Search Unity

Fantasy Adventure Environment - A stylized asset pack (Built-in/URP)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Aug 1, 2017.

1. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Hi :) how can i get rid of this bright light that appears when looking towards the sun? There should be a configuration to lower that amount. Its most frustrating on my billboards. They get all lit up when looking at them from a certian direction. HEre is an example on looking up on a tree. Just a horrid glossy shine that should be tweakable.

FaeMaterialLightProblem.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The alpha channel value of the "Transmission Color" on the tree branch material will control the intensity of the effect. If you turn this down all the way to 0 it will hide the effect completely.

3. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

What transmition color do you mean?

FaeMaterialLightProblemSettings.png All my alphas are zerod out.

4. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Sorry, I did mean "Translucency". Though, if the alpha value is 0, then that can't be it. Would it possible to send me the tree mesh to try and reproduce it? Off the bat, I can't think of anything else that would cause that kind of behaviour.

5. SaltySkegg

SaltySkegg

Hello,

Having a problem with generating pigment maps properly. I have a multi-terrain setup and it seems to be fine but it's not detecting one of the terrains. Hoping this might be a common mistake and an easy fix? Any idea what could be the problem? Thanks.
    ActualViewfromAbove.png <-- What it actually looks like.
    GeneratedMap.png <--Generated map.

Nevermind me... figured it out. That terrain was on a separate layer. Put all the terrains on the default layer and worked as it should. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    StaggartCreations likes this.
  6. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Hello again :) . I wonder if you might know what the problem might be here. I have changed the tranclucency in one of my trees but only the LOD0 tree is getting the change and not the other LODs? They are sharing the same material so i cant figure out what the cause might be? Any ideas?

7. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You could try to place both LOD0 and LOD1 models in the scene, then assign the same materials to them. If they look different, despite sharing the same material then the cause lies with the mesh (different normals or vertex colors).

8. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

It is strange becouse my normals are exactly the same (in blender at least). But in unity when setting up the LODs it switches somehow the other LODs from the LOD0. In blender i have only just duplicated the first tree and trimmed it of some leafs. One tree is skinned mesh and the other is regular mesh but that should not be a problem.

LODlightProblem.png

9. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I see, that does look like it's setup identically. Are you using global illumination by any chance? According to the Unity docs only LOD0 items can receive GI, whereas further LODs use light probes instead. That may cause a discrepancy in their appearance.

10. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Yes i do. Hmm ok i will see how i will tackle this. Thanks for the info. Appriciate it.

11. Noogy

Noogy

Hi @StaggartCreations, I picked up your asset and there's some really cool stuff in there.

I'm creating custom grass meshes and playing around with your shader alongside Veg. Studio Pro for placement. I'm having a bit of an issue with their Touch React system.

It seems the grass is being affected by colliders as the grass colors are being darkened, but there's no vertice displacement. Is there a step I'm missing? I've tried both states of "Use Veg.Studio Touchblend" in the shader. Is touchblend different than touch react?

Also, I've been enjoying your grass shader samples on Twitter (trails and forces), will these featured in this or a separate asset? Thanks.

12. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Grass height is generally controlled through the heightmap parameters. For VS Touch Bend to take full effect the "Heightmap Influence" parameter on the grass material needs to be set to 1. Subsequently, the Min Height parameter controls how far down grass vertices can be pushed.

upload_2019-4-11_10-30-30.png

The grass shader project I currently have running is intended for a new separate package. It's based on the same concept at the FAE grass shader but rebuilt from the ground up for the LWRP ;)

rrahim likes this.
  13. modler2

modler2

Hi there, I love the asset so far! It is literally the gift that keeps on giving. Would it be possible in the coverage shader to allow tiling the cliff texture multiple times rather than just once?

To explain a little more, on the standard shader you can tile main texture multiple times.

I would really appreciate it!

14. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Sorry, I seem to have missed your message. This requires a small modification at the tradeoff of a few more shader operations. I'll DM you the modified file shortly.

15. modler2

modler2

Awesome, thanks so much!

16. hellobard

hellobard

Do you have plans for updating the Fantasy Adventure pack to LWRP in the near future?

TreyH and catherineomega like this.
  17. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Not in the near future at least, I still need to finish v2 of the package first, since this involves some shader changes and the removal of substance materials (otherwise there's 4 sets of materials to manage). Progress is pretty slow, due to other projects taking precedence, so this may still be some time away unfortunately. But seeing as the LWRP will be more adopted in the future I'm definitely not going to ignore it ;)

TreyH and catherineomega like this.
  18. hellobard

hellobard

Thanks for the reply!

Totally understand your priorities.
    I'll just rip the assets I need and give them some LWRP materials, and then I'll be hoping your new grass asset comes out soon ;)

19. chaseholton

chaseholton

In the description on the asset store, it says mobile and web not supported. Does that mean it literally doesn’t work on those platforms or that it’s not recommended? Because all I want is that grass on my terrain haha. And it’s a game designed for mobile, PC/Mac, consoles, running at a capped 60fps on all platforms. Would this just not work at all for mobile or do I just have to be conscious of performance? The asset looks perfect for what I need but that part of the description has me wary.

Thanks in advance, this is by far the best looking asset for the price I’ve seen on the store.

20. Rallix

Rallix

From my personal experience, I switched graphics to "WebGL 2.0" and now it works fine on the web. If I recall correctly, there was a problem with substance materials (which I managed to get working, but they're not recommended to be used anymore anyway) and cliff coverage (with snow, moss, etc.) but the majority of the asset pack works as expected. Perhaps you'll find a specific feature or two to be unavailable, but the general look and feel will be the same (at least it was a few months ago).
    I'm not sure about mobile, though; there will probably be additional graphics restrictions.

chaseholton likes this.
  21. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Appreciate you checking in first! From the start every asset and shader was developed with a mid-high range PC or console in mind (in 2007 that is). This also means I haven't tested anything on less powerful platforms such as mobile and web. I suspect the main bottleneck would be the shaders, since there are some specific shader optimizations and design choices that would otherwise need to be made for mobile.

Though, since almost every model has different levels of detail, you can opt to remove the LOD0 object from every prefab. Or set the "Maximum LOD Level" to 1 for mobile/web in your Quality Settings to the same effect.

As @Rallix pointed out (thanks for that!) WebGL does not support Substance materials. Though if you download the package in Unity 2018+, Substance materials aren't used by default so that'll be fine!

22. chaseholton

chaseholton

Oh that’s great news!! I think it should be a good addition for my game. It’s a top down adventure, so distance shouldn’t be a problem, nor “what’s on screen” to be crazy filled up. Your pigmentation of the grass combined with the terrain colors has me salivating. Not to be creepy. But there’s absolutely no way directly in Unity to make things look THAT good. So hats off to you and your hard work. I’ve beeb reading through the forum and your feedback and implantation turn around is so quick and accurate.

You have another purchase coming your way. This should be the last “bit” I need to really feel satisfied with the look of the game. Bravo. Thank you.

23. netpost

netpost

Hi,

I am just starting using this nice asset package. I have a little problem using the auto focus script on the camera. Filling the slot with the camera and target object doesn't seem to work. Using the latest Unity 2019.1.7f1,
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

24. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Could you clarify what you mean by auto focus script? It sounds like a depth of field controller, but this package doesn't have any such functionality ;)

25. netpost

netpost

Yes you are right. A little mistake here.... :)
    Great asset by the way!

Thanks for the quick reply.

26. Tethys

Tethys

Wow, just wanted to pipe in and say beautiful work. I've been through my share of environment assets for various projects but this one is now on the top on my list(when we will need it is hard to say). Well done, great work - looking forward to using it in something in the near future.

27. netpost

netpost

I wonder if there is a way to bypass LOD globally in unity without going thru all individual objects? I am using using the Fantasy Adventure Environment to create a 360 video and would like to get rid of the object shift/change in between the LOD transition when using a moving camera in the scene.

Thank you for your help.

28. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You can (temporarily) set the "Lod Bias" value in your Quality Settings to a value higher than 1 (or just set it to 99). This acts as a multiplier for Unity's LOD Group component and will adjust the LOD distances project-wide. It's a fast way to force all objects to always render LOD0.

From the manual:

29. netpost

netpost

This is exactly what I was looking for Thank you!

I have another small problem. When moving my camera underwater it seems to work in some position and not in others.In the attached underwater1, we see the bottom of the lake but if I move the camera a few frame up (closest to the water shader I have a white box appearing (underweater2 picture). Is there some adjustement to avoid this?

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

30. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Hello, so I was wanting to go about using my own model for the grass. But, I ran in to a bit of a problem. My model doesn't seem to be having the gradient applied to it. To make sure all things are the same, I unpacked a instance of the grass prefab, and replaced only the meshs with mine. But still get the same problem.
    Mine on the left, default on the right. Any ideas how to solve this?

31. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The grass shader uses the mesh's vertex colors to apply the gradient, and to determine which parts of the mesh should be unaffected by wind. For the grass, painting the top vertices is required. Only the red color channel is used, so you either paint the vertices red or white to the same effect. The color needs to represent a gradient in the end.

You can find this information in this documentation section (also for trees).

32. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Oh, got it, thanks. I looked at the shader section on the docs. But I didn't notice that it showed more sections on the right when I selected it. A dropdown arrow next to the name on the right, or something would be handy to have so I know there is more info there. But thanks again! :)

33. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Hello, I'm having an issue with Wind and your FAE Grass prefab and VegetationStudio Pro.

To be fair I also am using Enviro and have listenToWindzone checked as well.

The vertex color animates like wind is going through the trees and the grass but it's not actually swaying the grass, I don't think the trees either.

Is this a known issue or is something wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  34. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Vegetation Studio pro has a wind controller integrated for the FAE shaders, this also works with a WindZone object. So this may be conflicting with Enviro. I understand if you want Enviro to drive the wind strength, makes the most sense.

On the Vegetation System Pro component, under the Environment tab, you can assign a WindZone. If you assign Enviro's wind zone here, it should control the wind strength for all vegetation. In this case, you can remove the FAE WindController component from your scene, Vegetation Studio will then sent the wind settings to the shaders instead.

35. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

That's good to know, just removed FAE WindController though and the Component on Enviro and VS have the windcontroller setup but it's still not animating.

Edit: It seems it's just the grass. I even disabled Enviro temporarily and made a new Windzone.

Edit 2: The Terrain was set to static so I thought maybe that was it but to no avail.

Edit 3: When I drag out just the prefab, it animates. So it's VS Pro somehow... Hmm.. Lennart told me to ask here though.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  36. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

One possible explanation, if all other vegetation items receive wind, is that the "Wind influence" parameter is set to 0 for the grass item in the biome. This is found under the "Fantasy Adventure Environment Grass" section when you have the grass item selected.

37. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

This is my settings:

Edit: Oh! It happens when I have "Use pigment map" on the Grass Vegetation Item in the Edit biomes tab of VSP checked!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  38. xinoHITO1

xinoHITO1

Hello! I've been loving the FAE package but run into a weird issue.

I've been trying to integrate the grass and pigment map with my custom terrain shader. The strange thing is that when I generate the pigment map... the texture has a black line and the whole texture is offset to the left.

screenshot.png

pigment map.png

I made sure to tick the "Use third party terrain shader" option. Can you help me?

39. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Judging by the UI it seems you are using an older version of the package, I recommend to grab the latest version from the store. There was a issue where the pigment map rendering was affected by the aspect ratio of the Game view window, causing it to crop.

The latest version also allow you to manually set the area the pigment map must be rendered of, rather than the entire terrain. Which is useful if only a portion of the terrain is accessible.

40. xinoHITO1

xinoHITO1

You were right! I had to update to the latest version on the store and the issue went away.

I was having another problem where the pigment map would render all brown but I discovered that was because the terrain needed to be on the Default layer to work. Just a tip maybe it would be good to mention that in the documentarion cause i had to dig kinda deep to notice the root of the problem.

41. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

I wanted to try editing the grass shader. But when I open the graph in ASE, then save it. It stops working and I get a bunch of errors from it. Just on 2019.1.9f1 using the standard pipeline.

42. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Could you post the error log please?

43. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Okay, did a bit more testing and it only seems to happen if I take the copied grass shader out of the source folder.
    Here are the errors

44. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The grass shader has a dependency on the VS_InstancedIndirect.cginc file for Vegetation Studio support, which is located in the Shaders folder. If you move the shader outside of this folder it can no longer locate the file and will thrown an error.

If you're not using Vegetation Studio you can remove all the fields in the "Additional Directives" section in ASE in the panel on the left. The "TouchReactNode" will also be missing if Vegetation Studio isn't installed, not sure what happens in the graph if it is, but if it's disconnected that's okay, it just won't do anything.

All the errors about other missing cginc files are puzzling, these are built-in Unity libraries, installed with the editor. But these could very well be thrown because the VS_InstancedIndirect.cginc couldn't be found. They will most likely clear once you follow the steps I outlined.

45. Rmzn0

Rmzn0

I am having troubles about FPS.Especially grass lowers fps.I use terrain tree brush.Is it better if I put it as gameobject?'ve applied settings for performance in the guide

46. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This is a paragraph from the documentation for an upcoming grass shader, applies to the FAE vegetation as well. I think you'll find it useful. It outlines several methods for placing grass, and their (performance) (dis)advantages.

Rmzn0 likes this.
  47. mick129

mick129

Hello,

I'm using Vegetation Studio Pro and I would like to benefit as much as I can from the GPU Instancing. For the tree and the grass it work A1 but it seems it doesn't work for the cliffs.
    Enable GPU Instancing is selected in the cliff's material and same for VSP.

The problem is that cliffs appear everywhere in my screen (sign that id doesn't work).
    Any clues that could help me?
    Thanks!

EDIT: Also if it make a difference, Static Batching is also turned of on those cliffs.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  48. mick129

mick129

I'm also using cloud shadow and as someone mentioned on the last page there is a problem between FAE and this asset using cookie. Is there a fix for that that doesn't require to buy Amplify Shader? In my case the problem is the trees's foliage when I hit play.

upload_2019-10-10_13-49-19.png

49. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The cliff shaders simply do not support Instanced Indirect rendering. This is very easy to add, and will be available in an update coming soon.

The tree branch shader renders in Forward rendering, to allow access to the Directional Light, this is used for the translucency effect. Light cookies in Forward rendering have some limitations. An alternative is to switch to Deferred rendering. If you're unsure what this means, you can check the related manual page for more information.

A way around this is to open the FAE_TreeBranch.shader file and remove the following line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. o.Emission = SSS45.rgb;
    This will remove the translucency effect, but resolve any issues with light cookies.

50. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted version 1.4.0.

The package is still 50% until midnight on the 12th! https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/fantasy/fantasy-adventure-environment-70354

Changelog