Search Unity

Question face capture without iphone possible?

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by Grix, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Grix

Grix

I am a noob interested in recording high quality facial expressions with mocap, and blendshapes in Unity using the Live Capture package seems perfect. However this package seems to only support apple's truedepth cameras and so you need an iphone to capture the face. I don't have an iphone, though, so I was wondering if there are any similar methods that support other 3D cameras instead? I have access to an Intel Realsense, for example.

I've searched and I only find methods in research papers without any ready-made unity integration, or products that produce quite janky-looking animations in demo videos. For my game idea to work the animations need to look quite good. So is buying an iphone for this purpose alone my only choice?

2. akent99

akent99

You might like to check out Suvidriel's Android app. I have not used it myself, but you can learn more in this video.

Nobody has probably integrated it with Live Capture in Unity yet, but there are other approaches that might be possible from the VTuber community. (I have used EVMC4U with VSeeFace and EasyMotionRecorder to create clips before - I have not checked if the Android app supports VMC (Virtual motion Capture) as well.