Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantasy Adventure Environment - A stylized asset pack (Built-in/URP)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Aug 1, 2017.

1. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Will submit a new update today. I've also update the playable demo with the latest version.

Added:
    - Willow_A tree asset (with LODs, billboard and collider)
    - Willow_B tree asset (with LODs, billboard and collider)
    - Ambient Occlusion to tree trunks
    - ShaderGUI for FAE/Tree Trunk shader
    - Current Wind Controller settings information in Shader GUI's when help is toggled
    - Option under GameObject menu to create a new Wind Controller object

Changed:
    Trees:
    - Wind response, Ambient Occlusion and Light Transmission for all trees has been improved and fine-tuned per tree type
    - Corrected normals on Pine_A LOD meshes
    - Corrected UVs of Spruce and Pine tree trunks so the material is less vertically stretched
    - Lowered all trees 0.3 units, so the trunk doesn't appear to float on steep terrain surfaces

Wind:
    - Wind strength is now a shader function and thus can be changed during runtime
    - Wind weight parameter in shaders is renamed to "MaxWindStrength"

Grass:
    - Light transmission now visible in shorter grass as well
    - Improved grass wind color influence (only brightens, rather than darkening and brightening)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    camta005 likes this.
  2. SomerenV

SomerenV

Is it possible to sell the grass pigment shader/script separate from the rest? I've got pretty much everything else (trees, rocks, cliffs, textures, etc) but the grass from your package looks absolutely gorgeous, but 50 euro's is a bit steep to see if it works with what I'm working on. But I would happily pay 10 euro's for just that bit of the package.

I would also like to say that your package as a whole looks really good and it's a great start to get working on stylized environments. Really digging the Witness/Zelda BotW ecstatic.

3. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Had I know how extensive I would make the grass beforehand, I would probably have offered the grass separately (much like the water). But to do that now would not be fair to users who have already bought the FAE package. As I would add more features to the grass package, and leave them out of the FAE package, to add appeal. Maintaining both packages with the grass shader/scripts would be more hassle than I have room for, so I'd stand to gain little from it at the cost of a larger time investment.

I completely understand your point of view, but given the circumstances I don't think I'll be offering the grass separately in the future ;)

4. SonEvil

SonEvil

Please help!? How to stop everything effect when i edit game ? wind effect, water,... still works when I have not selected play mode! @@ The things that make my project very lag.

5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

In the scene view, you can disable post effects and animated material through this dropdown menu:

The performance impact of the wind effects is negligible though. So I doubt that's what causing your performance issues.

6. jlpeyton

jlpeyton

Hello,

Love this asset. Are there any areas of information about how to use this with Gaia?

7. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You can use Gaia as you would normally, except the grass and the plants should be added to your resources file as trees rather than "detail prototypes".

Tree objects on the Unity terrain will work with LODs and custom shaders, whereas detail objects will not, which is why ;)

8. jlpeyton

jlpeyton

I'll give this a try. Thanks!

You mention under the Performance tab in the documentation about splitting up the terrain. Without sounding too ridiculous, I want a 16K open world terrain. I've purchased Gaia and was looking at an asset called World Stream for large scenes. Would the fantasy terrain be feasible for a project like this? The closest example I can give is this scene attached of Breath of the Wild. You can see the distance and how enormous the region is, but it's not detailed.
    67.jpg

9. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Coincidentally, I'm working on a game that has an 8x8km terrain (made using Gaia), so I've had to explore the technicalities of making that possible. We also use World Streamer, it has a huge manual, but I definitely recommend reading it. You'll still need to build/find tools for splitting up (and stitching) your terrain into chunks and making LOD meshes for them.

For all the vegetation I use Vegetation Studio, because it makes use of GPU Instancing and has it's own culling system. The shaders in the FAE package support GPU Instancing, so they are compatible with this system. With it, it's possible to render a ton of trees in relatively few drawcalls.

So I only use World Streamer for the terrain chunks and anything other than vegetation.

TeagansDad likes this.
  10. jlpeyton

jlpeyton

I've been reading a lot of forums on the matter of large open worlds in unity and typically the responses are neglected due to the fact of how large of a project an individual is trying to tackle, but I am in the process of building a team and we will have some financing to help with this project, so your response is appreciated.

Have you checkout out SECTR?
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15356

I'm trying to distinguish the difference between this and World Streamer. However, it seems the game Firewatch was built using this asset. Here's an image from the game:
    2640740-firewatch-4.jpg

11. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Large open worlds are definitely a challenge and requires some creative thinking on the technical front. Where performance optimization should be done along the way. You'll find that the Unity terrain is a huge performance drain. I definitely recommend using mesh terrains instead.

I looked into SECTR, but it seemed to be more fitting for linearly moving between areas, instead of having a grid of 9 sections loaded around the player (which is how World Streamer does it). It works well for Firewatch because of the way their level design is made up. I believe the parts where you rappel up/down are used for loading/unloading sections. Open-world games don't have that kind of affordance :p

I haven't tried it though. There is unfortunately no documentation online to preview, and at its price point I didn't feel like it was worth the gamble. So far World Streamer works perfectly, it's the terrain workflow that's keeping me most busy at the moment.

12. jlpeyton

jlpeyton

8x8 is a big terrain. Are you utilizing Gaia's random terrain generator at all?

Can you look at this image? I'm using Enviro for weather and sky. It's a nice effect, but not what I'm going for. Any help would be appreciated. enviro.JPG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  13. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

So far, I'm stamping and sculpting the terrain, to accommodate the level design.

The RollingFog prefab uses the default Alpha Blend particle shader, which doesn't react to ambient lighting. You can bring the down the alpha channel of the Tint color at night time, to make it less bright:

14. jlpeyton

jlpeyton

Sorry what I was referring to are these streaks of light. streaks.JPG

15. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The intensity of the sunshafts are controlled through the Directional Light’s color’s alpha channel.

I don't think Enviro works with this, or it sets the alpha channel to full as its changing the color of the light. You would have to create an mediator script which sets the alpha channel based on Enviro's time-of-day, or modify the Enviro part responsible so that it does this ;)

16. RkSanders

RkSanders

Hey, running into some problems getting the grass color and height to work on a new terrain. I added the pigment map generator component and generated the pigment map and it looks like it's supposed to. But the grass prefabs in the scene are just gray. I checked the grass material in debug mode and can see that the _PigmentMap property has a ref to the correct texture. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Attached Files:

17. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That is a little strange, you did correct by checking the hidden texture reference. Do any of the pigment map parameters on your grass material have any effect? Also, are you using a unity version newer than 5.5? There are some safeguards built in to handle cases like this, but these are only possible in Unity 5.5+

18. RkSanders

RkSanders

Thanks for the reply. The Influence property lerps the color from that gray to the Top and Bottom properties. Height currently acts the exact same as Influence. Also, I tested moving the grass obj's position to be on top of all 4 textures on the terrain, no change in behavior for any of them.

I'm using Unity 5.6.3p1. Also, some things that may be helpful:

Opening the pigment texture in Photoshop and saving, changes the grass obj to be a darker gray, close to black. I tried just saving it and also filling it with grass color and saving, same result. I also tried doing this in a new project with only your packages imported and the same result happens with your demo1 scene and the FAE_DemoTerrain_pigmentmap.

I'm using a CTS package shader and having to use the Use Alternative Renderer option on the Pigment Map Generator component for it to generate. The pigment map it generates doesn't have transparency like your example one.

19. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I can replicate the same issue by opening the texture in PS and saving it, I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like the texture reference is lost when this happens.

What you can do is disable the PigmentMapGenerator script, and re-enable it, this will assign its pigment map to the shader, without re-rendering it.

Could you tell me why it is that you're modifying the texture in Photoshop?

20. RkSanders

RkSanders

I'm not trying to anything with it in Photoshop, I was just pointing out some odd behavior that might help track down whats going on. I can confirm enabling and disabling the component does make it revert the grass back to the gray color instead of black too.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  21. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I see, thanks for clarifying.

I'll have to check out CTS and see if it has any influence.

You mentioned you also tried out modifying the pigment in Photoshop and saving it in a blank project. Does the pigment map functionality work normally for you there?

22. RkSanders

RkSanders

Also, I just found that if I go into debug mode of the PigmentMapGenerate component and change the pigment map to the FAE_DemoTerrain_pigmentmap the grass works as intended.

23. jlpeyton

jlpeyton

24. bradbecker

bradbecker

Do you have an updated list of what Assets/plugins work well with this? I know Awesome Vegetation is on the list--what else?

25. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The cause of your issue is not readily apparent to me. I'll have to do some extensive debugging myself.

The water used in the demo scene is a hard-coded version of my water shader: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/71207 ;)
    So far I've only used Vegetation Studio in combination. I try to maintain an up-to-date list of (in)compatible assets in the documentation: http://staggart.xyz/unity/fantasy-adventure-environment/fae-documentation/#compatibilty

The point that makes or breaks compatibility is if the other system isn't hindered by the use of custom shaders for the vegetation and trees. uNature, for instance, can only do what it's supposed to do, if it it's own shaders are used. Whereas Vegetation Studio works with custom shaders, as long as they support GPU Instancing.

26. celinedrules

celinedrules

This looks amazing so I tired the demo and it all worked and looked beautiful. I went ahead and purchased this yesterday but after I import it, and start to follow the Environment Setup portion of the documentation, Unity constantly crashes after about 5 minutes. There isn't a single particular step when it crashes it is just random.

edit:

I just opened the crash.dmp and found: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

27. jlpeyton

jlpeyton

Ahhhh. Very nice! Love the water shader. I'm tinkering around with baking the terrain in the demo scene to test out some enemy AI units but when I bake the terrain I end up with these patches where the units can not walk. Have you seen this happen with your terrain?
    navmesh.JPG

28. RkSanders

RkSanders

Alright, thanks for looking into it.

29. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thanks for checking it out, I hope bits and piece will be of use t you, if not all of it! :)

I looked into the error message you found, it's not specifically a Unity error. It has something to do with read/write access. Perhaps if you start Unity under "Run as Administrator" you can avoid it.

Granted, I've never used NavMesh before in Unity, so I can't be sure. Maybe the terrain is too steep in that part for the maximum walk able angle you set?

30. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Just a headsup, the package is not entirely supported in Unity 2018.1. This is because the decision was made to remove native support for Substance materials. Instead, a separate plugin must be downloaded.

More info on that here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/an-update-on-substance-format-support-in-unity.509408/

Once 2018.1 is out of beta, I assume the plugin will be available as well. When it is, I'll add an installer menu to the package to warn users if the Substance plugin is missing. Otherwise you'll be greeted by a shower of errors.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  31. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I can't seem to replicate the issue... not exactly. It seems that the pigment map reference is lost to the shader when the file is re-imported. Changing a texture's properties (such as setting the texture's max resolution) in Unity re-imports the texture, under the hood. So by doing so I can make the grass turn gray.

So what seems to happen for you is that the pigment map is being generated, imported and assigned to the grass shader correctly, but it's then being re-imported again. Possibly by another script that uses an AssetPostprocessor
    class, since these run project-wide. I have CTS installed, but this does not seem to cause any issues.

The script explicitly imports the generated file first, before assigning it to the shader. If I add a line to the script that re-imports the texture after it's being assigned, the grass turns gray.

You mentioned you tried a blank project with only the FAE package installed. So it's a little puzzling to me as what could be the cause. Any more information about your project set up would be appreciated :D

32. celinedrules

celinedrules

I am using MapMagic and I tried to add the PigmentMapGenerator script at runtime after the terrain is created. When I call the Generate method, the output pigment map is always black. Is there something I am doing wrong?

33. celinedrules

celinedrules

In MapMagic in OnEnable() i have
    Code (CSharp):
    1. MapMagic.OnApplyCompleted -= ImDone;
    2. MapMagic.OnApplyCompleted += ImDone;
    and then
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void ImDone(Terrain terrain)
    2. {
    3.    PigmentMapGenerator pmg =
    4.                 terrain.gameObject.AddComponent<PigmentMapGenerator>();
    5.    pmg.Init();
    6.    pmg.Generate();
    7. }
    If I comment out pmg.Generate() and then click on the Generate button in the editor it works fine.

34. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The PigmentMapGenerator script is intended to be used in-editor, so I couldn't warrant the use for runtime, it may be too slow and you could experience a free-frame. If you do, be sure to set
    Code (CSharp):
    1. heightmapChannel = HeightmapChannel.None;
    Otherwise you the process will take much longer.

The Generate function works with the values set in the inspector when it is called. So if you're using a non-standard terrain shader, you may need to set the "useAlternativeRenderer" bool to true. Usually, if a pigment map turns out black, this needs to be enabled ;)

35. DMeville

DMeville

Hey! Just picked up this asset and have been playing with it all day, it's beautiful!

I've noticed some artifacts around the edges of trees and vegetation though. (https://imgur.com/a/wOvbo)
    The first two gifs in that album show some odd glowing against any foliage or trees that are drawn above the water. Turning off the only light in the scene causes some really odd behaviour (second gif). Disabling the water behind removes the glow, but not really a great solution.

The third gif looks it's an issue with shadows being cast in the wrong place. Turning off shadows on my directional light seems to remove these artifacts, but that's not a great solution as I'd like to use shadows! This issue reminds me of an error I've had with shaderforge before about shadows being cast incorrectly for some odd reason, but I never did figure out how to fix that (over a year ago: http://neatcorporation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=365)

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Edit: Camera was on forward rendering, changing it to deferred seems to fix both of these errors

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  36. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted and update with a few fixes:

Changelog
    Fixed:
    - Build errors on Nintendo Switch
    - Recreated Sunshaft shaders in ASE, fixing PS4 issues

Changed:
    - Removed all third party scripts from demo scene

Unity 2018
    I'll be making a separate version for Unity 2018.1 users. Currently this package isn't supported yet, because native Substance support is deprecated, but the Substance plugin isn't available yet. So it's a little dead in the water right now. There's also two shader errors that need to be addressed for this version.

I'll add a screen that pop up window when the package is first imported, which notifies you if the plugin is missing, and shows a button that takes you directly to the download page.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  37. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Will there be some more trees, cliffs, vegetation and terrain textures in the future updates?

38. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I don't have any plans to do so at the moment. I'm currently working on two game projects during the week, for which I'm making all the environment art and tech, so that leaves minimal time ;)

39. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Added multi-terrain support for the PigmentMapGenerator component for version 1.2.0

Workflow
    If the component is added to a Terrain or a Mesh, you can generate a map for that singular object.

If it is added to an object without these criteria, an array is exposed, allowing you to render multiple objects into one map. So you could add it to an empty gameobject, or to the parent object of your terrain chunks.

Unity 2018.1+
    As I mentioned before, as of Unity 2018.1, native support for Substance materials has been deprecated. A separate plugin has to be installed. Unfortunately, the way you're notified about this, is a shower of console errors :(:rolleyes:

To make this less confusing for users that import the package for the first time, a dialog will be shown with instructions:

I will wait until the 2018.1 release (should be some time next month) to submit this update.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  40. Aherys

Aherys

Hello, somes ask here :
    1) Got some weird sun reflectionn on the grass
    Here, it's good : https://gyazo.com/11796e5fbb484c272391b3a989938188
    Here, it's not, cause the shadow should not reflect the sun as she is in the shadow -> https://gyazo.com/ac8e189e62eacbd715daed13da75d90b

It's happening no matter i use vegetation studio or manual, with default shader or modified shader.

2) On what we should put the Cliff apparence script ? the cliff itself ? or a empty gameobject ? the terran ?

Thanks !

41. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Oh wow, thanks for pointing it out! I can replicate the same issue, I apparently never noticed it before! :confused: I've fixed it by using a custom lighting model, so I can mask out the light transmission by the shadows. I'll pm you the modified shader, but I'll have to test it in various lighting conditions before I include this fix in the package. I have an update in the barrel, so if all goes right I will include it.

For the CliffAppearance script, you should consider it a manager script, it doesn't modify the object it is attached to, only the material assigned in the inspector. You can attach it to any object of your choosing, I personally prefer an empty gameobject.

42. Aherys

Aherys

Thanks a lot, wonderfull job !
    Will try it.

I got some discussion with Vegetation Studio autor, if there is a way to implement shader of vegetation studio in grass, just to have the hit touch reaction working ?

last point : could you mention in the tutorial for cliff how to make the top view screenshot ? it's not clear.
    I mean, how to have the good size in the map ? there is a procedure to get the proper sized/zoomed picture to have the good coverage ?

Thanks !

Oh, and i share my creation with your stuff (Vegetation studio + FAE + stylized environement texture).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1342455641

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  43. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

For the next update (version 1.2.0) I'm working on implementing Vegetation Studio's "TouchBend system" into the grass shader, but I'm still having some trouble combining it with the wind animations. But I will work this out eventually ;)

While working on it, I noticed an oversight regarding the cliff coverage feature. You'll need to add the PigmentMapGenerator script to your terrain, as this will grab your terrain size and position and save the information. The FAE/Cliff Coverage shader looks for this information in order to align and stretch the coverage map over the terrain.

Once you have added this, you can create a coverage map in an image editing tool as illustrated here: http://staggart.xyz/unity/fantasy-adventure-environment/fae-documentation/#cliff-appearance

The CliffAppearance script should read the terrain info on its own, it shouldn't depend on the PigmentMapGenerator script. It's already on my todo list to make the script independent.

Ps: the link you posted leads to a Rainbow Six Siege screenshot :p

LennartJohansen likes this.
  44. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Well, I'm not waiting for 2018.1 to release anymore :p I'll check for compatibility once it releases this month.

Update has been submitted, and will hopefully be available this week.

Updated minimum supported version to Unity 5.6 to make full use of GPU-instancing.

Added:
    - About window
    - PigmentMapGenerator support for multi-terrain setups, please view the documentation for usage instructions
    - Arrow gizmo to WindController
    - Grass shader support for Vegetation Studio's TouchReact system. Flattened grass is also tinted slightly darker.
    - Nav Mesh Obstacle component to all trees
    - WindTrails particle effect (reacts to WindZone)

Changed:
    - Recompiled shaders using latest ASE version (1.5.0)
    - WindController no longer utilizes a Substance material
    - WindAmplitude is now a shader parameter
    - Sunshaft particles now use Soft Particles (Quality Settings) for better performance scaling
    - Sunshafts no longer use the Directional Light's alpha channel for opacity, added an Opacity material parameter instead
    - Grass wind tinting is now influenced by wind strength
    - Renamed "Resources" folder to "Source", to avoid unneccesary build inclusion

Fixed:
    - Grass light transmission being visible in shadows

Removed:
    - Water/Particles/RockDetail Substance materials (Had no parameters, so were baked to textures)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    HalDevOne, judah4 and LennartJohansen like this.
  45. rekka3000

rekka3000

Hi there!

Loving the demo scene provided with this asset. In a previous post the user jlpeyton asked how to use this asset with Gaia and you mention you can use Gaia as usual other than trees and grass added as trees. This may seem like a newbie question, but I've looked through the demo scene and not found out the answer yet either. Once you make a terrain asset, how do you apply the FAE shader / textures so that the land looks like in the demo scene. Obviously trees and grass are also custom but first I need to get to grips with applying custom materials to the terrain object and having everything work properly.

Any advice?

46. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Hi! I should point out the package only includes terrain textures, not a terrain shader. For the demo scene I used the default Unity terrain shader.

In the Fantasy Adventure Environment/Terrain/Textures folder you'll find sub-folders for the terrain textures (grass, rock, sand, etc).

You can add these textures (only the diffuse and normal map) to the terrain as you would normally:

I believe in Gaia you would have to set up the textures in a "Gaia resources" file, but it's best to check the Gaia documentation for details.

Additionally, in the Fantasy Adventure Environment/Terrain/Substance folder you'll find all the Substance materials. These are essentially procedural texture generators. You can modify a number of properties and convert it to a texture, which in turn can be used on the terrain.

You find more details about that here: http://staggart.xyz/unity/fantasy-adventure-environment/fae-documentation/#customizing-assets

47. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

I've got this error when I've checked "Static" on terrain which was using that trees
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Zero UV area or surface area on mesh 'FAE_Birch_A'.
    2. Zero UV area or surface area on mesh 'FAE_Birch_C'.

48. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This may be an issue with the UV unwrapping Enlighten is attempting. Thanks for pointing it out!

I'll try to reproduce it by baking some scenes with these trees in them. With and without Unity terrain (the tree system may have an effect)

On another note, I've been considering implementing the new FBX exporter into my tree building pipeline. Which should be rather easy to do.

The trees would no longer be .asset files. This would enable the regular model import options, such as lightmap UV's, reading/writing, scale, and mesh compression.

MaximilianPs likes this.
  49. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

TeagansDad likes this.
  50. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Looks great, lush! :cool:

Instanced Indirect wasn't support for assets with sub-meshes (the trees), but it seems this limitation was lifted. So I'll look into implementing this for the grass, foliage and tree shaders!