Search Unity

"Failed to create agent because it is not close enough to the NavMesh"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by PeterB, Feb 29, 2012.

1. PeterB

PeterB

I have a large terrain with a navmesh, running on an authoritative server running Unity 3.5 and uLink. Everything works very nicely, but when creating a NavMeshAgent at runtime, Unity comes back with the following error message:

Code (csharp):
    1. Failed to create agent because it is not close enough to the NavMesh
    However, as you can see from the attachment, the agent is right on the navmesh.

Googling the error message yields absolutely nothing useful, apart from an irrelevant forum posting on these forums (sans reply). There are no other NavMeshAgents active, pathfinding works fine in other scenes, no performance problems. The terrain is 4000x4000. The navmesh isn't a heightmesh. Should it be? The Y value of the NavMeshAgent is just over 300. I can't but wonder if the navmesh is treated as conceptually flat, with a Y value of 0.

Filed as a bug. I'll post the case # as soon as Unity's automated bug tracking system comes back with one.

Anyway, I'm completely stumped. There's hardly any documentation, the error message is clearly wrong unless the graphics are misleading and a heightmesh is required.

Any ideas, anyone?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    Tymianek likes this.
  2. PeterB

PeterB

Bump.

Tymianek likes this.
  3. mohydineName

mohydineName

Same issue here

Tymianek likes this.
  4. PeterB

PeterB

Trying to build a heightmesh yields the error, "buildNavigation: Could not build compact data.". Judging from the Recast source, this doesn't seem to be an out of memory error.

5. PeterB

PeterB

Bump. Doesn't this issue merit at least some response from someone in the know? I'd be more than happy to provide a minimal set.This is a blocker for my project.

AldeRoberge likes this.
  6. PeterB

PeterB

I took a closer look at this. It *is* memory-related, after all; however, Unity provides misleading information *and* behaves in a way which hides this fact. The terrain of 4000x4000 is obviously very large (and really would require a hierarchical approach). Nevertheless, if the bake completes as expected, then the results should be as expected. However, they're not:

1. When baking the navmesh on my 4 GB RAM machine, everything *appears* ok - no error messages are given, everything just completes as expected. However, the resulting navmeshes are unusable.

2. I then added another 4 GB RAM to the machine, for a total of 8 GB RAM. I then kept a close watch on free memory during the bake. As Recast slowly required more and more memory, I had to quit the other two, three applications running (Chrome, Mail). When the bake was ready to be imported, Unity crashed hard. Repeating the experiment after restarting the computer resulted in the following error message, produced just before the mesh was to be imported:

Thus another 0.5 GB was required but not available. The amount of free RAM was very slightly lower than this.

So in this case, when *more* memory was added, the bake crashed with an out of memory error message, whereas in the first case, where only half of the amount of memory was available, everything looked just the way it should. This is clearly very misleading behaviour from Unity.

I'm now going to try the same bake on a machine with 16 GB RAM. Watch this channel for more news. (The case # is 451260)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    malkere likes this.
  7. slightchan

slightchan

Hey guys, I met the same problem, after reviewing the script reference, I found the right way to add NavMeshAgent at runtime, NavMesh.SamplePosition is the key, here's the sample code:

Code (csharp):
    1. GameObject go = new GameObject("Target");
    2. Vector3 sourcePostion = new Vector3( 100, 20, 100 );//The position you want to place your agent
    3. NavMeshHit closestHit;
    4. if( NavMesh.SamplePosition(  sourcePostion, out closestHit, 500, 1 ) ){
    5.   go.transform.position = closestHit.position;
    6.   go.AddComponent<NavMeshAgent>();
    7.   //TODO
    8. }
    9. else{
    10.   Debug.Log("...");
    11. }
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/NavMesh.SamplePosition.html

Hope this could help :D

8. USPowerSquadron

USPowerSquadron

I just ran across this thread when I was getting this issue. slightchan's solution fixed it. Thank You!!!

vm_unity336 likes this.
  9. castor-09

castor-09

It was best answer for my problem. I want to create Navimeshagent object.

10. nicoguerra1337

nicoguerra1337

I have a somewhat similar problem. I get the same error message, but it's when I'm spawning multiple enemies. Then the NavMeshAgent doesn't make the enemies follow the player. Later, I forgot what I did, but I don't get that message anymore. Even still, the enemy won't follow the player.

HELP PLEASE!

11. Zyxil

Zyxil

Simple hack to force GO onto the NavMesh. Place on same GO as the NavMeshAgent.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. /// <summary>
    5. /// Used to make sure the GO is on the NavMesh.
    6. /// </summary>
    7. public class NavMeshInstantiator : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     void Start()
    10.     {
    11.         NavMeshHit closestHit;
    13.         if (NavMesh.SamplePosition(gameObject.transform.position, out closestHit, 500f, NavMesh.AllAreas))
    14.             gameObject.transform.position = closestHit.position;
    15.         else
    16.             Debug.LogError("Could not find position on NavMesh!");
    17.     }
    18. }

KemonoKevin and TJeyAGames like this.
  12. Helical

Helical

Encountered the problem, Tried deleting the nav mesh object (in my case a cylinder) and then placing it again in the scene did the trick.

My theory is that some kind of Unity "Run In Editor" script which attaches agents to nav meshes is screwed up. and doesn't always work, and is run each time you place a new NavMeshAgent component in the scene hierarchy

KemonoKevin and IcyFrosty12 like this.
  13. Durins-Bane

Durins-Bane

If anyone is still having this problem it was because I was spawning my enemies to high before they could link with the navmesh. I lowered my spawns so that when they spawn the agents collider in the ground.

DDeathlonger likes this.
  14. James_0124

James_0124

I encountered the same problem. Slightchan's solution worked.

15. rindoh

rindoh

recovery method:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. agent = GetComponent<NavMeshAgent> ();
    2. if(!agent.isOnNavMesh) {
    3.     transform.position = somewhereOnmeshPosition;
    4.     agent.enabled = false;
    5.     agent.enabled = true;
    6. }

16. Nickname219

Nickname219

I fixed this bug just translate terrain into zero position

Attached Files:

hfro and Torte89 like this.
  17. QuintenOne

QuintenOne

This works if the agent is activated before the mesh itself is generated.
    Code (csharp):
    1. if(Time.time > .1f) {
    2.     GetComponent<NavMeshAgent>().enabled = true; }
    You can use any value to check, but .1f is probably enough to generate your mesh and not enough to get annoying.

neargames105 likes this.
  18. astracat111

astracat111

Remember also that you have to put at the top of your scripts guys:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine.AI;

19. malkere

malkere

I'm generating NavMeshData in runtime. Was working in 200x200 test scene. Not working in multiple 1024x1024 tiles. Even with the sample height trick, though I'm enabling the agent 2 lines before the reposition... Will try fixing call order and running smaller sections.

edit: in my case it turned out to be an agentTypeID problem. In specifically setting the agent.agentTypeID to the same ID used in the NavMeshBuildSettings everything is working fine now. The agents don't even have to be that close to the navmesh.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  20. astracat111

astracat111

This may have been my problem as well. Right now I'm using the workaround, which is to turn the navmeshagent on and off, then warp it to its own position.

21. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

I got that error while using the new navMesh workflow and the problem was that the navMeshAgent in the character had a different radius than the one in the NavMeshSurface. In my case the navMeshAgent was 0.2f radius and the navMeshSurface had 0.5f radius.

zeinokko and DigiT0L like this.
  22. QuinnWinters

QuinnWinters

I used a combo of Zyxil and rindoh's methods to get it to work on a prefab with the navmesh agent already on it. I just keep the navmesh agent disabled on the prefab and enable it after placing it on the navmesh.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NavMeshAgent agent = GetComponent ("NavMeshAgent") as NavMeshAgent;
    2. NavMeshHit closestHit;
    3. if (NavMesh.SamplePosition (transform.position, out closestHit, 100f, NavMesh.AllAreas)) {
    4.     transform.position = closestHit.position;
    5.     agent.enabled = true;
    6. }

23. DigiT0L

DigiT0L

This fixed my problem. Matching the agent with the Baked Map FYI

24. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

i had this problem. I was instantiating a prefab with a navmesh agent on a child game object. instead i instantiated the navmesh agent at runtime as its own prefab and it seems to be working now

25. zeinokko

zeinokko

This solved it for me, too. Thanks so much!! This was bugging me for months...

26. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

I am glad my tip was helpful for some of you!

kamal87635 likes this.
  27. daniel_kovacs

daniel_kovacs

Very helpful -- thank you very much!

28. Waius

Waius

the same thing happened to me but I solved it by deleting the NavMeshAgent of each of the prefabs that owned it and putting them back on, I hope this helps someone

29. Nicolas_Magno

Nicolas_Magno

It worked!!!

30. llamirande

llamirande

The main issue ive had was having the NavMeshAgent colliding with the terrain, somehow causes the issue of saying its too far away. I usually raise it up 0.001 on the y value and it works. Not sure why

31. Supershura

Supershura

Don't forget to check Agent Type, because I had "New Agent" in my Agent and changing it to Humanoid helped me.

AftimusPrime likes this.
  32. Michelangelo_

Michelangelo_

At first I made 4 different Agent type for each of the players in my game.
    I assigned the same Agent type to the different players and it has worked. It seems not working with more than one agent type...or I don't know how to use more than one XD

nailmail likes this.
  33. malkere

malkere

You would need to render a new navmesh per agent type. Not recommended. That's for when you have for example a big monster that can't fit through the same doors or something that needs a different navmesh than others.

nailmail and Michelangelo_ like this.
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

I ran into this today too, thanks to this thread for helping me find a solution. I already had my agent on the navmesh (using a SamplePoint call) but it still wasn't working, but a simple "turn it off and on again" worked:

Code (csharp):
    1. var agent = Instantiate(prefab, spawnPosition).GetComponent<NavMeshAgent>();
    2. agent.enabled = false;
    3. agent.enabled = true;
    This is really dumb, but something musn't be refreshing in the AI upon instantiation.

35. ahmedsaed2652003

ahmedsaed2652003

the problem happens when you put a collider on the agents

when spawning alot of them they push each other (due to colliders) outside the navmesh which creates the error
    in order to fix this you need to make sure that they are spawning away from each other

this is my code :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. for (int i = 0; i < gameObject.transform.childCount; i++)
    2.             {
    3.                 if (Vector3.Distance(finalPosition, gameObject.transform.GetChild(i).transform.position) > 0.5)
    4.                     //SpawnCode
    5.             }
    i this code i am looping over each agent (child of Gameobject) then i am checking if the distance between spawn position (finalPosition) and agent position is grater than 0.5

36. CasualDutchman

CasualDutchman

I stumbled upon this thread after I had some problems with the agent.
    In my case, I instantiate the agent and in the lines of code after it, I changed the position and rotation.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var enemy = Instantiate(enemyprefab);
    2. enemy.transform.position = spawnLocation.position;
    3. enemy.transform.rotation = spawnLocation.rotation;
    This however messes with how the navmeshagent is placed.
    I guess it is placed on 0, 0, 0 at the first frame and is placed to the specified position later.

I found that setting the position within the instatiate method to work.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var enemy = Instantiate(enemyprefab, spawnLocation.position, spawnLocation.rotation);
    If you want to set a parent, you can do so a line below.

This worked for me. Hopefully it helped some of you as well!

37. seseguy

seseguy

Hmm, looks strange to me, because I always spawn my navmeshagents with Instantiate(prefab, position, rotation) and this is where i get the error. You say that setting pos and rot inside instance works for you, but this is where i get that error. Heh.

38. contact_unity364

contact_unity364

I had this issue, and I had my agent dimensions set consistent with the bake dimensions, but I had created a second agent type called "animal" initially with wider dimensions to humanoid, but then I made them the same, it made no difference I could not get rid of this error message so just removed the second agent type. Solved the immediate issue but have no idea why that did not just work.

39. mateuszwallace

mateuszwallace

Hello, I had very similar issue. It happens when I tried update navMesh in runtime.
    At first few second everything was correct however after while had some crazy behaviour becuase after updating navMesh my agent freezes.
    After few days I noticed that one instantiatet object is moving far away (falling) and when hes position was "huge" its block updating navMeshSurf (I using Physics Collider for geometry). I removed this falling GameObject and everything was back to casual behaviour. So look into your scene and check if others object didnt block this functions probably because of some crazy numerical values during navMesh generation.

40. Oskadddd

Oskadddd

just found a solution, all you need to do is move your agent down so it touches the Nav Mesh

41. malkere

malkere

there are a number of different possible causes resulting in the same error

42. TextusGames

TextusGames

My issue happend than GameObject with NavimeshAgent was instantiated.
    Keeping NavimeshAgent component disabled solved the issue.
    (it will be enabled than I need this).

43. Michael_Berna

Michael_Berna

This worked great, thank you so much for sharing slightchan! I spent forever trying to figure this error out with a spawning and AI asset I've been trying to use.

44. neargames105

neargames105

Thanks , you’ve saved my life!

45. Djelatin

Djelatin

For whoever may be wondering I have experienced this problem on my player. He just wouldn't move. Tried everything and then I figured it out. When In removed collider off of my parent obj I was left with a small capsule type of collider. It was on top of my mesh so I made my mesh invisible and moved NavMeshAgent collider thingy all the way down to terrain and It fixed it for me. I am still very new to all this, so if anyone has the same problem as me, there is your solution.

46. hworld

hworld

In my case, it's the field `NavMeshAgent.areaMask` .

I change it's value in the code. But I have misunderstood the api.

Code (CSharp):
    1. // new
    2. navMeshAgent.areaMask = 1 << NavMesh.GetAreaFromName("Walkable");  
    4. // old   this is wrong
    5. navMeshAgent.areaMask = NavMesh.GetAreaFromName("Walkable");    
    And another point is agent type.
    It must be `Humanoid`, otherwise, it does not work.
    More info maybe found in: https://answers.unity.com/questions/1358023/nav-mesh-agent-type.html

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  47. tukyo

tukyo

48. Recluse

Recluse

Yep, if you bake a NavMesh for agent type 'EnemyRobot' and try to place a humanoid agent on it, it will cause this error. You need to make sure the agent type and the NavMesh type match.

49. harsuugame

harsuugame

Cannot add menu item 'GameObject/AI/NavMesh Surface' for method 'UnityEditor.AI.NavMeshSurfaceEditor.CreateNavMeshSurface' because a menu item with the same name already exists.

not solve help me ??

50. TomGrzembke

TomGrzembke

The Agent type of my objects reset somehow and my navmesh wasn't baked for humanoid, simple rebeaking fixed it.