Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Face Capture Jaw Parameter

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by PhineusM, Mar 21, 2022.

1. PhineusM

PhineusM

Hello,
    I'm trying to map the "Face Blend Shapes" of the "Face Actor" to a custom Character with different Face Blend Shapes (its a Character from Reallusion Actor Core). I use the Face Mapper for that. The biggest Problem is the "Jaw Open" Shape, because I would have to change the jaw-bone-rotation to get a good result/ an open mouth. The Face Mapper doesnt seem to offer the possibility to drive bone rotations in the character-rig but only blend shapes in a skinned mesh renderer. OK, so I'm trying to to it with a custom script. for that I try to get the current value of the "jaw open" paramter in the face-actor-component and map it to the bone rotation. Could you give me a hint, how to access(read) that paramenter in runtime in a script (so I can use it to drive for example the bone rotation)?
    Thank you very much

akent99 likes this.
  2. ScottSewellUnity

ScottSewellUnity

Unity Technologies

Hey!

We don't expose the face pose directly, it is intended to be accessed though a FaceMapper implementation. That said, we should make it possible to inherit from the DefaultFaceMapper for quick stuff like this, as implementing one from scratch is a fair bit of work.

In the mean time, reflection can be used as a work around. Here is an example:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    2. public class JawFromBlendShape : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    4.     FaceActor m_Actor;
    5.     PropertyInfo m_GetBlendShapes;
    7.     void OnEnable()
    8.     {
    9.         m_Actor = GetComponentInParent<FaceActor>();
    10.         m_GetBlendShapes = typeof(FaceActor).GetProperty("BlendShapes", BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic);
    11.     }
    13.     void LateUpdate()
    14.     {
    15.         if (m_GetBlendShapes != null)
    16.         {
    17.             var pose = (FaceBlendShapePose)m_GetBlendShapes.GetValue(m_Actor);
    19.             // Use pose.JawOpen here...
    20.         }
    21.     }
    22. }
    You can modify that script to use set a bone rotation from the pose in LateUpdate.
    I hope this helps!

3. PhineusM

PhineusM

Thank you, that works!