Search Unity

Failed to load 'Assets/Scenes/GameScene.unity' because its serialized file version is higher...

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ecloev, Oct 10, 2015.

1. ecloev

ecloev

Hello,
    I just transferred my project to a different computer where i just installed Unity.
    For some reason the only scene that works is my menu and i'm getting this error when opening main scene.

Failed to load 'Assets/Scenes/GameScene.unity' because its serialized file version is higher than what this version of Unity supports.

Help Please!

2. McMayhem

McMayhem

That error means that you saved the project in a higher version of Unity than the version of Unity you just tried to open it in. Are you sure the version you just installed is the latest version? I sometimes forget to clean my downloads folder and the list of 5.1.3, 5.1.0.p1, 5.2.1f1 installers can lead to a miss-click.

3. ecloev

ecloev

What is the latest version?

4. McMayhem

McMayhem

5.2.1 is the latest version so far.

5. ecloev

ecloev

Well that's what i have right now so how could it have saved in a higher version?

6. ecloev

ecloev

So any ideas haha?

7. McMayhem

McMayhem

That is very odd. It's possible you've got something corrupt going on in your project file. What I would suggest at this point is to force a re-import of all assets. Might take a while, but it could be the source of your problem.

Have you filed a bug report with Unity?

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

It's also possible to open the file in notepad and drop the version number. This is a crazy hack that might cause more problems then it solves. Back up everything first!

9. ecloev

ecloev

Nope, that just brought up a ton of errors like no normals in mesh and stuff :(

10. ecloev

ecloev

Bump still stuck

11. Happy-Zomby

Happy-Zomby

12. Xepherys

Xepherys

So I had this same issue with my project in 5.5.0. The issue in my case was that I had changed the Asset Serialization to "Force Text" and then had a bad merge in my git repo. I ended up with merge conflict markers in almost every file. I was able to reset to a prior commit and resolve the issue. I don't know if it's the issue for the OP, but it is a possible solution for some people.

13. huulong

huulong

Same issue when upgrading from Unity 2017 to Unity 2018 and switching from Mac to Linux at the same time. So I would recommend to either switch OS first, then upgrade the version, or vice-versa.

Since my project is versioned and the bug appeared when cloning, I still had the original version with the previous Unity on my Mac. In Unity 2017, I forced serializing to Text, then copied the file directly to the Unity 2018 project on Linux, then serialized again to Binary, and it worked.

14. mkgame

mkgame

I have the same issue in Unity 2018.3.0f2, no Unity update, just updated the "Substance in Unity" asset from Allegorithmic to the version 2.2.2.

15. Vanabee

Vanabee

Try do this :
    In editor
    Open Help -> Reset packages to defaults.
    It worked for me.

Make sure to back up your current project just in case :)

16. Sarah0Salem

Sarah0Salem

It works with 2019.2.5 perfectly! Thanks!

mnorm likes this.