Search Unity

Failing App Certification on Surface RT

Discussion in 'Windows' started by plasticYoda, Sep 25, 2013.

1. plasticYoda

plasticYoda

After the recent Unity upgrade, I rebuilt my App for the store with some minor fixes - nothing that should impact the App launching.

However, I'm now getting failures when running the App Cert Kit 3.0 on the Surface RT device.

The report shows 3 fails -- two are to do with App start up, and the 3rd is DirectX performance.

<TEST INDEX="43" NAME="Performance launch" DESCRIPTION="Application should have a responsive launch time with reasonable CPU, File IO and Memory usage" EXECUTIONTIME="00h:01m:27s.62ms">
    <RESULT><![CDATA[FAIL]]></RESULT>
    <MESSAGES>
    <MESSAGE TEXT="Application Error: Application Launch was not detected for application App. This could be because your application failed to launch correctly. Please consider re-running the test and avoid interacting with the application while tests are running." />
    </MESSAGES>
    </TEST>

<REQUIREMENT NUMBER="22" TITLE="Direct3D Feature Test" RATIONALE="App should use the Direct3D capability correctly.">
    <TEST INDEX="51" NAME="Direct3D feature level support" DESCRIPTION="Applications must render content on Direct3D feature level 9.1 hardware." EXECUTIONTIME="00h:00m:01s.90ms">
    <RESULT><![CDATA[FAIL]]></RESULT>
    <MESSAGES>
    <MESSAGE TEXT="Application App was not running at the end of the test. It likely crashed or was terminated for having become unresponsive." />
    </MESSAGES>
    </TEST>
    </REQUIREMENT>

I'm not sure anything I did would have changed the App performance this much, but I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing similar problems on RT? (The PC Cert Kit shows no such problems).

Thanks,

PY

2. tswalk

tswalk

the app will fail performance test if it takes longer than 5 seconds to launch... in this case, you'll need to employ an extended splash screen technique to 'fake' the windows activation and continue Unity loading beyond the 5 second limit.

3. yoonitee

yoonitee

I recently upgraded to Unity 4.2.1 as well and now even though my apps pass the certification on my PC, they fail it when uploaded to the store.

The only change is that Unity 4.2.1 puts a Unity splash screen up.

Is this causing all Unity 4.2.1 apps to fail certification? Anyone had any luck uploading a Unity 4.2.1 app to the Windows store? How did anyone fix this problem? Is it a bug with Unity 4.2.1 ????

Can someone show how to do the extended splash screen technique?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  4. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Could you attach the report ? Also which WACK version are you using, as far as I know MS uses WACK 3.0.

5. yoonitee

yoonitee

Yes I'm using the latest WACK. I don't have a report because it passes on my PC. It only fails after I upload it to the store! Unfortunately the only feedback they give me is "It failed technical compliance please test this on your PC". Which is no help since it passes on my PC!

I've reported this to the Microsoft people so I'll see what they have to say. If they are any help at all.

Anyway, I downloaded Unity 4.2.0 to see if that would fix it but it didn't so maybe it's not the splash screen after all - although that can't help with loading times which must be under 5 seconds. (I have 2 other apps I made with Unity 4.2.0 that are fine.)

I can only guess that they test it on slower computers and that the loading time is therefore longer. But I wish they would tell me what the problem is!!!

I have to say the Microsoft App store is a big hassle all round for developers! I much prefer to make Android Apps, but then so does everyone else! That's democracy for you.

Anyway, I would like to know if an "extended splash screen" would help pass the test? Or would this just make it look like it was taking even longer to load?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  6. yoonitee

yoonitee

Just downloaded WACK 3.0 and it passed on that too.

So I don't know what's wrong. Will have to wait for Microsoft to respond I expect.

7. tswalk

tswalk

yes, it would help. the idea with the extended splash screen is to get rid of the static image that gets plastered up with something that perhaps gives the idea that the app is actually doing something (perhaps with a indeterminate progress bar).

8. yoonitee

yoonitee

So if I'm making a XAML C# app can it just be a page showing a progress bar or does it have to imitate the first splash screen?

And then presumably I send the C# something from Unity when my first scene loads?

Unfortunately this would cover up the nice Unity splash screen wouldn't it?

The way it's described here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh868191.aspx
    seems overly complicated.

9. tswalk

tswalk

You can put anything you wanted to up, but most examples I've seen and made take the same image specified in the manifest, center it to the screen, add a progress bar and move on... it makes for a smoother visual transition.

You could handle a call back from Unity to detect when it loads and provide a transition, but it isn't entirely necessary. Once Unity is finished doing its' thing and fills the DirectX framebuffer you'll be up and running. However, I've noticed that the XAML/C# gets presented much quicker than the swapchainbackgroundpanel and would leave me with a black filled framebuffer. I don't particularly like that in my case and handle a call back. But this could just be something I'm doing weird and may not be a problem for you.

10. tswalk

tswalk

11. yoonitee

yoonitee

So put an extended splash screen. And again it passed certification on my PC but not when uploaded. :( Still, it looks nicer with the extended splash screen. :)