Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fair Use of Images of Asset Store Assets by a Player

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Spiraseven, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Spiraseven

Spiraseven

This is probably a hard question to have a clear answer for but I am hoping someone here has some knowledge on this subject.

Lets say I were to create a game with assets from the asset store that I purchase. Then a player of my game goes on to create an AMV using clips from my game or streams my game on Twitch and the video(s) are monetized. Obviously if I created the assets myself I could allow users to do that, but if the assets came from the asset store but I purchased those assets can I allow users to do that? Does the asset store EULA cover this somehow?

Thanks!

2. BetaMark

BetaMark

I am not a lawyer ... but when you license the art from the asset store, you are licensing the raw files (3d objects, textures, animations, sound files, etc) from the original author of that asset. Read that license to know what rights the original asset owner is retaining. Generally stuff you get from the asset store says "you can't just repackage the parts of this asset into another asset and sell it, but you are free to use these assets for your game". Again, IANAL.

The licensing granting for recordings of your "compiled" work is up to YOU the compiled work's IP holder.

With all that said, take my understanding of the law with a grain of salt. Chris Reid, however, IS A LAWYER, and he talks about game IP all the time and is an all around awesome guy. This video might give you more insight into the whole legal side of fair use with assets and reuse recordings of your game with assets from other places:

Spiraseven and Mark_01 like this.
  3. Spiraseven

Spiraseven

Hey thanks for this response! I will take a look a this video!