Search Unity

Feedback Fade to black on wall collision with head

Discussion in 'VR' started by cursedtoast, Oct 2, 2021.

1. cursedtoast

cursedtoast

Hi,
    I've been thinking all day about how to implement a fade to black when the player steps out of bounds into a wall.

Ideally, I would like there to be an indicator for where they can step to get back in bounds. However, with a fade canvas/mesh involved, I'm not really sure how any indicator would be visible, at least with how I currently have things implemented.

So my theory for implementation is this:
    • The player steps out of bounds
    • A screen fade to black transition happens
    • A camera layer culling swap happens that shows an outline of the room and the indicator, normally on a layer invisible by the main camera.
    • The normally visible layers are set invisible until the player steps back into bounds
    I'm worried that this is overcomplicating things, however. I was hoping someone out there could provide feedback and maybe improve upon the suggestion on how to actually go about implementing it. Unfortunately, I'm not a shader guy, otherwise I feel like that would probably be an efficient way to do it.

There could also be other obvious solutions to this implementation that I'm over looking, so I would greatly appreciate feedback and ideas. The concept is widely implemented in VR games, but I haven't really seen a whole lot on the actual implementation.

Thank you!