Search Unity

Facebook has deprecated the Open Graph Objects and Stories What are alternatives?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by zero_null, Nov 22, 2017.

1. zero_null

zero_null

As I am observing from some time, Facebook has started to phase out quite allot of usable features from their Platform. The Open Graph Custom Stories (Object & Actions) Support is one of them. They even restricted usage of score Api. Which means we can't use the score API if we are not using publish_actions for something more than just score API. They also have deprecated the App Invites. My main concern is with the Open Graph Objects. As I am making a game where I need to send and receive Lives/ Gems or other In game Items. How many of the popular games are using in app gifting as the Open Graph object creation isn't possible now. The Open Graph Section on the Left of Facebook Developer console is also not available in new games. Please suggest where I can find it ? I am not talking about the Custom Open Graph, I am not even able to see the Predefined Open Graph Objects which Facebook Said that they still are supporting.

zafery likes this.
  2. zafery

zafery

I totally agree with you, forcing developers to use API's different property is not acceptable and will delete facebook API with pleasure

zero_null likes this.
  3. zero_null

zero_null

@zafery Yes, that's so lame that a thing we are working from long they just remove it without any specific reason.
    This isn't acceptable.

4. drmop

drmop

You can send items without creating the open graph objects, I use:

FB.AppRequest(message: message, to: null, filters: null, excludeIds: null, maxRecipients: null, data: data, title: title,
    callback: delegate (IAppRequestResult result)
    {
    PrintLog(">>>> SendAppRequest2");
    PrintLog(result.RawResult);
    if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(result.Error) && !result.Cancelled)
    {
    if (done_callback != null)
    done_callback(true);
    }
    else
    {
    if (done_callback != null)
    done_callback(false);
    }
    });

I send the item in the data field.

Having a little trouble with Scores API though, cannot get publish_actions anymore according to the app centre where it says "The Scores API is available only for apps that have already been granted the publish_actions permission prior to September 2017.". Cannot figure out if this means that it has been deprecated or what.

zero_null likes this.
  5. destructor465

destructor465

So what can we do now about Scores API? That was one of the easiest ways to deliver nice leaderboard to players. Now we can no longer access them and facebook didn't even bother to explain this S***.

zero_null likes this.
  6. Brathnann

Brathnann

Simple, don't use Facebook to track scores. Use a free backend service. I think Facebook score API was limited to one score, wasn't it? (never used it) which means something like Playfab should work if you need a free backend and don't plan to do more than one leaderboard.

Honestly, Facebook has it's uses, but after it killed off Parse, I wouldn't count on it for other services right now.

Unless they have something to take it's place (which is also possible), just safer to go with a different backend service.