Search Unity

Bug Face tracking doesn't work on Android

Discussion in 'AR' started by kravczyk, May 12, 2023.

1. kravczyk

kravczyk

Hey guys,

Since yesterday I have a problem with face tracking on Android (Samsung Galaxy S8). I created a new project using AR template, set up the basics of face tracking: default AR Face Manager , default face prefab. Camera is working, but face prefab doesn't spawn and Android Logcat is full of errors (image attached). I also have another face tracking app, created a while ago, which worked previously but today it doesn't and the logs are identical. Face tracking feature works on Galaxy M51 and doesn't work on another Galaxy S8 (I don't have physical access to neither of them). What can be the cause of this sudden malfunction on this particular phone model? There was no system nor Google AR Services update.
    Clipboard - May 12, 2023 1_26 PM.png

2. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

makaka-org likes this.
  3. kravczyk

kravczyk

Yes, exactly the same issue. Face tracking also doesn't work on my phone with native AR Core sample app, so it turns out it's not the problem on Unity side. I discovered that it yet has to do with Google Play Services for AR, after downgrade to previous version (from 1.37.231000423 to 1.36.2303904) apps work correctly. I submitted a bug on Google issue tracker https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/282790627
    I hope they'll restore face tracking support for Galaxy S8 in the next release of Services for AR.