Search Unity

1. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Face Capture accuracy with lips

Discussion in 'AR' started by godbeygames, Sep 20, 2021.

1. godbeygames

godbeygames

Hi,

I've been trying out the new Unity Face Capture app and it's pretty impressive. There is however one thing I keep running into. It seems on the Face Visualizer it's hard to get the lips to close even though I am closing my lips during mocap. This makes the character being driven by the mocap have their mouth slightly open most of the time. I thought it might be an issue with shadowing from my upper lip so I tried adding more light in the room, but the lips still don't register as being closed most of the time. I also tried adjusting my phone at different angles and it doesn't seem to help much. Does anyone know if this is just a limitation with face capture in general that needs to be cleaned up later or if Unity could fine-tune the app for better accuracy?

2. godbeygames

godbeygames

After doing some research it seems like this is a common issue not exclusive to Unity. In this video it shows how to correct the problem of the lips not closing in Unreal Engine 4:

All he seems to be doing is added additional offset to the blendshapes on the mouth. Does anyone know of a way to do this in Unity? I've tried to edit the DefaultFaceMapper script trying to add an offset to the blendshapes but it always gets reverted with this warning:
    The package cache was invalidated and rebuilt because the following immutable asset(s) were unexpectedly altered:
    Packages/com.unity.live-capture/Runtime/ARKitFaceCapture/DefaultMapper/DefaultFaceMapper.cs

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help with this.

unityunity