Search Unity

[Face Capture] Face Capture app cannot access network on Chinese iOS Device

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by fengbo3, Dec 9, 2021.

1. fengbo3

fengbo3

I created a new Unity project, installed the Live Capture package, configed the Windows Firewall, started the Live Capture Server.

The Unity Virtual Camera app CAN connect to server successfully. But Unity Face Capture app can't.

This may caused by an iOS feature only exist on iOS Devices sold in China, which is WLAN & Cellular access permission setting per app. Every app needs internet access will popup a permission request mesaage box on startup (similar with camera permission request).

Unity Face Capture app doesn't popup this mesaage box, but Unity Virtual Camera app does.

The settings for the two apps are also have some difference. Notice that there is no WLAN Data option for Unity Face Capture.
    20211209163846.jpg 20211209163840.jpg

Tried to reinstall Unity Face Capture app from App Store. Not working.

mushroom0417 likes this.
  2. mushroom0417

mushroom0417

I face this situation too.
    I make everything up-to-date.
    Tried on both windows and macos.
    Had followed all the steps shown on the document.
    But still cannot connect.

3. lalefi

lalefi

Hi, I have the same problem too and I haven't found a solution.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  4. Tiaotiao33

Tiaotiao33

Yes, I also have this problem. I thought it was my network problem. But the application of my Virtual Camera can be connected normally.Only Face Capture has the problem of connection failure.

5. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

This may be a bug on our side. The team is investigating.

6. fengbo3

fengbo3

I tryied to compile the deprecated project facial-ar-remote, which is the predecessor of Unity Face Capture app I guess.

It has the same problem. And I fixed it by starting a HTTP request with UnityWebRequest on Client.Start()

Hope following information may helps:
    • WLAN access permission message box will popup when iOS networking APIs first time called (which UnityWebRequest calls internally).
    • If an app only use socket for networking, the message box won't appear. A redundant call for high level iOS networking API is needed to trigger the WLAN access permission request.

7. fengbo3

fengbo3

If there is any fixed version of Unity Face Capture on the TestFlight, I'd be gald to help testing if you guys need. ;)

8. guillaumelevass

guillaumelevass

Unity Technologies

Hi! I'm on the team working on the Unity Face Capture app. Thank you for reporting the issue, we are looking into it. Hopefully, we should be able to find someone at Unity with a device where we can reproduce it. If not, we might take up your offer. :)

9. Joshuagogogo

Joshuagogogo

I have the same problem:(:(:(
    Have this bug ever fixed? It seems the Face Capture App have not updated for 2 month.
    If you have TestFlight version plz tell me...

10. Joshuagogogo

Joshuagogogo

By the way, has anyone know some other tech for unity face capture?

11. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

We’re very sorry for the problem. A fix for this issue is code complete, but may still require time to go through QA and be launched in the App Store. We try not to give exact dates on upcoming releases, since we can never be certain, but our expectation is that we’re now close. We’ll update again when we have more certain information.

12. markbeiline

markbeiline

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,
    We appreciate you reporting this issue. We’ve just released a new version of Face Capture on Apple’s App Store which addresses this issue. Note that it requires version 1.1.0+ of the LiveCapture package. Please try it out and report back if you are still experiencing this issue.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    fengbo3 and marc_tanenbaum like this.
  13. Landinggame

Landinggame

Hi
    I've downloaded the new version of the Face Capture on my Iphone, and my Live Capture version is 1.1.0. But it still says couldn't connect to the server, Could u help to fix this problem please?

14. AlfanceKX

AlfanceKX

Unity Technologies

Hi, @Landinggame @Joshuagogogo @fengbo3 @mushroom0417 @lalefi @Tiaotiao33
    For anyone who is still experiencing the problem, the team is exploring to see if we can have a live troubleshooting session with people who are still experiencing the issue. Can you let us know your setup and specifications?

Your iphone model:
    IOS version:
    Network Provider:
    Face capture Unity package version:
    Face Capture App version:
    Is the iOS device running the Face Capture app connected to a network that can reach unity3d.com?

15. jeffsarge

jeffsarge

iPhone XR ( but will test a 13 later this week)
    iOS 15.5
    Optimum Cable
    Unity Package 2.01
    App version 1.1.1
    The Capture App cannot connect either automatically or manually with the IP typed in.

16. AlfanceKX

AlfanceKX

Unity Technologies

Hi Jeffsarge, are you experiencing the same problem with "WLAN & Cellular access permission setting"? or just being unable to connect the app client to the Editor server?
    To double-check, can I ask if you are able to connect your virtual camera? your phone and editor are under the same private(win) network? VPNs are disabled? If you are using windows and the firewall is configured? details under network requirement
    If you are experiencing the same problem, can we schedule a troubleshooting session with you to go over the setup and see if we can pinpoint the problem?

17. TakuyaBabuya

TakuyaBabuya

piggy backing this thread as I have the same problem. Everything works on my side, IPhone 11, Unity LTS 2021, my client is using a IPhone 13 mini and on their side the app detects the desktop but could not connect to it.
    I'm available anytime for a troubleshooting session just hit me up with a zoom call link or anything you prefer.

18. AlfanceKX

AlfanceKX

Unity Technologies

Hi, for anyone who is not located in China or does not have the WLAN permission, we suspect you are experiencing a different problem with the firewall that blocks you from connecting the app and unity editor.

If you are a Windows user, please follow the instructions below to see if the problem is fixed:
    1. Go to your Windows Control Panel.
    2. In the Control Panel, go to System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall.
    3. In the left menu, select Advanced Settings.
    4. In the left menu, select Inbound Rules.
    5. Reorder the list by name, and scroll to the place where you see “Unity
    6. You should see the following Unity rules:
      1. Unity (Version #) Live Capture
      2. Unity (Version #) Editor
      3. unity.exe
    Frame d772.png
    7. If any of the rules has a , right-click on it and select Properties.
    8. Under the General tab, Action section, select Allow the connection and then click “Apply” Frame 773.png

9. Do this all for needed Unity.exe, Editor and Package rules.
    10. Try connecting the companion app to the server. It should work now.

PS: Please be sure that you are using a Private Network. and the network you are connected to is the same for the iPhone and the computer. To identify and set up the network, Follow the instructions HERE under Private Wi-Fi network setup.

marc_tanenbaum and KyryloKuzyk like this.
  19. BEENZY

BEENZY

Have followed this to the letter, but the iPhone app still cannot connect. Could we schedule a chat so I can get this working please?

20. AlfanceKX

AlfanceKX

Unity Technologies

Hi Beenzy, I just started a conversation with you

21. najminoorzairul

najminoorzairul

I'm having the same issue regarding the live capture and have gone through all the steps, still not working, can someone help me with this work please?

22. Nicholauswyman

Nicholauswyman

I've encountered this situation as well. I've ensured that everything is up-to-date, attempted the process on both Windows and macOS, meticulously followed all the steps outlined in the document, but regrettably, I'm still unable to establish a connection.