Search Unity

Failed to find a suitable OpenCL device, falling back to CPU lightmapper.

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by JackReivaj, Jul 11, 2021.

1. JackReivaj

JackReivaj

Hi! I'm having this troubles:
    "Opencl device NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB from nvidia corporation has less tan 4gb of global memory, ignoring device for lightmapping.
    Failed to find a suitable OpenCL device for the GPU Lightmapper, falling back to CPU lightmapper. Please install the latest graphics driver."
    I don't know what it means. I can't use GPU because the graphic card isn't too good? Is this a problem? How does it affect me?

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! At the moment, minimum spec for the GPU lightmapper is 4GB of VRAM. Your GPU has 3GBs, which is below the minimum spec. That's why you are running into issues.

JamesArndt and JackReivaj like this.
  3. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Has this problem been fixed in newer versions? Can we use graphics with 2 GB of memory?

• GI: The Unity Editor no longer returns erroneous error messages about GPU driver issues when the user's GPU does not have enough memory to support the GPU Lightmapper. (1289660)

4. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

You cannot at the moment. The minimum spec is still 4 GBs of VRAM. We might revisit this in the future, once all lightmap tiling work has been completed.

UnityLighting likes this.
  5. wilkens

wilkens

I am using 4GB GTX980 on Arch linux. all nvidia and GPGPU packages are installed, still no luck. Same error here
    "Failed to find a suitable OpenCL device for the GPU Lightmapper, falling back to CPU lightmapper. Please install the latest graphics driver"

jiaozi158 likes this.
  6. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Which Unity editor version are you on? Try updating to the latest stable release.

7. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

One of the following packages might do the trick. It sounds like you are missing the OpenCL driver.
    sudo apt install clinfo ocl-icd-opencl-dev opencl-headers

giorgos_unity likes this.
  8. KingsGames

KingsGames

Try to download latest unity version:)

9. ZeroFlame

ZeroFlame

I hope you guys don't forget about this.

KoenKruk likes this.
  10. KoenKruk

KoenKruk

Me too. I have this issue and I can't really do anything about it, other than buy new stuff. >:|

11. timmccune

timmccune

I am getting this warning as well but on a laptop with a RTX 2060 GPU which CPU-Z reports having 6GB ram.

12. SyahStardust

SyahStardust

I was running the lightmapper just fine on an RTX 2070 max Q for days on Linux, with Unity 2021.3.17.
    This mornning I tried to use the Filtering option - switched from Auto to Advanced. It said the OPTIX option was not available because of the current hardware. I switched it to OpenImageDenoise and generated the lightmaps.

But now it's always reverting back to CPU, and telling me in the console that it can't find a proper GPU.
    • I have reverted all the settings back in the Lightmapper.
    • I tried restarting and upgraded to 2021.3.21, with no success.
    • I tried deleting the lighting settings and started from scratch. no success.
    What am I missing here?

UPDATE 03/30/2023:

It is a bug with Unity.

Clearing the GI cache, and restarting Linux gets the GPU working with the Lightmapper again. I will look into hanging processes instead of restarting Linux when this happens again and post an update as needed.

UPDATE 04/01/2023:

Found it.

The Lightmapper stops working when I suspend the laptop. I think this has been the case all along, hence why it all works fine after restarting Ubuntu.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  13. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

Hmm. Could be a driver issue or bug with OpenCL. I believe some laptops with dedicated NVidia GPUs, especially on Linux, have behavior that conditionally enables or disables the dedicated GPU in favor of the iGPU. Perhaps suspension is messing with that. The word Optimus and the command `optirun` spring to mind. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/technologies/optimus/technology/ perhaps worth looking into?

14. Grinchi

Grinchi

Having this kind of problem with Unity 2021 and RX GPUs for a long time. idk why but latest drivers and unity are not friends any more :(