to show up.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Tested compatibility with Vegetation Studio, there were a few changes I needed to make to the vegetation models in order for things to work correctly. Which I will carry through in the next update. In these screenshots I'm using the Vegetation Studio grass shader on all the plants (disabled shadows on the grass), but the FAE shaders on the trees.

I've also been scouting for a artist to sculpt a new set of rocks, but I have to gather some more revenue before I'm able to afford the investment ;)

6. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Should work correctly, there are still being benchmarks run every day. I've just downloaded the archive and managed to extract it without any issues. Perhaps you could try to re-download it?

I would not recommend to use Enlighten in the demo scene, it is simply to complex. I tried to do it at some point, but after an entire night it still wasn't finished.

I painted all the prefabs using Easy Scatter (from the asset store), which is just a personal preference. That'a also why there is a missing script on every root object. This does no harm really, but will just throw several warnings in the demo scene. If you find it bothersome, you can run this scripts, which will remove all the missing components: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=FindMissingScripts

You can also paint the prefabs on the terrain regularly by adding them as tree objects, rather than detail meshes. Detail meshes are handled differently, and do not work with LODs and will be forced to use the internal terrain grass shader.

It is actually possible to save some of the plants from the texture atlas separately as billboards, so they can be used as "Grass textures" on the terrain. I'll be sure to append a section to the terrain and include these billboard in the package by default, some time soon!

I've added a list of features I will be adding/improving next ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  7. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Also, I was working on persistent grass/foliage bending a few weeks ago. Which I will eventually add to the package. Currently, it doesn't work entirely correct with height differences, so that's something I'll have to tackle first.

It would only work with one terrain (or mesh terrain) at a time, but I'm pretty satisfied with the results so far ;)

Don't mind the snow flattening, that would require a pretty complex and specific set up for it to work :p

8. Exeneva

Exeneva

I'm curious about the AVS integration as I am in the beta and have been using it to wholly replace Unity's horrid default grass/tree renderer that uses the CPU instead of GPU. However, I haven't tried using it with this pack's grass and trees as I'm mainly using the rocks - gotta keep bugging you about those ;)

Any chance we can get our hands on the example scene three posts above, with the AVS profiles provided?

9. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I've attached the setting asset. You will need Vegetation Studio installed of course.

You will need to set the "Awesome Technologies/Grass" shader on the FAE_GrassAtlas and FAE_Vegetation materials. You will notice the "Root darkening" value will be inverted on the grass and flower. I've adjusted the vegetation meshes accordingly, which I will carry through in the next update ;)

Attached Files:

Exeneva likes this.
  10. 5LS-Brent

5LS-Brent

Does the foliage shader run in Deferred or Forward?

11. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

All the shaders will work in both rendering paths.

12. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Changelog for the next update, hope to submit it today

Added:
    - Grass billboard texture, for use on the terrain

Changed:
    - Made vegetation meshes compatible with Vegetation Studio shaders
    - Checked PigmentmapGenerator compatibilty with MicroSplat, made adjustments accordingly
    - Improved usability of PigmentmapGenerator component

Fixed:
    - Corrected normal map behaviour in branch substances
    - Fixed Palm bark artifacts in substance material

Removed:
    - FAE_PigmentMap substance (obsolete)
    - Standard Assets third person controller

For some reason part of the Standard Assets kept being included, so I've removed it entirely from the demo scene, bummer.

I'll be adding new pine tree variants, because I'd like to focus on some art next.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  13. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

EDIT: Some parameters are missing in these screenshots, whoops!

Will be adding a shader GUI so material inspectors are less cluttered. Also has a help toggle button which displays a description of the parameters.

I also realized I should make a separate shader for the grass. Currently the flowers and grass both use the FAE/Foliage shader but flowers will never use the heightmap/pigmentmap features. It's a little weird to have green daisies :p

I will remove these features from the FAE/Foliage shader, which will ultimately mean less unnecessary shader operations.

Exeneva likes this.
  14. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Shader GUIs are finished, I will submit the update today.

I noticed there is some confusion about the pigment map functionality. So when there is none found, a message with instruction will be show in the material inspector and the parameters will be disabled. Same goes for the WindController.

Added:
    - Custom material inspectors for the Foliage, Grass and Tree Branch shaders. Features buttons to toggle parameter descriptions.

Changed:
    - Removed the height- and pigment map functionality from the Foliage shader. Made a seperate "Grass" shader instead, which does have these features.
    - WindController script, when added, now automatically tries to locate the FAE_WindVectors substance in the project
    - PigmentMapGenerator clears the pigment map texture from the Grass shader when it is disabled. This avoids inadvertently using a pigment map from another scene.

Fixed:
    - Grass animation not working when PigmentMap is deleted

15. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Adding a new "forest floor" Substance material for the terrain pretty soon.
    https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/GreenRigidIbex

It has several layers that can be customized:
    - Base layer
    - Pine needles
    - Moss
    - Roots
    - Rocks
    - Leafs

zyzyx and Exeneva like this.
  16. reocwolf

reocwolf

Does this include a shader that allows for fading when an object is obstructing the view of the character or target?

17. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm afraid such functionality is not in the shaders

18. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I've refactored all the terrain materials, they now all have proper controls for normals, roughness and height. Most was changed on the rock material, I've simplified the parameters and added more controls for color.

I realize the workflow for saving the Substances to texture, in order to use them on the terrain, is very cumbersome. To streamline this I've added a material inspector to them, which will allow you to automate the process:

You have to assign the FAE/Substance Baker shader to a Substance, and the option will appear. The format mode has to be set to RAW, otherwise the textures will turn out black. This should be set by default already

For every material, a sub folder will be created in the target folder:

That's where the textures are stored to be used on the terrain. The tool overwrites these, so the terrain will update automatically.

Added:
    - New forest floor Substance material for the terrain, featuring needles, moss, roots, rocks and leafs
    - Ability to bake the Substance textures for the terrain automatically, to allow for easy itteration

Changed:
    - Refactored TerrainRock material, secondary and tertiary layers have been removed, more color properties have been added
    - TerrainSnow material now has a sparkles effect when roughness is set to full

With this update the price will be increased by $5, to account for the added/improved features since the initial release.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  19. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Really looking forward to purchase; will this work in VR ?

R1PFake likes this.
  20. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Some users have reported there are no issues with VR, but since you essentially need over double the performance, it may be a little tricky.

21. R1PFake

R1PFake

I just wanted to ask the same question, im wondering how this looks in vr with the vive/rift on pc. The grass/trees in most assets are a problem in vr, because they just look weird/bad, i would really like to know if anyone can post some feedback about this pack in vr?

22. brandinhall

brandinhall

Trying to download this asset in Unity and I get an error "Could not read from encrypted package file." very frustrated, I was really looking forward to this asset. Is there anything that will fix this? I've tried on different computers, nothing is working.

Attached Files:

23. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

A new update was released yesterday, but apparently something went wrong in the submission process, and the package was corrupted. I didn't know this was at all possible, and I'm surprised the asset store staff didn't notice when they reviewed it.

I've resubmitted the package, which unfortunately can take a couple of days before it is approved. I'll be sure to notify you when it is, sorry for the inconvenience.

24. brandinhall

brandinhall

Thank you for your response! Looking forward to finally getting my hands on this beautiful asset.

StaggartCreations likes this.
  25. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The fix was approved, and you should be able to download it through the asset store now. Worked for me, whereas I didn't yesterday ;)

On another note, I've modified the PigmentMapGenerator script to also work with mesh terrains, for whoever needs it. This was a precursor to implementing foliage bending, since it uses part of the same system.

I've been fiddling around with it for a few days now, and it seems I'll only be able to implement "grass flattening", rather than bending. This has to do with the batching of the grass. As the grass meshes get combined, I cannot use individual bending directions anymore :(

Still the flattening will leave a trail, and darken the flat grass a little bit, which is already a huge improvement over the current system. You'll also be able to have multiple grass benders, rather than just one.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  26. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Have been working on and off on a new pine tree variant, modeled after a Scot Pine. It's not quite there yet, but hopefully soon will be ;)

I'm using Vegetation Studio (182 drawcalls :eek:) and Lighting Box in this scene

TeagansDad and SirTwistedStorm like this.
  27. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Adding some additional groundcover for the next update. It's been really lovely autumn weather lately, and I've frequented the nearby forest, so I'm feeling really inspired to work on forest items :)

- Clovers
    - Elephant ear (two variants)
    - Two branches, and a cluster

The UVs of the branches have been laid out in such a way that you can use any bark texture on them.

28. sebsmax

sebsmax

nice work :)

Small question, how do you generate the billboard?

29. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The billboards for the trees are already pre-generated and configured as the highest LOD level on the tree prefabs.

If you change the color properties of the branch texture, the corresponding billboard will change with it. So it won't be needed to generate a new billboard anyways ;)

30. sebsmax

sebsmax

thanks, it's more because i wanted to integrate my custom trees with your system

31. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Adding a new "beach sand" Substance terrain material. The billowing and the lumps are customizable, so you can make it as detailed as you like.

judah4 likes this.
  32. Racoon_7

Racoon_7

Hi,
    first of all, nice work – it's a great asset pack and I look forward to start using it.
    I have some questions/suggestions, if I may.

I use Unity 2017.2 | WebGL by the way. Are there some parts of the package which just won't work with WebGL (1.0 or 2.0)? I noticed an info-box about procedural materials, but is there something else?

Upon importing the asset, all sorts of bugs and warnings pop up. And again whenever you open the demo scene, including missing scripts.

I know you said e.g. missing scripts are harmless Easy Scatter scripts and I understand it would mean more work to strip external components every time you want to reupload the package, but I think it also sends the wrong message if you import the package and your console fills up.

The way I see it, on a clean import in a freshly started project, there probably shouldn't be any issues. Yet not counting line ending warnings, there are 9 warnings and 9 errors on import + one more when you check the Birch_A prefab.

In the documentation, it'd be helpful to add how to to set up a simple scene (or recreate the demo scene). Currently, the Getting Started section there basically consists of "Prefabs are in the Prefab folder, don't mind warnings, don't use detail objects" which is a bit less detailed than somebody who just opened the package for the first time will need.

In a completely new scene, what should be my first steps?
    Any terrain/skybox/light/camera restrictions/recommendations?
    What manager objects and components should most likely be in every scene (e.g. Cliff Coverage, Wind Controller, Pigment Generator…)?
    What assets would be good to recreate/duplicate (e.g. coverage/pigment map, materials)?
    Additional tips…?

In the end, I just added everything from the Features section and hoped for the best, but it'd be better if I knew whether I'm using the pack as its creator intended and not missing something / using something incorrectly.
    Yes, the demo scene is there and it's helpful, but seeing a completed scene won't always help you in creating your own, different scene; not to mention you have to constantly hop back and forth between them and the loading takes some time. Similarly, your YouTube videos are mostly less than a minute long "showcases", rather than "How to use the pack".

Now, this was a really aggravating "issue" I spent most of the day trying to track down (although 90% of it was my own fault).

Basically, after adding everything I thought is an essential FAE manager to the scene, I started adding grass and trees and everything had sort of "rainbow" colour.

You can probably tell what it was already, but just so you can see the thought process of a regular user:
    1. This is weird. Some material/shader error?
    2. Demo scene seems all right. Hey, I can even add new trees there and they look all right!
    3. Reimported the trees. No change
    4. Reimported the package. No change.
    5. I must have missed some important setting. Is there "Branch Coverage" or something?
    6. Strange. I seem to have every prefab the demo scene has.
    7. Checked the documentation. No mention of this "bug".
    8. What if the branch colour depends on the terrain texture? Like the grass? Maybe my custom texture won't work.
    9. Okay, I'm using the same exact textures as the demo scene and… no change.
    10. Created a brand new scene. Still rainbow trees.
    11. Read through the whole support forum. Nothing. Are "white trees and grass" similar enough to "rainbow trees and grass"?
    12. Tried with a brand new project – everything seems to be working. So some other asset pack is probably conflicting with this one.
    13. Made a copy of the whole project, started deleting everything vaguely shader-related.
    14. With only my old scene left, the error was still there.
    15. I grabbed all objects from the demo and pasted it in my scene. Suddenly, trees started working!
    16. Enabling/Disabling/Deleting all the objects to narrow it down to the cause.
    17. WindController! Yayy! :D

So it was that Visualize Vectors checkbox all along. :rolleyes:
    My fault; I must have set it early on and I started adding trees to the scene only after it was already there, so initially, I didn't notice anything. And the effect wasn't quite what I imagined the option would do.

The problem with this I think is that even though it looks like a local setting on single wind controller, it affects globally the whole project (new scenes, old scenes) until you open a scene with a Wind Controller | Visualize Vectors / "Off".

Maybe other people might stumble upon the same problem in the future, or maybe I'll be the only dull one, but since enabling this option triggers a major change in the whole asset pack, it might help to:
    …add a tooltip?
    …have a screenshot in the documentation?
    …reset the materials back to normal upon closing a scene and opening a different one?

I'm not sure if this isn't just an issue because my target platform is WebGL, but if it should work and I just forgot some settings/texture, I'd like to know what might be the cause.

Is there a way to make these visible?

And the cliff coverage (straight out of the demo scene):

Oh, and by the way, setting the target folder for texture baking doesn't seem to work (it just immediately reverts itself to the default path).

EDIT:

With WebGL 2.0 enabled, the cliff coverage seems to work just fine.

I hope I didn't sound more negatively than I intended. This is a beautiful asset pack, one of the best ones I've seen. The cliffs and trees are gorgeous even up close and blend smoothly in their surroundings, meaning you can use them even in larger quantities and it's (mostly) not noticeable. Some other creators often try too hard to make an eye-catching mesh which unfortunately stands out too much, so you can't really use it to paint, e.g. a whole forest.
    This pack is exactly what I envision when I think of a light-hearted fantasy adventure.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  33. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thank you for your extensive feedback, it is really helpful! I of course try to anticipate the needs or skill level of all users, this sometimes gets obscured by my own perspective. Which is why it helps to be made aware of some things I take as a given ;)

The "ProceduralMaterial" API is not supported in WebGL, you may get build errors on the scripts that utilize it. Although these script are editor-only scripts, so perhaps not. I'll have to check, and make any changes accordingly.

WebGL 1.0 also doesn't support a Shader Model higher than 3.0. The "Cliff coverage" and the "Substance baker" shaders use a higher shader model and thus turn out black. For the latter shader that is not much of an issue, since it's only used for previewing the Substance materials in the scene.

I noticed the TerrainData errors when I imported the package into another project recently. It's related to the CliffCoverage demo scene since I changed the workflow of the terrain materials, I completely forgot to check this scene. I've already fixed this for the following update. Some of the warnings can't be helped, but some of which I can fix.

There is a section in the documentation which outlines the steps to take in order to recreate the demo scene, I will append this to the "Getting started" section.

I never would have thought of the possibility of the "Visualize Vectors" checkbox remaining checked. As you have found out, this is a toggle that applies to all the shaders globally and can only be toggled in the Wind Controller inspector. I will make sure this toggle is automatically disabled when focus of the inspector window is lost. Good catch!

The issue with the target folder resetting is not something that occurred during development, as I had tested several different folder. But I will try to reproduce the issue and apply a fix when I do.

I've made a note of all your points, and I'll be able to look into them next week at earliest ;)

34. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Long time due, but I've finished two palm tree variants (on the right). I've also added dead/dry branches to the existing tree, which have separate color controls. They come with LODs, a billboard and a collider mesh (for those who need it)

I've also made several changes to the documentation, and clarified certain aspects.

Palm_B polycount per LOD: 910, 540, 288
    Palm_C polycount per LOD: 1214, 522, 366

I'll submit this update tomorrow:

Added
    - Palm_B and Palm_C tree assets (with LODs, billboards and colliders)
    - Dead branches to palm trees with separate color controls
    - Custom inspector for WindController script
    - Option to vizualize the wind vectors in the Foliage, Grass and Tree Branch shader GUI's

Fixed:
    - Several warnings
    - Substance baker target folder not saving correctly

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    camta005 and jmjd like this.
  35. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Started prototyping a new willow tree type. I'm quite satisfied with it so far, but I'll continue to polish it.

I'd like to add one tree first, and then create an additional variant, perhaps two.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    TeagansDad likes this.
  36. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I recently bought this asset, mainly for the pigment generator but I can't get it to work on my ground because it is a custom mesh fbx file and not a unity terrain.

I was looking though the pigment code and see it renders the ground from above, but I don't know anything about shaders and have no idea how the pigment maps are used.

To matters worse in my case, it looks like the render doesn't like the way my ground mesh isn't at 0,0,0 and its rotated 180 degrees around the Y.

Does the grass shader use the ground mesh uv's? and if so would it be possible to get a bake texture option instead of a above view render?

If the grass shader doesn't use the ground UV's, what would I need to do to make my own custom pigment map that will work with the shader?

37. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The pigment map is essentially a top-down snapshot of the terrain's color. The size and position of the terrain are passed to the grass shader in order to line up the pigment map with the terrain, in world-space. This also means the terrain can be at any position in the world, as long as you hit the "Generate" button again after moving it.

If your terrain has a Y-axis rotation it sounds like you'll need the option to rotate the pigment map texture 90/180/270 degrees with it. Probably also useful to add the option to flip it horizontally or vertically.

I believe you're suggesting to add the option to add a custom pigment map in the inspector? That would be possible, but I'll have to add the functionality.

I'll add this to my to-do list for the next update ;)

38. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Thanks for the reply.

I will have to play with this some more because it sounds like it should work, but I wasn't getting the expected results at all with my ground mesh. I was if I started a new project and made a quick unity terrain which is why I thought it was my meshes placement.

I will play with it some more tomorrow and see if I can work out exactly what part isn't working on my mesh.

39. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I still can't get the pigment render script to work, so I've made a screen shot to better explain the problem.

I cut up this image a little, but you can see on the left is my Scene view looking down on the ground object with a few trees and other ground objects.
    On the right is part of the Inspector showing the Pigment map output. It's not high res, but it shows that the pigment map seems to be mirrored and only quarter of it was rendered.

The bottom right part of the pigment map that is rendered is the top right part of the ground object, but mirrored.

Any thoughts on why this isn't working on my ground mesh?

PigmentMap.jpg

40. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Would you be willing to send me your terrain mesh and texture (just the splatmap will do)? I have a terrain to test with myself, but this would provide me with another use case.

I noticed your pivot point is in the center of the terrain, this will unfortunately not work. I realize this could be a pain point for some users, but the pivot point is required to be in the corner, just like a Unity terrain. I have tried to work around this, but had no success. I'm willing to give it another shot though ;)

I'm going to look into implementing the rotation and mirroring options today

EDIT: Seems to have rotation/mirroring working now as well as support for centered pivots, will continue to test these functions before including it in the next update

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  41. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

42. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I just worked out a way to get this working, but it seems the problem is with maya and unity using opposite coordinate system.
    It looks like unity uses Left Handed, while Maya uses Right Handed, i.e. in the top viewport unity's Z is positive up, while maya's is positive down.

I moved the pivot to the bottom left of my mesh (in the top viewport) and zeroed out the transforms before exporting from maya a fbx file.

When I loaded the fbx in unity and ran the Pigment map generator script, the generated bitmap was flipped in the X. In maya I flipped the object's verts in the X axis and exported again. It came in as expected with the mesh flipped, but when I generated the pigment map it was correct for the original un-flipped version.

Flipping the verts back in maya and export it to unity again gave me the correct mesh and the old pigment map that was generated from the flipped version worked great. As long as I don't hit the generate button again, it looks correct.

You mentioned above added a mirror option which I think would fix this for maya users.

43. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

About ready to submit a new update. The willow trees will not be included yet, as they still require some polishing. There will be two tree variations:

I'm also redoing my tool for generating the wind information for the trees, along with other improvement to Ambient Occlusion and light transmission. I'll show more of this at a later time.

Added:
    - Collider meshes for Palm_B and Palm_C
    - Pigment map generator now has options to flip or rotate the pigment map for mesh terrains
    - Support for a custom pigment map

Changed:
    - Tree trunk gradient is now inverted, making the top darker instead of the bottom (ambient occlusion for trunks to be added)
    - Made wind vectors less uniform (Wind response for trees will soon be improved)
    - Pigment map generator now works with mesh terrains with centered pivots
    - Minor UI improvements
    - Reduced splatmap size in demo scene

Fixed:
    - High trunk weight wind values elongating the trees

I've tested the new options with your mesh terrain, and it seems to offer the solution you need.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Gnimmel likes this.
  44. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Is there a easy way to edit the grass shader to remove the spec highlight?

I'm getting some strong highlights on the grass which breaks the look of the pigment map.

In the first image below the grass looks great at the bottom of the screen but as it gets further way it gets brighter.
    The second image shows the camera a lot lower to the ground which makes the grass too bright.

Moving the camera up seems to show the brightness is a highlight on the grass. Grass_Spec.jpg Grass_Spec02.jpg

45. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The PBR shading model inherents a slight fresnel effect (aka rim lighting). If the shader you're using for the terrain isn't PBR-based, you'll notice the fresnel on the grass. Other lighting properties from your terrain shader may also have this effect.

For example, this is the terrain from the demo scene, using the "Built-in Standard" material (found under terrain settings):

You'll see the grass bends perfectly

If I set the terrain to use the Legacy Diffuse material, it will no longer have a fresnel effect, but the grass will remain to have one and you'll notice a color difference when viewing from glazing angles:

A way around this, is to use a PBR material for the terrain, or modify the grass shader so that is uses a Lambert lighting model (as well).

You can modify the grass shader with two simple modifications: First, open up the FAE_Grass.shader file, go to line 41 and swap the word "Standard" with "Lambert". Secondly look for the keyword "
    SurfaceOutputStandard" and change this to "SurfaceOutput". Then save the file.

You'll get the following error for the grass shader GUI: Could not find MaterialProperty: '_AmbientOcclusion', Num properties: 19. I will make a modification to the grass shader so this error will not occur when changing the lighting model. I have already made several changes to the shader for next update ;)

Let me know if you have any further questions

46. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'll be improving the wind response for all trees. This is because I've reworked the way wind information is calculated and stored in the tree meshes: https://twitter.com/JonnyIO/status/942072876320067584

I'm now able to bake different settings per tree type. Namely wind influence variation per leaf/branch and height influence (lower branches moving less than higher branches).

I'm also adding Ambient Occlusion to the tree bark, which makes it stand out less in dense areas of the tree.

These changes are mainly so I have more control over a tree's appearance and will help in developing new tree types in the future ;)

I should note this tool will remain a proprietary development tool, and won't be included in the package.

camta005 likes this.
  47. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Thanks for the reply.

I tried both suggestions but found it looked much better when I used your shader instructions in reverse on the ground shader to make it shiny like the grass.

It all blends really nicely now.

48. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

A lot of improvements were made in the shading for version 1.1.1. I've changed a lot of things in my tree creating pipeline, so that I can exert more control over a tree's final appearance.

All the trees have had their pivot point raised by 0.3 units, so the bottom doesn't stick out when they're placed on steep surfaces

The light transmission is now more visible in shorter grass, a seen here:

Overall, the shading for the trees has been improved.

Ambient Occlusion
    Every tree trunk now has ambient occlusion baked into the mesh, which can be adjusted in the FAE/Tree Trunk shader. This can be used in conjunction with the already existing "gradient" parameter to get the best results:

This makes the tree trunk stand out less and provides the illusion of more natural lighting.

The tree trunk shader now also has a custom GUI, with a help toggle

Wind response
    Trees are now fine-tuned for the best looking wind animation for their respective tree type.

For example, the pine tree's lower branches now sway a little less than it's top branches. And every branch moves a little different, rather than in complete unison. I have an idea on how to improve this further, but that's for another time ;)

On the Wind Controller, the wind strength can now be changed at run-time. Which makes it possible to hook it into your weather system, if you have one. Unfortunately, wind speed, direction and amplitude cannot be changed, as you'll see extreme jittering during the value changes. I may experiment a bit to try and circumvent these limitations.

Light transmission
    Rather than using the ambient occlusion for this, the trees now have dedicated light transmission information. Depending on the tree, some may allow more light to be passed through than others.

This is also the newly added Willow tree
    LOD0: 2675 polygons
    LOD1: 1496
    LOD2: 660
    LOD3: Billboard

I also have a second Willow tree variant, but I still have to polish it and made the LODs

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    judah4, hardartcore, FuzzyCow and 2 others like this.
  49. xiaohei0929

xiaohei0929

Hi, I very like your jobs on this asset
    Fantasy Adventure Environment,

I know that you also has one on unreal, I have already buy it on unity and now I am ready to work on unreal.

Can I have one on unreal for free? Thank you

50. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The project I did in UE4 was originally for my minor in university, I don't intend to sell or give it away ;)

It was also two years ago, the UE4 project is no where near as complete and polished as the Unity package.