Search Unity

Failed to get RiderPath via .channel.settings.json

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Dravere, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Dravere

Dravere

I've installed Unity 2018.3.3f1 via Unity Hub. When I open a project in that Unity version I get 12 identical warnings and 12 identical errors.

Error:
    Code (csharp):
    1. ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    2. Parameter name: source
    3. System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source) (at <1b13ba6391c74847bbc3eddc86df7eee>:0)
    4. UnityEditor.RiderPathLocator+<CollectPathsFromToolbox>c__AnonStorey3.<>m__0 (System.String a) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SyncRiderProject.cs:198)
    5. UnityEditor.SyncRiderProject:PathCallback()
    6. UnityEditorInternal.ScriptEditorUtility:GetFoundScriptEditorPaths(RuntimePlatform) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ScriptEditorUtility.cs:146)
    7. UnityEditor.SettingsWindow:OnEnable()
    8. UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadSerializedFileAndForget()
    9. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadWindowLayout(String, Boolean)
    Warning:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Failed to get RiderPath via .channel.settings.json
    2. UnityEditor.SyncRiderProject:PathCallback()
    3. UnityEditorInternal.ScriptEditorUtility:GetFoundScriptEditorPaths(RuntimePlatform) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ScriptEditorUtility.cs:146)
    4. UnityEditor.SettingsWindow:OnEnable()
    5. UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadSerializedFileAndForget()
    6. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadWindowLayout(String, Boolean)
    It seems to be unable to locate my Rider IDE. But when I click on "Open C# project in Rider" under the Assets menu it will open Rider without a problem. Rider is installed via the JetBrains Toolbox. I can find the ".channel.settings.json" file. But I see no active_application property or similar in that JSON file, which it seems to search according to this: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/UnityCsReference/blob/2018.3/Editor/Mono/SyncRiderProject.cs

Can somebody help me remove those errors? They always reappear after clearing them when I switch back from Rider to Unity. It is kind of annoying. Is this a bug in Unity or do I have some configuration wrong?

2. DenisK_WRG

DenisK_WRG

Same here. Funny but exceptions and warning are only when Project Settings window is opened (or even just pinned anywhere and inactive) but if close Project Settings error will gone.

d2w_v3s, Gladrioss and Dravere like this.
  3. Dravere

Dravere

Interesting. It is indeed only appearing when you have project settings or preferences open or in a tab. In my case I had them in a tab open in the background. Well this at least makes the problem much less annoying. Thank you.

4. MostHated

MostHated

Well then. Good call. I just noticed I had project settings opened after I read that, closed it. No more errors.

5. steego

steego

6. VinyxAi

VinyxAi

Still happening here.

7. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

In 2020, still finding this a problem (Rider 2019.x has sooooo many bugs we've given up using it for Unity development - they keep breaking the basic editing experience, simple features we use everyday, slowing down the editor with unwanted (not optional) features that are for Windows dev not Unity, etc - so we've gone back to Rider 2018 permanently).

The TL;DR is: don't use Rider's "Toolbox" system for installing and managing versions (hint: you shouldn't use it anyway - JetBrains claims it's the "preferred" approach but even they admit it doesn't work properly and introduces a bunch of problems that don't exist in Rider itself. Just say No, and delete it! It doesn't interact properly with Windows Add/Remove programs, it doesn't manage versions of Rider properly, etc). If you have it, delete this folder:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\JetBrains\Toolbox\

(in our case, didn't even need to install Rider - the Rider version continued working fine with Toolbox deleted).

Bugs like this one then disappear (and you can start managing your Rider versions properly!)