Search Unity

Fantasy Adventure Environment - A stylized asset pack (Built-in/URP)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

So maybe this is the reason why Unity Crash when I try to baking the Navigation Map with your trees and grass?

2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Instanced Indirect is only beneficial when using a GPU Instancing system such as Vegetation Studio, it handles culling on the GPU, which is generally faster ;)

I haven't been able to reproduce any issues with a NavMesh in separate three projects that use the assets. Could you produce more information about your set up? Grass should in any case not be included in the NavMesh, for this reason the "Navigation Static" flag is disabled on all vegetation prefabs by default.

3. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

Indeed, I've made another test and it didn't crash.
    I need to investigate more before, 'cause I'm using a 6x6 terrain with 2048 size. So it's pretty huge configuration and also I'm using TerrainComposer to manage terrains and place trees.

So with a single terrain, with "human size" no issue at all.

but during the baking still spam the error about Zero UV

4. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That's indeed a big navmesh to bake :eek:

I've been working today on implementing the FBX exporter into my pipeline. Because in another project I can't read the tree meshes, since they're not considered models, so there's no way to enable the Read/Write flag on them.

The exporter is proving pretty complex to reverse engineer, but once I have it worked out, I'll back-port it into my FAE tree tools and convert all the trees to FBX files.

5. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

About "Not mesh"... TerrainComposer have some issue with grass meshes too, it's work also with textures, so , can you include also grass texture in the package? :rolleyes:

6. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Another small terrain :)

Terrain done in World Creator 2 standalone, CTS, Vegetation Studio, Enviro, grass/plants shader from NatureManufacture Advanced Foliage Pack so it works perfectly for instanced indirect :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  7. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

There is a single grass billboard texture in the FAE/Terrain/Textures/ folder for this purpose. You can also export this from the "FAE_GrassBillboard" Substance material.

Although when using grass billboards on the terrain, you can't use the FAE grass shader on them, as they will default to the Unity terrain grass shader.

MaximilianPs likes this.
  8. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

For some reason all tree Bushes become white when LOD_0, while LOD_1 and 2 still green, any Idea?

Also, will you fix the warnings?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  9. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

It's not clear what's happening here, or what could cause it. Could you check the material on the LOD0 object? You can check if the "Tree" trees have the same issue. I could not reproduce anything of the sorts in a 2017.3 project.

About the warnings, as noted in the documentation, they only occur in 2017.3x, but there is nothing I can do about it unfortunately. This will not inhibit any of the functionality though.

In 2018.1 the Substance integration is replaced by a plugin, how exactly this will pan out, I have yet to see once it released!

10. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

When i drop in scene the prefabs, they looks fine, until i get far, when I get back they are white (this in Scene view, not in game which are white from the start)

Trees are fine, it's just all "Vegetation"
    http://i63.tinypic.com/4kg07k.png

11. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I have little clue as to what could use such a thing, never heard or seen it before. Google only mentions a handful of such cases

it may be something related to mipmaps, since it's making the texture white and mipmaps are related to distance. But that doesn't make sense, since the same texture is used on other objects, which are fine?

Could you send me zip of your ProjectSettings folder? That way I can put those into my test project, otherwise I can only speculate ;)

12. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

The project forlder, at the moment is about It's 8GBs.
    by the way, the strangest things is that they are white when I get closer, and it's also pretty randomly.
    Indeed now I've reloaded the scene and the problem disappear o_O

13. Zante

Zante

Hi Staggart,

Great work! Have you made any progress with the functionality shown in the image below?

MaximilianPs likes this.
  14. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I wanted to add vertex painting support, but it doesn't work with LODs. So you'd end up painting a rock, and from a certain distance the grass would disappear. In UE4 the vertex colors are somehow propagated to the objects's LODs as well, so I didn't have this issue there and then.

You can still paint coverage such as grass, sand or snow onto rocks. But it works a little differently, you can find more details in the documentation section here: http://staggart.xyz/unity/fantasy-adventure-environment/fae-documentation/#cliff-appearance

15. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I've been tinkering with Unity SpeedTrees and managed to add support for their exported models.

This opens up the ability to create custom trees and use them with the FAE tree shader and make use of its wind and lighting features. You just have to tick the "Sample SpeedTree wind" checkbox on the branch and trunk materials.

Example shown: the Broadleaf Desktop sample tree.

To facilitate this, I had to make a change to the way vertex colors are stored and read. The Blue (Stiffness) channel and Alpha (Thickness) channels have been swapped, in order to be more in line with third-party Ambient Occlusion bakers.

In order to not shoot anyone with already made trees in the foot, there is a "Legacy vertex color layout" toggle added to the material. When checked, the shader will swap the Blue and Alpha channel usage ;)

Added:
    - Vegetation shaders now support Instanced Indirect rendering
    - Tree Branch shader now has a toggle to read SpeedTree wind for trees made using the Unity SpeedTree modeler

Changed:
    - Usage of vertex color channels Blue and Alpha have been swapped, to be more in line with third-party baking tools.
    A "Use Legacy Vertex Colors" toggle has been added to the Branch and Trunk shaders to swap them back.
    - Optimized lightmap scale for all asset prefabs

Fixed:
    - Warnings regarding Birch trees when using realtime GI

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    MaximilianPs likes this.
  16. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Will be adding another one of these tree variants (as shown) next update. Going to try to make more pine tree variants, but so far I haven't had any success :p

RaoulWB likes this.
  17. RaoulWB

RaoulWB

Hi, since I updated it to 1.2.1 I've come across a couple of errors:

Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/Editor/GrassShaderGUI.cs(330,13): error CS0103: The name `_VS_TOUCHBEND' does not exist in the current context

Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/Editor/GrassShaderGUI.cs(331,13): error CS0103: The name `_BendingTint' does not exist in the current context

I was just about to post this when I noticed that removing #if and #endif to these lines solved it:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if TOUCH_REACT
    2.         MaterialProperty _VS_TOUCHBEND;
    3.         MaterialProperty _BendingTint;
    4. #endif

I've also noticed that, instead of doing that, replacing

Code (CSharp):
    1. _VS_TOUCHBEND = FindProperty("_VS_TOUCHBEND", props);
    2. _BendingTint = FindProperty("_BendingTint", props);
    with

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if TOUCH_REACT
    2.         _VS_TOUCHBEND = FindProperty("_VS_TOUCHBEND", props);
    3.         _BendingTint = FindProperty("_BendingTint", props);
    4. #endif
    seems to work as well.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  18. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That's not good! Thanks for pointing it out!

I'll correct this ASAP

19. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

with Unity 2018.1.0b13

20. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This is correct, the package isn't (cannot) be compatible with 2018.1 yet.

MaximilianPs likes this.
  21. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

I've unistalled 2018 'cause too many assets are incompatible at the moment :rolleyes:

any chance to have to updated water too? :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  22. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

In my experience beta version are often not supported by publishers, since it's difficult to keep up with the constant changes. Usually some things just won't work until the final release, Substance being one of those. Things like automatic shader upgrading also aren't added until the definite version ;)

I'm updating my Stylized Water Shader package to version 2.0, which be compatible with 2018.1 alongside of a boatload of new features. But this may still be a month away, since there's still so much I need to add, polish and test :oops:

MaximilianPs likes this.
  23. TronTron

TronTron

This is really a fantastic environment package. And the demo scene just has the same visual effects as the screenshots have. But the problem is that when I upgraded the package version from 1.1.2 to the latest 1.2.1, the FPS fell from an average of 100 to 40. I'm pretty sure that I have set exactly the same lighting and quality settings for them, and I didn't add anything else to the demo scene. You can see that the number of batches increased a lot. What could be the most-likely cause for this?
    Thank you.

Unity version: 2017.3
    GTX 970
    112.png 121.png

24. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Happy to hear you like it!

Also, apologies! It seems like I forgot to bake Occlusion Culling! You can still do this by going to Window->Occlusion Culling and the press 'Bake', this should only take about 10 minutes.

I'm submitting an annex update in a few hours which will include the occlusion data for the demo scene again :)

25. TronTron

TronTron

Thank you for the prompt reply.
    Just read the interview of you on 80 Level. Learnt a lot from your tech roadmap :)

StaggartCreations likes this.
  26. _dandroid

_dandroid

Any idea when we might see an update for 2018.1 now that the beta Substance plugin is available?

27. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm looking into it today, it's likely I will have to create a separate version of the package for 2018.x versions.

Currently, when importing the package in 2018.1, and installing the plugin, all the texture references are lost in the materials. So I'll have to set them up again. And there is a script error on the SubstanceBaker script, I need to figure out how the new API works (if there even is one now haha).

There is a chance these texture references would still be lost without the plugin. Meaning everyone would need to redo all of this work for themselves, which is hardly acceptable. If that is the case, I will remove all Substances from the package, and convert everything to regular textures instead.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  28. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

So here are my findings regarding 2018.1:

- I import the package into my project, materials have no textures
    - Install Substance plugin, textures are generated
    - Assign all textures back to the materials
    - Export FAE package (simulating an upload to the asset store)

- Import exported package into new 2018.1 project
    - Materials have no textures again
    - Install Substance plugin, textures are generated
    - Have to re-assign all textures to the materials.

Sadly, doesn't seem like it's possible to keep the texture references, because essentially they don't exist at some point...

Fix
    So I've just converted all Substance materials to regular textures for a 2018+ version.

I'll add an installation window which will allow you to install a separate package, containing all the Substance materials, and the materials with the related references. This option will only be available after the Substance plugin has been installed.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  29. Necka_

Necka_

Hello, I have a question regarding on how trees react to wind.
    I placed some trees with the terrain painter (also placed some as prefabs to see where my issue is)

First time, the trees aren't moving at all, right, I add the prefab with the wind controller and wind zone and life start to pop out. Great!

But my environment has dynamic weather, so if I have a clear sky weather I'm fine with the default setting, but if I turn in a storm, my wind zone rise from ~0.1 to 1 but that has no effect whatsoever on the trees.

So my issue is that the Wind zone is apparently not doing anything at all. Of course if I change manually the strenght in the wind controller it's going harder but it's still not what wind would only affect, and that's why the Wind Zone is supposed to be a great tool

Because without WindZone I would try to affect the speed value in the wind controller but that's not for runtime as it make the trees stutter until the setting is fixed

Am I doing something wrong here? because in the wind controller prefab there is a wind zone, but I can't figure out how to make it work. Maybe I missed something of course (I hope so)

30. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I had attached the WindZone component to the prefab so that the same object could be used with shaders that do support WindZone, like tree creator trees and SpeedTree. I now see this may be confusing, so I'll remove this from the prefab moving forward, thanks for the feedback!

Currently, only the "wind strength" value can be changed at runtime. Speed and Amplitude will induce jittering during the value changes, this is unfortunately a limitation of the wind technique I devised. Unity's Fontaineblaue demo uses an identical method, which also has the same paint point.

I definitely have it on my wishlist to come up with a solution for this, so that assets like Enviro can be hooked up. I recently got the FAE shaders to work with SpeedTree and Tree creator trees. So it's likely I can reverse-engineer the wind animations the tree creator shaders use. This all warrants some more experimentation on my side :)

31. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Uploading version 1.2.2 at the moment, which will add compatibility up to Unity 2018.2.

For Unity 2018+, Substance functionality must be installed separately, after importing the package and installing the Substance in Unity plugin. By default, all materials use normal, non-procedural, textures.

Instructions have been added to the documentation here: http://staggart.xyz/unity/fantasy-adventure-environment/fae-documentation/#substance-in-unity-2018

Still need to figure out how the update the tool for baking terrain Substance materials though.

32. Necka_

Necka_

Oh ok...
    Wouldn't it be possible to have somehow the Tree assets you've made in a Unity Tree version? to me everything seems here, it's not low poly tree so it should work (of course that's not fitting your whole asset, I'm asking just as an alternative)

It's just that at the moment my other Stylized tree (unity trees) fits well yours but they don't move in the same way on my terrain

33. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Sorry, but I can't make Tree Creator variants. It's pretty horrible to work with, and most of the trees aren't possible to reproduce with the tool.

I have made a modification to the WindController script. When a WindZone component is also added to the same object, it will listen to its "Main" value and set the wind strength and trunk weight accordingly, as you can see here:

I think this will achieve a believable result, it's also the best solution I can offer at this moment. I will PM you the modified script.

Necka_ likes this.
  34. Necka_

Necka_

That looks really good to me, will have a small request on the script (if possible) but honestly, thank you very much
    I'll reply to your PM

35. Pescu

Pescu

Hello, i need some information of how i can use the asset with the Vegetation Studio. (a tutorial)
    Is there a fast import package to import? Settings to set?
    I have also a question of how you create the demo. Seems you use a lot of modular rocks to create the montains.
    Did you use some assets for doing that fast? (Since you say it support gaia, i've seen gaia have a plugin, gena, to modulate this kind of thing).
    I'm using both Gaia for the terrain, spawn objects and vegetation studio for the vegetation. It would be nice to have a tutorial for the integration with those two assets.

36. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You can drag the prefabs into the plant/grass/tree fields, there's no special settings required. You can use the FAE assets with Vegetation Studio just like any other asset really.

The author is working on a framework which can show parameters from custom shaders in the Vegetation System component. Currently, you can only adjust parameters on materials, as you would usually do. But it requires you to refresh the prefab in the Vegetation System afterwards. Once this framework is in place, I will update the package to support this. After which I intend to make a video demonstration of both packages used together.

For the demo scene I placed all the rocks manually, since I wanted full control over transforms and which rock went where. I believe you could use Gena for distributing rocks, but in my experience it doesn't always pan out for small-scale environments. If you want to populate an entire landscape, then a tool like that is the way to go ;)

Pescu likes this.
  37. Heel_io

Heel_io

Hello,

First I'd like to thank you for this amazing asset, it's going to save me a lot of time on my project :)

But I have some issus with the water shader as I play around with the demo scene. As you can see on my first screenshot, the water appears black (except for the waterfalls). It may be related to Unity 2018 in some way.
    Capture d’écran 2018-05-05 à 13.04.16.png

I'm using the public release of Unity 2018.1.0f2 (macOS 10.13.4) with the Substance plugin installed from the asset store.

Does anyone had this problem before?

Also I don't know if it's a bug or just something you thought was useless for demo purposes, but there is no water at the top of the waterfalls nor in rivers (see screenshot 2). Not sure if this may be related to the same shader issue.
    Capture d’écran 2018-05-05 à 13.05.21.png

Thanks in advance

38. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Glad to hear you like it! :)

Are you by any chance using Metal rendering? Just tested a fresh project on OpenGL and had working water. Unfortunately my Mac is one generation behind of Metal support, so I cannot test it.

Looking into the "FAE_Water.shader" file, there is a line which reads:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #pragma exclude_renderers gles3 metal d3d11_9x xbox360 xboxone ps3 ps4 psp2
    You could try to remove the word "metal". Come to think of it, it shouldn't be there to begin with :p. Please let me know if this works out for you, so that I can make this change for the next update.

Also, you assumed correctly, there is no water on top of the waterfall because on foot, that part would likely never been seen.

Heel_io likes this.
  39. Heel_io

Heel_io

I am indeed using Metal, so after removing the word "metal" from that line everything works perfectly.
    Capture d’écran 2018-05-05 à 23.45.26.png
    Thank you for the quick reply!

40. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Great, thanks for giving it a try! I'll be sure to make this change in the package by default.

41. Pescu

Pescu

Hello,
    i try the asset with unity 2018.1 but i get "Assets/Fantasy Adventure Environment/Scripts/SubstanceBaker.cs(16,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `SubstanceImporter' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?" error.
    Before import this asset i download and import "Substance in Unity".
    When i import FAE asset it dosent add the "Help->Fantasy Adventure Environment" option.

42. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

When you upgrade a project to 2018.1 with the FAE package in it, you'll have to re-download the package from the Asset Store.

This is because a separate version was submitted for 2018.1+, which has a different set up for Substance.

A number of people have reported this, so I'll have to think of something to make this more straightforward...

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  43. Pescu

Pescu

I had the problem using new project, created with the 2018.1 version.

44. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I see, in that case you are most likely on an older version of the package and need to grab the latest version (1.2.2), which has 2018.1+ support.

There's currently a bug on the new asset store website which only shows the "Import" button, rather than "Update". In such a case, you can't actually update...

If you switch to the old store version ("Shop On Old Store" in the top right), this will work correctly, and you download the latest version

Noble-Woods and RaoulWB like this.
  45. Pescu

Pescu

Tanks for the quick reply, it was a problem of the version. The unity asset store didnt see the update. With the old version i could download the last version.

46. Kardeel

Kardeel

Hi.
    I'm here to ask you for a favor. Your asset is really awesome and very beautiful but for me the most incredible is grass pigmentation script. I think such script must be in unity by default. So the reason why i'm writing all of this is coz i didn't really need all of it (my opinion that all games need to have original content), but i'm interested in grass pigment script. And i hope we can negotiate it somehow maybe to buy only grass script for lower price. As you know, money is great problem for single developers, so don't get me wrong it may sound little brazenly, but i just trying to be economical)

DrOcto likes this.
  47. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I do understand where you're coming from. In hindsight, I would have made the grass a separate asset, but I didn't anticipate the scope of the package. I may still do this at some point, but I'd like it to be free for FAE owners, not sure how the asset store upgrade system works...

But unfortunately I cannot sell parts of a package outside of the asset store. The I'd time spent on setting up a licensing contract (not my favorite thing to do) far outweighs the potential price. When selling through the asset store, the EULA covers all this by default.

But you can get the package at 30% off right now, next sale most likely won't be until November.

Kardeel likes this.
  48. Kardeel

Kardeel

Thx for reply. I appreciate it.

And just to make clear

Is it means that you can't sell asset part in other stores or it means that you completly forbidden to share it?
    I mean it's still can be done without any intermediaries.

Anyway, i didn't insist on smth just interested. Thank one more time for reply)

49. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I believe you can still sell on other stores, a long as the price isn't lower than on the asset store. But pretty much all Unity users go to the asset store anyway. Selling through a platform is also less of a headache tax-wise, since I'm not involved in distribution.

No worries, you didn't come across as brass or anything ;)

Kardeel likes this.
  50. Kardeel

Kardeel

I see.
    Thanks.

I will try to figure smth out and probably will buy it on weekends. Because trying to match grass and terrain collor in unity is real pain. And my eyes start bleeding when i see those cuts between grass and terrain) They are really horrible)

Have a nice day! :)