Search Unity

Bug Fallback font & normal font get superimposed

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Rackover, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Rackover

Rackover

Hello,

I'm working on a game that uses a certain font to display text, which is only made of western characters (latin charset). However, the game is localized in japanese.
    Since that font cannot display japanese characters, I have put a fallback font in the western font that supports japanese characters: therefore if a character isn't found in the western atlas, it's taken from the japanese atlas.

This works great, and allows my game to seamlessly go from one language to another just by using a fallback font.
    However, if I have a text mesh pro with japanese characters, and I `SetText` western characters into it, instead of simply using the normal font instead of the fallback one the text mesh will get "stuck" and ghost the previous characters on to the new ones.

upload_2020-8-9_18-41-18.png
    upload_2020-8-9_18-41-46.png

(Here you can see: despite containing only the words "TrackMasters", the mesh renders two texts at once because it _used_ to contain a japanese word)

How can I solve this problem? Currently, SetActive(false) then SetActive(true) is enough to clear that mess but it makes everything blink and it's not pretty.

Is there a more persistent solution? I would like my game to work both in japanese and english.

Thank you very much

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Please test using the latest release of the TMP package which is version 1.5.1 for Unity 2018.4, version 2.1.1 for Unity 2019.4 and version 3.0.1 for Unity 2020.x.

Let me know if the behavior persists with the latest release.

3. Rackover

Rackover

Hello,
    Behaviour persist with the latest version of TextMeshPro, which is 2.1.1 for Unity 2019.3.15f1.
    It was already present on 2.1.0 preview 4, which was the version I was using before.

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

If you are able to easily reproduce this behavior, please submit a bug report with the project and steps to reproduce. Once you have submitted the report, please provide me with the Case # once you have it.