Search Unity

Fantasy Adventure Environment - A stylized asset pack (Built-in/URP)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Aug 1, 2017.

1. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

What would be the procedure if i would wanted to thicken (make trunks fatter) the tree trunks? I find some of the tree trunks to be a little sticky hehe.

2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You could export a tree asset to FBX using this exporter, the official FBX exporter should also work, but I haven't tried it myself.

Then make any adjustments you like in a 3D application. As long as the vertex colors remain intact, you can export an FBX back into Unity and the shading an animations will still work.

3. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Perfect will try that. Thanks :)

4. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Just wanted to confirm i used the official FBX exporter and it worked great. Thanks again

5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Currently, the pigment map is rendered at the same size as your terrain's splatmap, so if it's outputting a 4k texture that means your splatmap is also at 4k. Depending on the size of your terrain, that may be overkill.

It's important to remember that all the terrain's data (heightmap/splatmap/detailmap) is stored in uncompressed bitmaps, so loading in an uncompressed 4k texture will take some time and use up more memory (about ~85mb). A splatmap can only store the weight for 4 textures. Meaning, if you have 5-8 textures, an additional splatmap is used. With 9-12 textures, a third is added, and so on. For every splatmap, the terrain shader has to do an additional pass, so things can get very expensive. I personally recommend to use MicroSplat or MegaSplat as your terrain shader, which goes about it in a much more efficient way and uses only 1 splatmap, even for 32 textures.

Generally, it's best practice to split up a large terrain into smaller tiles, so that they can be loaded and unloaded based on the player's position. This avoids loading too much data into memory at once, but rather only loading the parts that are needed. World Streamer is an example that handles such cases for large environments.

If your terrain is 4x4km, then a 4k splatmap would yield a precision of 1 pixel per unit/meter, which seems alright. I don't know the exact set up of your project or the level of detail you're going for. But ideally you should go for the minimum required. Unity terrains are insanely memory hungry, fortunately it's being revamped for Unity 2018.3, which was long overdue :p

Because normally you can't change the splatmap resolution without loosing all the data, I have a script handy which allows you to resize a selected splatmap. This should placed in any "Editor" folder. Here's how you use it:

- Select the terrain asset file and expand it.
    - Select the first "SplatAlpha 0" texture.
    - With the texture selected, go to Tools/Terrain/Resize Splatmap
    - Set a lower resolution, you can always decrease this further later. May be a good idea to back up your terrain data asset first.
    - Hit the resize button
    - Repeat these steps for any other splatmaps the terrain has.

You might see artifacts on the terrain now, like black spots or black squares in the distance. Most likely because the terrain doesn't like anyone going over its head like this. Simply take a texture and paint on the terrain, this will regenerate the base map texture.

Hope this is of any use to you!

Attached Files:

MostHated likes this.
  6. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Yes i realized i had some wrong settings in my unity terrain they were a bit high but i was exparamanting with a new terrain so no damaged done i brought them down now. Anyway i appriciate your great support thumbs up :)

MostHated likes this.
  7. MostHated

MostHated

I did a fresh import of FAE and Substance into a 2018.2 project to test with Veg Studio Pro but unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out why things are doing this. I didn't mess with any settings or change anything.

--- ** Edit : I was looking around things and I came across the first image below on the cliffs. Not sure why, I had not changed anything in the project either, and it says DX11 at the top of the window in the title bar.

Also if I go to help and select Substance or Regular I get the errors below, so I deleted FAE and reimported it but still get the same errors for both.

[FAE] Package for Substance materials could not be found!
    [FAE] Package for regular materials could not be found!

-------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  8. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

It looks like for some reason not all of the package contents were imported, I can't explain how or why though. I downloaded it into a fresh 2018.2 myself.

It may be a good idea to delete the cached package download in the C:\Users\Users\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Staggart Creations\3D ModelsEnvironmentsFantasy folder, to ensure you can re-download the package and import it.

The error message about DX9 seems to be a simple misuse of a boolean, I will correct this in next version, I completely missed this, thanks for the heads up!

9. MostHated

MostHated

Ok, thank you, I did that and it seems like things might be ok. I went to hit Substance this time in Help, but the message said all things will be set to default, but the loading window showed it was loading things from a Substance folder and things seem like they are ok for the most part.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  10. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Just a heads up, updating to version 2.0.2 of the Substance in Unity plugin will break all the Substance materials in the FAE package (again). I would not advise to use the substance materials in Unity 2018.1+, as this is likely to happen again, which means you'll loose your settings. Though, this is expected for a beta version.

I'll have to reconfigure all the materials to work with this new version and submit this as an update.

11. marcrem

marcrem

Hi, I'm having issues with LOD0 of the trees.

In play mode, it looks fine.

However, If I build it, if I get close enough to reach LOD0, here's what happens.

Note that I'm using vegetation studio for the grass but the trees are actual gameobjects in the world.

Also using Fog Volume 3 for uniform fog.

12. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The same thing was reported in this post, so it looks familiar, what happens is that the texture simply turns white after a certain distance. I've never been able to understand how this happens. But the last person to report this mentioned the issue magically disappeared after reloading the scene, so that's worth a shot.

If that doesn't work, does turning off the fog make a difference?

13. marcrem

marcrem

So I just tried, turns out both turning off the fog and rebooting unity and redoing a build doesn't fix it.The weirdest thing is that it's only doing it in the build, not in unity.

14. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I unfortunately have no idea what causes this. The issue seems to lie with the tree bush texture. As a test, you could try to assign a different texture to the bush material (even if it doesn't look right). If that prevents it from turning white we'll be a little wiser.

Alternative you could try to disable compression or mipmaps for the tree bush texture. It comes down to a process of elimination. I have not managed to reproduce the issue, so I unfortunately cannot do any debugging.

15. marcrem

marcrem

I will try all of this and come back to you if I find the problem!

If that can help, running my build in "fastest" doesn't replicate the trees turning white problem (well trees looks like they're only doing 2 LODS anyway.. )

Attached are my 2 different settings

Attached Files:

16. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

There is one other thing you can try, which may just be the solution. If you open the FAE_TreeBranch shader file and remove the line that says "LOD 200" then save the changes.

17. corjn

corjn

Hey, i'm making game where I woukd like to use book of the dead trees, but with your shaders :) I made some tests and as I first guessed, the wind is not working. Would you have any advice on how I can bake vertex color easely on these trees ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jonathan

18. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I think the book of the dead trees have bend info in the alpha color. Maybe easier to change the shader to read that?

19. corjn

corjn

Hey Lennart, thanks i'm gonna try that !

20. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Any ETA on 1.2.4? :)

21. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I can find the time next week, so I'll submit the update then :cool:

HalDevOne likes this.
  22. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Hello there :) I wonder is there a simple way to change the texture colors. I was trying with photoshop on the Treebranch texture but when i exported it back i get some white outlines on the texture. And on the preview window your texture is all green filled while mine background is alpha cut.

23. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Have a look at this photoshop script that helps you to set up "alpha bleeding/padding"

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-alphamaps.html

Lennart

DrOcto likes this.
  24. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Lennart rocks as always. Thx ;)

DrOcto likes this.
  25. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Sorry for asking about this again but i have followed through this https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-alphamaps.html very well.
    And i get to the last step "Copy the transparacy into the alpha layer". And its like the instructions end there. I have managed through some other tuts to create the transparacy on the alpha layer but it is not woriking in unity. I get the "dilated" effect done in photoshop but i cant get the alpha to kick in unity.

26. Necka_

Necka_

Hi there,

Exact bug repro steps are at the bottom of this post

I also got the issue in 2018.2 that FAE trees are White in Build mode (not in Play Mode in editor)

upload_2018-8-20_0-30-27.png

The green trees are from another asset package working with a different shader.

Did you find out how to fix this? It's pretty annoying :(

Edit: removing the line "LOD 200" didn't change anything by the way

More edit: As you can also see there are no special effects or fog or else in this scene, it's just a plane with the prefabs spawned on it.

And it isn't a LOD issue anyway as the most left tree is out of the LOD group (just the LOD0 version basically)

And more troubleshooting: I narrowed the problem down to the render mode (My project is in Deffered) I switched the camera to Forward rendering and that changed the problem:

upload_2018-8-20_0-57-51.png

Now the colors are back, but the trunk on the Willow tree is white... don't ask.

So maybe that helps

Bug reproduction steps:

So, I've had some fun narrowing it down to trigger the issue perfectly:

-Open a new project (Unity 2018.2.3f1)
    -Import only FAE
    -Set the graphic settings to Deffered rendering
    -Disable Baked lighting and Enable Realtime GI
    -Build the active scene
    -Enjoy White trees in your build

So the issue is lighting and renderer related.

I hope you can now create a fix for that, I absolutely can't have my project in Forward rendering mode, and I'm only using realtime GI

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  27. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

If you save out the texture as a TGA file, it should retain the alpha channel. I believe this only the case for Photoshop, as I can save out PNG files with an alpha channel using Substance Designer just fine.

Thanks for the repo steps! I have the same results in 2018.2.2f.

2018.2 introduces shader keyword stripping, so it seems by default lightmap/GI keywords are automatically stripped from all shaders for a build.

If you set the "Lightmap Modes" in the Shader Stripping section in your Graphics settings, you can choose "Custom" and enable the realtime modes. After I enabled these modes, the trees looked correct in a build.

The first time you make a build after changing these settings it's going to take a while, as all shaders in your project are going to be stripped and cached.

HalDevOne likes this.
  28. Necka_

Necka_

Thanks for the tips here. Might want to include that in your documentation ;)

Question: you said it'll cache all shaders from my project. I hope you meant the actually used shaders in my scenes? I don't think Unity can make a difference as it's the graphic settings and not the scenes settings.

Caching all shaders with all their variants (like all mobile shaders even though I use only desktop ones) would be catastrophic from my point of view as many asset creators include a lot lot of variants

29. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

When I say cached, I meant the built assets are saved in the Temp folder, so subsequent builds are faster. If a shader keyword is changed, such as enabling lightmaps or changing color space, the shader keyword stripping tool will run again. Shaders that aren't references anywhere would still not be included in a build, so nothing has changed in that respect ;)

Necka_ likes this.
  30. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Just submitted version 1.2.6, which addresses some minor issues. Also had another testing round in various Unity versions, and everything seems to check out :) A few months from now I will remove the Unity 5.6 version of the package, seeing as only ~10% of all Unity users still use this version. It also cuts development and maintenance down for me by a third.

The Substance materials still work with version 2.0.2 of the plugin, though they are making changes in the future which will break materials again.

HalDevOne likes this.
  31. marcrem

marcrem

Just taking some time to thank you for this. I'm using the shaders with custom assets and it's amazing.

StaggartCreations likes this.
  32. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Package is on sale with 25% off through September 11th!

33. marcrem

marcrem

Hi,

all of my grass + vegetation from this pack are showing some unwanted transparency.

How would I fix that?
    Thanks!

34. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Are you using the Post Processing Stack v1 by any chance? It's Ambient Occlusion effect does not work with transparant or cutout materials. This is no longer an issue with v2 (the one from Unity's GitHub or the Package Manager).

35. marcrem

marcrem

I am sir! Thanks :D Will get v2 right now.

36. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Preview of the GUI integration for assets that use the FAE with the upcoming Vegetation Studio Pro (currently in beta).

This adds the benefit of not having to refresh the vegetation system when material changes are made, so they can be preview in realtime.

37. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

38. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm not familiar with it, but if it uses a Windzone (like Enviro does, for instance). You can check the "listen to windzone" option on the FAE wind controller. This will use the windzone's main wind value to scale the wind strength on the FAE wind controller.

If not, I'll have to check and see how Azure handles wind ;)

MaximilianPs likes this.
  39. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

Got it, thanks :)

40. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Just wondering. Is yours grass shader more expensive in preformance than the vegetation studio?

41. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

If you mean the vegetation studio grass shader, I couldn't tell you, I've never needed to run the numbers. The best way is to set a camera to a fixed point of view and see what the profiler brings up when trying either shader. I suspect the difference would be negligible though.

kameha808 and HalDevOne like this.
  42. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Working on a new update! Primarily intended as a housekeeping update, but also adds some new content and improvements. This update will deprecate support for Unity 5.6.

Adding in a ivy kit, all 4 prefabs have a billboard LOD.

The PigmentMapGenerator now performs texture operations on the GPU, it is way faster to render out a pigment map as a result.

Version 2.0
    I'm planning on doing a revision on some of the content, primarily a new demo scene. I'll have to see how far I get can just using vanilla Unity, otherwise it may only require Vegetation Studio to run. This is the current work in progress:

With this version I intended to remove any Substance materials and replace them with static textures. I find these have become overcomplex due to the state of the plugin in 2018, it is unfortunately not something I can keep up with. I will look into offering all Substance Designer source files elsewhere on something like Itch.io or GumRoad.

With the addition of a fresh demo scene I'll have the opportunity to think about new assets, such as additional tree types. But this is really just a creative process, so I'll have to see which way things go :)

kameha808 and roykoma like this.
  43. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Revised the upcoming ivy kit, rather than using individual leafs, it is put together using several branch texture variants. They now have visible branches and stems and are around 40-170 polygons (as opposed to hundreds).

Will make some changes to the foliage shader so that is supports global wind motion (pendulum effect), as well as leaf-flutter. This should result in more convincing wind animations :)

kameha808 and TeagansDad like this.
  44. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Updated tree wind motion for version 2.0 with the addition of bending. Looks a little more convincing!

kameha808 and Necka_ like this.
  45. TCROC

TCROC

@StaggartCreations Hey just downloaded your asset from the asset store. I like it so far, but I found a bug in your CliffAppearanceInspector.cs script. On line 117 you have:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (ca.isCoverageSupported)
    2. {
    3.     EditorGUILayout.HelpBox("This feature is not supported on DirectX 9, which is your current target Graphics API \n", MessageType.Error);
    4.     ca.useCoverageShader = false;
    5. }
    When it should be:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (!ca.isCoverageSupported)
    2. {
    3.      EditorGUILayout.HelpBox("This feature is not supported on DirectX 9, which is your current target Graphics API \n", MessageType.Error);
    4.      ca.useCoverageShader = false;
    5. }
    Not a big bug, but it through me for a loop. I was trying to figure out how I could possibly be using DX9 graphics in a 2018 version of Unity. I then looked at your code and found that.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  46. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thanks for the headsup, this has already been corrected in v1.3.0, which will be available soon :)

47. TCROC

TCROC

Awesome! I can't wait! So far I am very pleased with this asset! I'll be giving it a five start rating! :)

StaggartCreations likes this.
  48. mick129

mick129

Hi,
    I have the same problem in my current project, was it solve and if yes, what if the fix?

Also, I dont have substance installed, it seem highly unstable according to the comments. Is it safe if I only use it for your asset? I'm on Unity 2018.2.6.
    Thanks you!

Found the solution for the grass just need to change the options in the FAE_GrassAtlas

upload_2018-11-1_17-35-48.png

Now for the second questions :)
    Also, I have tried microspat and it seam to break the pigmentmap generation. Anything we can do or I must forget about it?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  49. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This is true, the whole situation revolving around the Substance plugin is rather unfortunate. I cannot recommend to use it for production, since there is a fat change materials may break in the future. Currently, when using v2.1 of the "Substance in Unity" plugin, materials from the FAE package will break. I'm in the process of redoing all the materials for v1.3.0. Though, in version 2.0, Substance materials are going to be removed entirely.

The PigmentMapGenerator will have no issues with Mega/MicroSplat, though the "Using third party terrain shader" checkbox must be ticked, otherwise the render may turn out black or blurry.

mick129 likes this.
  50. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted v1.3.0! Changelog: