Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantasy Adventure Environment - A stylized asset pack (Built-in/URP)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Aug 1, 2017.

1. mick129

mick129

Thanks, I really appreciate and yes it work!

2. Nero905

Nero905

I'm sorry if this was asked before, but will this asset pack support the new HD Render Pipeline or Lightweight Render Pipeline in the future?

Noogy likes this.
  3. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

How do I get the grass setup for VSP?

I have the pigment map generator script on each terrain, set custom shader (even though it's not, but only way the image changes) but the grass is not setting it's color right when the player enters playmode. So everytime I enter playmode I have to regenerate the pigment map.

Below is my result:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  4. Noogy

Noogy

I'd love to know this as well, or better yet, the newer grass stuff @StaggartCreations has been teasing. Particularly some of the collision stuff.

5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

If you're using a tiled terrain setup, then the PigmentMapGenerator script should be added to an empty GameObject (something that isn't a terrain or mesh). Instead of adding it to every individual terrain.

After which, you'll notice a list for terrain objects is exposed, you should assign all your terrains here. With this setup, a single pigment map is generated from all terrain tiles. This is necessary, since there can only be one pigment map active at a time.

I would suggest to enable "Manual input", which will allow you to set the size of the render area (instead of automatically calculating it). If your player is never able to reach those distant mountains, including them in the pigment map would be a waste. A smaller render area will yield a higher texture resolution per meter, which tends to look much better.

6. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm fairly confident in the stability of the render pipelines now. These past 2 years, adding compatibility would be have caused a lot of issues and various shader versions, specific to SRP versions. I'm specifically going to target the Universal Render Pipeline, HDRP is not something I'm going to develop for, as it's an entirely different shader library, so cross compatibility is too much to support and maintain.

I have a new package coming out soon in the form of a Stylized Grass Shader. Which is very similar to the FAE grass shader, but has much better wind animations and features persistent grass bending through trails, meshes and particle effects. I'm also conceptualizing a tree shader, which I want WindZone support for, next to SpeedTree and Tree Creator trees. Currently still prototyping a new wind animation technique.

For the FAE package I'd be happy to look into supporting the Universal Render Pipeline. This would involve recreating all the shaders in Shader Graph. I have tried this earlier this year, but it was still missing some needed features and was plagued by critical bugs. I need to get the grass package out of the door first (some time in November), after which I can spend some time on this.

Noogy likes this.
  7. Noogy

Noogy

Awesome, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! I'm porting everything over to URP and am actually only using your shaders for some custom foliage, so the stylized shader is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

8. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Thank you very much.

I ended up finding this one out on my own looking through the docs and finding multi-terrain support. It was exactly the problem.

9. Ramulos

Ramulos

Hello,
    Im using vegetation studio pro and trying to get the pigment map to work. I have a multi tiled terrain and set up the generator on an empty parent object like suggested above and got an accurate looking pigment map. But no matter where i go in the terrain none of the grass blend properly. I hace use pigment map checked in the vsp tool. What am I mising? attached photo to showcase problem.

Attached Files:

10. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Judging by the screenshot, the setup seems correct. Does the color blending also not happen if you drag in a grass prefab into the scene? The grass shader also has a "Pigmentmap influence" parameter, which controls the strength (this is essentially what the checkbox in VSP does).

11. Ramulos

Ramulos

Yes, when a separate grass prefab is dragged into the scene it also does not happen. The 'pigment influence' parameter on the shader is max. Could the Y position of the terrain affect this? its the only thing about my setup id consider odd with y = -4000

12. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I see, in this case it's possible incorrect information is somehow passed to the grass shader. If you check the "manual input" checkbox on the PigmentMapGenerator script a blue box will become visible, this box should encompass all your terrain tiles. If it does not, then we can move forward from there.

The height of your terrain does not influence the pigment map, which only applies on the X and Z axis in the world (essentially 2D).

13. Ramulos

Ramulos

So i went back and checked, the blue box encompassed the terrain perfectly when creating the pigment map. As a temporary fix I went and retextured the grass terrain with less color variation to manually pick the colors and achieve a similar effect. I regenerated a pigment map for the blander terrain and noticed that when i click the use pigment map option it uses almost the same color I picked manually. Im guessing then that the problem might be in the resolution? The pigment map is set to 1024x1024, my terrain is 4096x4096. Could that be the issue? is there a way to increase resolution?

14. Ramulos

Ramulos

Another problem I'm facing. I have two lights set up, a spot light and a directional light. The spot light lights up my scene and the directional light is set to 0.01 intensity because without a directional light for some reason the spot light doesn't affect anything. I'm using forward rendering and Vegetation studio pro to spawn the trees and grass which weren't being lit. So after talking with the VSP developer I put "forwardadd" in the instancing_options for the shaders and now they light up. The problem is that though the trees are being lit by the spotlight it seems the Translucency is not being rendered. When I turn the directional lights intensity up the translucency shows fine but with the spotlight it doesn't. Any chance you could help?

15. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That could be. If your terrain is 4096 units wide, a 1024px pigment map would yield a resolution of 1 pixel over 4 meters. If your camera is mostly down on the ground, this is probably not enough accuracy.

I would suggest to check the "manual input" checkbox and adjust the volume's width and length to only encompass the area your camera/player is going to see or access. A smaller render area will yield a higher resolution (texel density). You can also open up the PigmentMapGenerator script and change the resolution value from 1024 to 2048.

It seems you are right, when vegetation is rendered using Instanced or Instanced Indirect, lights in Forward rendering do not affect it. Thanks for pointing it, I seem to have completely missed this. There is also a bug present where the tree branch shader will turn black if no Directional Light is present, or set to "Mixed". Both these things will be fixed in an update I'm submitting today.

The translucency rendering only works with the Directional Light. This also means that if it has a minute color intensity, or black light color, the effect won't be visible. Support for spot/point lights is unfortunately not something I can add to the shader.

16. Cyross

Cyross

Hello.
    I bought FAE 1.4.1. And I import FAE on Unity2.19.3.0b12(on Windows10 x64). But I cannot complete import by error message.

Unable to parse file Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/PostProcessingAssets/FAE_PostProcessingProfile_v1.asset: [Parser Failure at line 331: Expected closing '}']
    Why occurred it?

17. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

It is probably because you do not have the Post Processing Stack v1 installed. This should not be a problem, since the profile would just not do anything. I can reproduce the same error in b12, but you can safely delete the file. Something probably changed between b12 and the last beta version I tested on that causes this.

Cyross likes this.
  18. Cyross

Cyross

Thanks to suggest. I retry by importing PostProcessStack v1. It succeed to import.

I hope to support PostProcessStack v2.

19. FrozenEmpire

FrozenEmpire

Hi!

I just bought FAE, primarily for the grass shader with pigment map features and have got it up and running nicely with Vegetation Studio... looks great

Just one issue I noted in that it seems that the grass patches are forced to render in the forward mode whereas everything else in my scene is set to render in deferred. This causes me some difficulty with some screen effects that work on the deferred normal buffers and the grass patches are missing from those buffers..:

Other FAE shaders seem to render in deferred mode, just not the FAE_Grass. I think it may be to do with the use of a surface shader with custom lighting model that only supports forward rendering?

if you could confirm you get the same behaviour and if so is there any way to add deferred support for the grass shader?

(Still running on 2017.4 in case that’s relevant)

Many thanks!

20. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This is correct, the grass shader needs access to the shadow map, in order to mask the translucency effect. This would otherwise be visible even in shadowed areas. The flip side of this is that the shader renders in Forward rendering and does not contribute to the GBuffers in Deferred rendering.

If you have access to Amplify Shader Editor, the following steps can be taken to convert it to fully support Deferred rendering:

Set the Light Model to "Standard"
    upload_2019-11-29_13-43-41.png

In the "Subsurface" frame, bypass the Multiply node (you can remove it, and the Light Attentuation node if you wish)
    upload_2019-11-29_13-44-40.png

On the outputs, bypass the "Standard Surface Light" node by piping the FinalColor and Normals outputs directly into Albedo/Normals
    upload_2019-11-29_13-45-46.png

You can compile the shader at this point.

If you don't own ASE, please don't hesitate to let me know, as I can send you the modified shader.

FrozenEmpire likes this.
  21. FrozenEmpire

FrozenEmpire

Well actually I bought ASE at the same time this week, so this will be a good training exercise :)

Thanks for the hints, I'll give it a go !

22. FrozenEmpire

FrozenEmpire

I managed to mod the shader as you suggested in ASE. Deferred working fine now. Many thanks :)

StaggartCreations likes this.
  23. DigitalIPete2

DigitalIPete2

Have you any intention of supporting the new Universal Render Pipeline please ? Or is there a way I can adapt the download to it?

Thanks,

P.

24. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Yes, I have started on converting all the shaders with Shader Graph. I still have a few to go and need to create an installer, so existing materials can be upgraded.

25. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

Hi !

I got a problem with multi-terrain pigmentmap, i follow the guide but my grass stay white. The pigmentmap was correctly generated and you setup the shader but the grass stay white. When i setup the pigment only on terrain the grass get the correct color. The problem is really with multiple terrain.

26. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

It looks like the render isn't aligned corrected, you can try to tick the "Manual input" checkbox and ensure the blue box encapsulates all your terrains correctly (the height doesn't matter much, as long as the terrains fit in the box).

27. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

Hi !

Yes it's correctly encapsulates but this problem is still the same.

I try everything, change the origin, rotate, assign manualy etc ... Nothing work. Sometime he seem to color the grass at some area but not propretly due to the base terrain texture.

I have also an bug : put the pigment map on the parent, set the layer, assign child, check manual input, configure the box right, clic on generate => all my terrain gone and impossible to give them back, i had to reload a complete save of my project

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    FAE.PigmentMapGenerator.RenderToTexture () (at Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/PigmentMapGenerator.cs:385)
    FAE.PigmentMapGenerator.Generate () (at Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/PigmentMapGenerator.cs:308)
    FAE.PigmentMapGeneratorInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/Editor/PigmentMapGeneratorInspector.cs:145)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass55_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <6f28216fea9f453abf2e05b770ed3ee4>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  28. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Apologies, I seem to have missed your reply. I looked into the error, and it will be thrown if the first item in the terrain list is empty, or the terrain contains no textures. That should not be the case.

Judging by your screenshots, the pigment texture is rendered correctly, but it is misaligned in the shader. The render area should in any case be uniform in size, so the size X and Z values should be identical. It probably acts up because your terrain as a whole isn't square. I'd suggest to give that a try.

29. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

Problem is still the same, i add news terrain for make a square but grass still white

30. armaan8014

armaan8014

Hi, I'm having a similar issue with pigment maps as @Black_Raptor In my case, the pigment map just turns out black.
    Strange thing is that on a brand new scene this doesn't happen. Here it also throws up an error in the console. I've recorded a video that shows the complete issue. Thanks for the help!

31. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Strange, the pigment appears to render correctly, but if the grass is grey, it means it has no pigment map assigned to it. The only explanation I can think of is that the pigment map texture is being re-imported after being saved, which in any case causes a texture to be unlinked from a shader. You can check if there is any script using OnPostprocessTexture in your project. Alternatively, check if disabling the PigmentMapGenerator and re-enabling if makes the pigment map take effect.

I unfortunately can't make much out it thus far. If you can send a repo project that would allow me to thoroughly debug.

Thank you for video, this is very helpful. It appears the error is logged because the script tries to add a camera to a null object, even though it was created just before that, never seen this happen before.

There is a small script change you can make to the PigmentMapGenerator .cs at line 319.
    Replace
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //Create camera
    2.             if (!renderCam)
    3.             {
    4.                 renderCam = new GameObject().AddComponent<Camera>();
    5.             }
    with:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             //Create camera
    2.             if (!renderCam)
    3.             {
    4.                 GameObject go = new GameObject();
    5.                 renderCam = go.AddComponent<Camera>();
    6.             }
    This basically does the same thing, but with a little more assurance and will probably avoid the error.

32. armaan8014

armaan8014

Glad the video helped! :) Unfortunately this didn't fix the issue. It's still behaving exactly the same way, although it does seem to work fine on a new scene. The error does show on a new scene as well, so I'm guessing what's defined in the error isn't related to the map not working?

I'm also using an asset called Adventure Creator (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/adventure-creator-11896) Since you mentioned cameras, AC has its own Camera system. The presence or absence of this AC camera makes no difference (error shows up either way)

Also, hitting generate seems to create an empty game object called New Game Object. (as seen in the prev video)

Here's the error:

NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.GameObject.AddComponent (System.Type componentType) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/GameObject.bindings.cs:193)
    UnityEngine.GameObject.AddComponent[T] () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/GameObject.bindings.cs:198)
    FAE.PigmentMapGenerator.CameraSetup () (at Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/PigmentMapGenerator.cs:323)
    FAE.PigmentMapGenerator.Generate () (at Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/PigmentMapGenerator.cs:302)
    FAE.PigmentMapGenerator.Init () (at Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/PigmentMapGenerator.cs:165)
    FAE.PigmentMapGenerator.OnEnable () (at Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/PigmentMapGenerator.cs:122)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  33. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The "New Game Object" remains because the script fails to continue, usually it is renamed, hidden and deleted later on. A temporary standard Unity camera is created, so this should not interfere with any custom camera systems.

The error is quite puzzling, since it's contradicting itself. I'd suggest to gradually remove objects from your scene, then try to render the pigment map, untill you can track down which object's/script's presence causes a conflict.

34. armaan8014

armaan8014

Alright, will do and get back to you! Thanks for the prompt help :)

35. armaan8014

armaan8014

So resetting my lighting allows a pigment map to be created, but it still doesn't pick up the color of the ground into the grass (even after setting the pigment influence to 1) This can be seen in the video below showing the issue.

Resetting lighting works to this point here, but I expect it to be a problem in exterior scenes (we can get to that after this)

There is also a console warning but I doubt that's related to this?

EDIT: In the same scene as above, the pigment map works perfectly if I delete this particular terrain and create a new one - and not change its position/ size/ resolution at all. This means there's no conflict with any object in the scene, but has something to do with moving the terrain about.

EDIT 2: I've learned that setting any skybox makes the pigment map read that instead of the terrain. This is why resetting Lighting helps. Is this intentional? Due to this it was setting the map as white (my sky was light blue, became white with bloom) and black (in another interior scene I'd set it as black) Current solution is to remove skybox while generating the pigment map.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  36. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thank you for the additional details, I'm trying to reproduce the same issue. Though trying out the AC demo does not pose any conflict when rendering a pigment map. Strangely enough, the skybox should not be in influencing factor. Is your skybox using a custom shader, or a default Unity one? On which Unity version are you developing? Perhaps it's a version-specific issue. There is an update for the package coming out soon, what I'll do is remove the skybox before rendering the pigment map, then restore it, as a safeguard.

Moving the terrain should be ok, since the terrain's position/size is taken into account when the pigment map is being rendered.

37. armaan8014

armaan8014

Unity version is 2019.1.3f1. I used multiple skyboxes, including the FAE skybox, solid color etc.
    Turns out it's not just the skybox. Any color/ model under the terrain is being registered in the pigment map. If you see my last video, it is even visible in that - there are two box like objects on two sides of the terrain. These models are under the terrain. Even the FAE Sun Shaft can be seen I think (those white/ black hatched lines in the middle of those Pigment maps) I'm currently turning off all models etc when hitting generate. After that, I can turn everything on without any issues.

For me that has been the easier issue to deal with. Somehow moving the terrain guaranteed messes up the map. Like if I move the terrain after placing grass and generating the map, I can see the pigment remain in its position while new grass gets colored in that position (basically the map is not moving with the terrain) This is despite the blue box being correctly positioned and moving with the terrain. Changing the size has not caused any issues so far.

38. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

If the "Manual input" box is checked a "Layer mask" dropdown will appear. In this mode, a layer mask is used for rendering instead. If it is left to "Everything" all objects inside the render area are rendered into the pigment map. For this to work correctly, the terrain must be set to its own layer, and that layer must be set in the Layer mask field. There is a piece of text below it that mentions this.

Alternatively, you can disabled "Manual input" and just the terrain will be rendered into the pigment map. Manual input is intended to be when you want to render specific objects into the pigment map, or control which area of the terrain is rendered, as opposed to the whole terrain.

For manual input, when changing the render area size/position, the "Apply" button must be used to send the new information to the grass shader. The pigment map does not automatically update and move with the terrain ;)

39. armaan8014

armaan8014

That's really useful! Interestingly, I haven't been using manual input for most of these scenes, and it's still the same issue (everything apart from just the terrain is also mapped.) I just tried this again and yes, it broke the whole pigment map. Turning everything off and hitting generate again fixed it. Strange, but works for me as a workaround (to either turn everything off or turn on manual and use layer masks)
    I've also been hitting apply - but that didn't do anything.

Another interesting observation is that if I move the terrain on the positive axes, it works and updates to the new location. If I move the terrain on the negative axes, the pigment map doesn't follow the terrain to the new location (the blue box readjusts correctly, but not the colors)

So personally I'm able to work with all this as workarounds. Maybe it's just something unique to my project and something's messed up on my end! Let me know if you'd like my project files if you'd like to investigate further :) Also, thanks for making this lovely asset :D

40. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Ideally, workarounds shouldn't be necessary ;)

If you're willing to send me the project that would provide me excellent test-bed! There may be some contingencies that have to be taken into account, if I find any, I can include this with next version update.

41. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

Nop the pigment map is correctly generated and work, the grass copy the sand color, so the problem is she not linked correctly, the information returned is like another part of another terrain maybe i dont really know.
    But i don't really look for the color map, i look for the heightmap generation for grass fading btw texture ground chance

42. armaan8014

armaan8014

Sent you a DM with a link! :)

43. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Version 1.5.0 was submitted:

Minimum supported version is now Unity 2017.4.0

Added support for the Universal Render Pipeline in Unity 2019.3+. Shaders can be unpacked and FAE materials converted through the Help menu.

Notes:
    - Grass is not available for the URP, the Stylized Grass Shader package offers a fully fledged URP grass shader. Grass materials will automatically use the foliage shader instead.
    - LOD Crossfading is unavailable in the URP
    - Custom shader UI's aren't supported by Shader Graph, material inspectors will use default formatting

Added:
    - Revised water shader for the URP with improved intersection effect and shoreline waves.

Changed:
    - Improved color padding on vegetation texture atlas, no longer shows dark edges on some plants on lower mipmaps
    - (URP) Tree branches, light transmission is now masked by shadows
    - Greatly reduced file size of cliff textures with no discernible quality loss (90mb savings)
    - Shader controllers for Vegetation Studio Pro are now included in this package and support URP shaders

Acissathar likes this.
  44. blockimperium

blockimperium

I just picked up the asset and brought it into 2019.3.3f1. Created a new project with URP and brought in the asset and most materials converted, but some remained pink (though maybe that Speedwell is supposed to be pink) upload_2020-4-19_3-3-6.png upload_2020-4-19_3-4-41.png

45. blockimperium

blockimperium

I ignored the errors as suggested by the Help section, but including here just in case it sheds any light on the tree issue:

upload_2020-4-19_3-11-15.png

46. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This is correct, they're pink by design. If a shader fails to compile, the object would be entirely magenta without any shading whatsoever ;)

The error comes from the FAE_Water.shader file, this'll only be thrown when it's being imported and the URP is active. But you can safely delete it since the URP version uses a different water shader.

47. cr281164

cr281164

Hello, the water shader seems to be broken on URP version 7.21 and up (Not sure about 7.2). It displays in the editor but doesn't seem to render in the game. Everything else works although the wind trails seem a little odd in URP but I am not sure what they are meant to look like so I don't know if its normal or not.

48. cr281164

cr281164

I did some more testing because I am setting up an overlay camera and I am able to get the water working but only when I go back to the Scene view and then back into the Game view. It doesn't work when I first run the scene, only after I flip from to scene view and back and only if I have the overlay camera on. Not sure what to make of it but hopefully this is of some use. It's not a critical issue for me, more just some feedback in case anyone else is having the same issue.

49. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

In your URP pipeline asset, ensure that the "Depth texture" option is ticked. The water uses the depth texture to calculate transparency, without it, the water is infinity shallow and thus completely transparant. For the best visual quality, the "Opaque texture" option should also be enabled. I'll be sure to add a note to the documentation!

upload_2020-4-22_9-14-50.png

On the wind trails particle material, you can set the Color Mode 'Additive', and they'll turn white again. So far I haven't been able to change this property in the URP conversion process.

upload_2020-4-22_9-16-59.png

Neltor and Rujash like this.
  50. cr281164

cr281164

perfect. Thank you!