Search Unity

Failed to load mono

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Zipe92, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Zipe92

Zipe92

Hello,

I have a problem with Unity 2018: when I try to start the compiled .exe (Windows Standalone) the message "failed to load mono" appears.
    I just upgraded to Unity 2018.1. I originally used Unity 2017.3.1f1 and I had no problems with Mono.

I have tried with Unity 2018.1.6f1 and 2018.2.0f2 but I have the same error. I have also tried to change the scripting backend from "Mono" to "IL2CPP" but it returns the same error message.

Also, the MonoBleedingEdge folder, which I read should appear in the target folder, does not appear in my case. Copying it from the Unity installation directory does not resolve the issue though.

Thanks in advance.

Manuel

2. Visma99

Visma99

Hi, I recently update to 2018.2 from 2017 too and I've seen that with old version the compiling process ended with 2 files: exe and data folder; with the newest version, instead, Unity creates: exe, data folder, DLL file and Mono folder. Probably you miss that folder.

Diego

3. Zipe92

Zipe92

When I build with Mono as scripting backend the "Mono" folder is correctly created..other ideas?

4. Zipe92

Zipe92

Fixed, the problem was caused by a wrong version of UnityPlayer.dll, I was using the Unity 2017 version instead of 2018.

5. joostbos

joostbos

@Zipe92 How can I see the difference?

I have the same problem and renamed the old dll, rebuilt the project in Unity 2018.3.5 and saw that a new UnityPlayer.dll was created with the same creation date (7 Feb 2019).

Strange thing is that if I run the exe in the project folder where it was created it runs fine, but when I copy the exe, the Data folder and UnityPlayer.dll to another folder I get the Failed to load mono error. And there is no other UnityPlayer.dll in the project folder or subfolders.

Thanks.

6. un1tydevel0per

un1tydevel0per

@joostbos You either didn't bring all of the files that were in the original directory or you are using an outdated DLL file (You can get a new one at dll-files.com)