Search Unity

Falling player in unity!

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Gabimela, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Gabimela

Gabimela

I am trying to get my player to die when it hits thee ground. This is my code
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class FallingPlayer : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     GameObject Player;
    8.     float CurrentFallTime;
    9.     public float MaxFallTime = 3;
    10.     bool PlayerIsFalling;
    11.     bool isGrounded;
    13.     void Update()
    14.     {
    15.         if (Player.isGrounded == false)
    16.         {
    17.             PlayerIsFalling = true;
    18.         }
    19.         else PlayerIsFalling = false;
    21.         if (PlayerIsFalling)
    22.         {
    23.             CurrentFallTime += Time.deltaTime;
    24.         }
    25.         if (Player.isGrounded && CurrentFallTime < MaxFallTime)
    26.         {
    27.             CurrentFallTime = 0;
    28.         }
    30.         if (CurrentFallTime >= MaxFallTime && Player.isGrounded)
    31.         {
    32.             GameManager.Instance.FallOxygen();
    33.         }
    34.     }
    35. }

and these are the errors i am getting:
    Assets\FallingPlayer.cs(15,20): error CS1061: 'GameObject' does not contain a definition for 'isGrounded' and no accessible extension method 'isGrounded' accepting a first argument of type 'GameObject' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\FallingPlayer.cs(25,20): error CS1061: 'GameObject' does not contain a definition for 'isGrounded' and no accessible extension method 'isGrounded' accepting a first argument of type 'GameObject' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\FallingPlayer.cs(30,54): error CS1061: 'GameObject' does not contain a definition for 'isGrounded' and no accessible extension method 'isGrounded' accepting a first argument of type 'GameObject' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

2. Nyxal_Indie

Nyxal_Indie

You are not assigning nothing to the variable type GameObject "Player", this is why you get the error. If you want to assign the player object you have to declare "public GameObject Player" and then in the inspector you can drag your player object. Anyway i think you would get the error in that case too because a game object type doesn't have a "isGrounded" variable so you can't access to it

3. Gabimela

Gabimela

so how would i write that?

4. Nyxal_Indie

Nyxal_Indie

What components have you attached to the player object?
    What components have you attached to the player object?

5. Gabimela

Gabimela

i have a rigidbody, capsule collider, scripts to control the player and an animatior

6. Nyxal_Indie

Nyxal_Indie

If you want to access to the variable isGrounded, assuming it's inside PlayerControl script, you can do something like this:
    bool isGrounded = GetComponent<PlayerControl>().isGrounded

7. Gabimela

Gabimela

now i get this : Assets\fallplayer.cs(10,23): error CS0236: A field initializer cannot reference the non-static field, method, or property 'Component.GetComponent<PlayerControl>()'

8. Nyxal_Indie

Nyxal_Indie

I think you are missing how Unity works. Do you have a script "PlayerControl" attached to the player object and is there a public variable called isGrounded? Is there attached the script "FallingPlayer" to the player object?

9. BackgroundMover

BackgroundMover

You have to do the GetComponent<PlayerControl>() bit inside a function, it can't be up where the bool is declared on the class. So either move the whole line inside Update(), or only declare your bool up at the top, and set its value with GetComponent inside Update()