Search Unity

Failed Crunching Texture

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DeveloperRLA, Jul 25, 2015.

1. DeveloperRLA

DeveloperRLA

I am running into an issue where every time I try to use crunched texture format it fails and instead sets the texture format to RGBA 32bit. It seems to only be happening on my computer specifically. I have no issues with my computer at work and when I submitted a bug report I got a reply that they were not able to replicated the issue with the repro project I sent. I've tried reinstalling unity and also reinstalling it to a different drive and also different versions of unity including the latest release. All the error says is Failed crunching texture. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI(). Has anyone ran into this or have any idea what might be causing it? Thanks!

2. DeveloperRLA

DeveloperRLA

I did a test using SystemInfo.SupportsTextureFormat and it looks like my computer somehow doesnt have support for crunched textures. I'm running a windows 7 machine 2x Xeon processors with a GTX 980. My work computer has an I7 with a GTX 980 and I have had no problems using crunched on that machine. Any ideas as to why my computer is missing support for crunched texture format? The only thing different between the 2 machines are the processors. Could it somehow be the Xeons? Thanks!

3. jeff_hiebert

jeff_hiebert

I'm seeing the exact same issue. I'm running a Dual Xeon E5645 on Win 8.1 DX11.2 with a Radeon 7900 and latest drivers. SystemInfo.SupportsTextureFormat(TextureFormat.DXT5Crunched) returns FALSE.

4. jeff_hiebert

jeff_hiebert

I tried out a version of our game built on someone else's machine that reported DXT5Crunched support on my machine and it runs just fine. So my hardware does support DXT5Crunched textures, but SupportsTextureFormat returns false.

5. DeveloperRLA

DeveloperRLA

Thats interesting. I have the exact same processors. E5645s on an EVGA classified SR-2 mobo. The processors and mobo are the only difference between my home computer (where crunched fails) and my work computer( where crunched works fine). I never found any more information on it.

6. ChrisSpears

ChrisSpears

*Bump*
    Was there any resolution to this? We just got build machines setup that are running dual Xeon 5675 and everything is failing to crunch.

[16:10:17]: Updating Assets/Art/Textures/Underground/Dungeon/port_dungeon_trim_01_dirty02_d.png - GUID: 009529afc0172a843a16d5a34b0d0e95...
    [16:10:17]: crunched in 0.000001
    [16:10:17]: Failed crunching texture.

Looks like the common element is dual xeon CPUs. I'll do some more experimenting with this tomorrow but curious if anyone found a solution.

BTW, we're running on 5.2.1p4 right now.

7. tcossairt

tcossairt

We never could get past it and instead bought new Core i7 h/w to do the builds. :-/

8. ChrisSpears

ChrisSpears

We were able to work around it. Our build machines are 2 hexa core Xeon CPU per build machine. We build in VMs running in Hyper-V on the boxes. We were able to get by this issue by lowering the max number of virtual cores to 8 in Hyper-V. I'm guessing the crunch stuff has some bad thread allocation logic and with a high number of cores (24 in our case) it was exceeding some hard coded limit and crapping out. Doesn't make much sense but that is my only guess.

Sadly, lowering the cores is not a big performance drop since so 95% of the build process is single threaded. :( Sure wish Unity would fix that but we're back in business currently.

9. Spi

Spi

Same here, Failed crunching textures of 8192x4096 px using Intel Xeon E5-1620 or Intel Xeon E5645 and even on intel I7 4710 HQ on Unity 2017.3.0f2

But apparently it seems to work on 4096x2048 px textures

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017