Search Unity

Fading Alpha Not Working?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Darkmoon, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Darkmoon

Darkmoon

I have an object that I'm trying to fade out (alpha) over time. I've tried with the standard Diffuse shader, but it doesn't respect the color parameters' alpha component.

So, I tried the "Transparent/Diffuse" shader. Even though my diffuse texture has no alpha in it and the alpha component of the Color parameter is set to opaque, the object became translucent.

The cutout shader is not an option, because alpha seems to be on/off only.

My question is..

a.) am I missing an obvious way to fade the object?
    b.) is there a shader included that will render an opaque object (Diffuse + Bump) but will respect the Alpha component of the Diffuse texture if it is < 1f (255)?

Thanks in advance!

2. raviraj_vdy

raviraj_vdy

3. Darkmoon

Darkmoon

Yes, that is what I'm doing, but the since model isn't entirely convex, it seems the shader has Z-ordering issues and some bit of the model look like they are transparent.
    $Capture.JPG

The one on the left is rendered with Transparent/Diffuse and the right the standard Diffuse.

4. Darkmoon

Darkmoon

Well... I'm circumventing the problem by using the Standard shader until it's time to fade out the object, at which point i switch to the Transparent shader. I don't know if this is how it's intended to be used, but it works well enough.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes, you should definitely only use transparent shaders when you actually need transparency.

--Eric

6. raviraj_vdy

raviraj_vdy

I dont think its the model issue because it depends on the shader that you use, it should work.