Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Facebook Game server side operation

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by OsamaDeep, Oct 29, 2013.

1. OsamaDeep

OsamaDeep

hello,
    am planning to develop facebook game as multiplayer and want to do all operation from server side to prevent cheats. actually i dont know how i will start with it but need to know the optimal technique for this issue.
    also the server where i can get one can serve 1000 player on the same time.
    the answers will help me alot, thanks in advance.

2. Glader

Glader

If you want a 1000 players to be able to connect while preventing cheats and preforming everything server side then I'd recommend Photon Server.

Photon Server NOT Photon Cloud.

Photon Server will allow you to write a authoritative server that could potentially contain 1000 players assuming you write efficient code, use their loadbalacing feature, preform great interest management and, if Photon Server supports it, multi-thread the application where efficiency is increased.

There are some research papers on interest management that you can find on the web. Photon Server has a link to a paper on the topic. 1000 players, if in a single or even multiple instances, needs to have a decent level of interest management. Although with Photon Server it would be hard to calculate everything 100% on the server. It's best to never trust the client with any information that if altered could ruin the game for others but there is a trade-off with computationally cost and bandwidth cost for a solution. Interest management and efficiency help to reduce this.

Go read up on Photon Server, prepare to write more complex code than your actual client will contain and etc. A great understanding on how the concept of networking works is likely required. You don't necessarily need to know any low level stuff though.