Search Unity

Facial Recognition

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by HamzaKaizar, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HamzaKaizar

HamzaKaizar

Greetings,

This is the first time I've posted on the forums so I'm not sure if I'm right place.

Anyway, I'm new to Unity and game dev. Currently, I'm working on a game which would require facial recognition (not detection). The image of the face would have to be captured in real-time through a web camera or phone camera (which I've been able to do through WebCamTexture).

I've been looking through the forums and other places to see if I could find an API or SDK which could help me do this easily. I've learnt that OpenCV happens to be the only one (I could find) that would help me achieve this. But alas, it is paid and since I'm only just learning, I'd like to stick to free to use assets. I came across IBM Watson as well, which does have Facial Detection, but I wasn't able to use it because it seems to be geo-blocked (I'm from India)? Could be wrong though.

It'd be awesome if someone could just point me in the right direction. I'm willing to learn and try out different things and it'd be great if I could get this to work without having to buy any assets.

Thank you,
    Hamza

2. PateAalto

PateAalto

Hi Hamza!

OpenCV is certainly not "paid", as it is open source. To point you in the right direction, I would recommend you find some tutorials about using OpenCV with Unity (as you will need to call the OpenCV routines within a native plugin from your Unity C# code). I have worked with OpenCV in the past (but only with face detection, not recognition), and not with Unity, but I remember coming across such a tutorial while searching for something else.

Hope this helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.