Search Unity

Failed to start Unity Package Manager

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by iriguchi, Apr 19, 2018.

1. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Can you check what's the content of
    C:\Users\user\Desktop\?a?a???t??\Unity\2019.4.20f1\Editor\Data\Resources\PackageManager\ folder? Can you find
    C:\Users\user\Desktop\?a?a???t??\Unity\2019.4.20f1\Editor\Data\Resources\PackageManager\Server\server\app.js. Sorry I'm not sure what ?a?a???t?? is, but it is the folder on your Desktop where Unity is installed.

It could be that you have a corrupt installation of Unity, missing files could explain the behaviour that you are experiencing. You could try to uninstall Unity and install it again from the Hub. While reinstalling Unity from the HUB, do not close the HUB, wait for the installation complete.

There is another possibility, that the files are present but the characters from the folder on your Desktop where Unity is installed is causing the application to malfunction. If that's the case, I would suggest installing Unity under another folder, and please notify us that was the source of your problem so we can investigate and solve the issue.

2. Spokkazoni

Spokkazoni

I posted the contents in the picture bellow. The weird series of charachters I think is my native language's characters translated to that?
    I already tried installing and uninstalling unity but I will give it another shot as well as installing it in another folder.

Attached Files:

3. Spokkazoni

Spokkazoni

so I did the things you told me and it seems like they didnt work unless I did them wrong. the following attached files are the task it gets stuck at and the error it throws.
    I also run the diagnostics and it showed me the following results: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/DJVfmbVfd6/.
    I also found the attached log file. I dont know if it has something to do with the context but I think some things are worth checking. I dont know what they mean but they seem a bit fishy.

Edit: I am so dumb. your solution worked but I forgot to save the new installation folder and it downloaded right where it used to be. I manually moved the files and it WORKED. so many uneccesary files posted. Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  4. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

@Spokkazoni happy to see you have a working Unity again :) So now you have installed Unity in another folder? (I tried to guess and type the folder name but I couldn't submit the post, it seems to be Greek for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panagiotis the word you were using in your folder name)

One question, I see you are in Windows, what specific Windows version are you using? What locale are you using on your Windows, Greek? Or was the folder name that had Greek alphabet characters? I'm just trying to understand what was the source of your problem in order to be able to fix it. Alternative, you could submit a bug from Unity (Help > Report a bug), it does collect all the information I'm asking you. You can find instructions here.

Thanks in advance for the info.

5. Spokkazoni

Spokkazoni

@supitaUnity I am using Windows 10 Home with a Greek language setting (if thats what you are asking). The folder I was using was in Greek characters named Panagiotis*. the subfolder the editor was Panagiotis*\Unity\<editor folder>. When I put the editor folder in the Desktop it worked again.

I also had downloaded the same version of Unity in that folder before in that exact location so I dont think the folder is the issue as much as the files inside. Maybe after the system reboot/upgrade some files inside the folder got corrupted and interfered with Unity? I am no expert and its a bit confusing as well

* = in Greek characters

6. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the info @Spokkazoni. I was not sure if you had your system language as Greek, of it was just the Greek characters on the folder name. For example, my mother tongue is not English, but I always set up Windows to be installed with English locale.

I've seen reports of antivirus removing/quarantining some of the files from the Unity Package Manager application, maybe this is something you could look into if you find yourself with this problem again.

7. Spokkazoni

Spokkazoni

@supitaUnity the antivirus wasnt the issue this time. I put on ignore all Unity folders and .exe's and even turned it off but I will keep it in mind :p
    Thanks again for the help and I am glad I provided as much info I could

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  8. Axhead

Axhead

So I am getting the same error message:
    upload_2021-5-12_23-3-33.png
    Any advice? Did things ever get resolved for Cyborg?

9. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Please check this forum thread, it has information on how to troubleshoot the problem you are experiencing.

10. abielucu89

abielucu89

1st: Install 2018.2.0b1
    2nd: Create New Project
    3rd: I got this screenshot.