Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Question Face Capture accuracy - lips not closing

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by godbeygames, Sep 22, 2021.

1. godbeygames

godbeygames

Hi,

I've been trying out the new Unity Face Capture app and it's pretty impressive. There is however one thing I keep running into. It seems it's hard to get the lips to close even though I am closing my lips during mocap. This makes the character being driven by the mocap have their mouth slightly open most of the time. After doing some research it seems like this is a common issue not exclusive to Unity. In this video it shows how to correct the problem of the lips not closing in Unreal Engine 4:

All he seems to be doing is added additional offset to the blendshapes on the mouth. Does anyone know of a way to do this in Unity?

2. ScottSewellUnity

ScottSewellUnity

Unity Technologies

@godbeygames
    Currently, the way to resolve this issue would be to adjust the Face Mapper asset settings. Here is a summary of the steps:
    1. Open the Face Mapper asset you are using for the character in the Inspector window.
    2. Find the blend shape mappings for the lips and/or the jaw.
    3. Clear the Evaluator Preset field for the mappings if any are assigned.
    4. Set the Type to Simple.
    5. Adjust the Offset value for the mappings until the rest pose looks correct.
    In the future, we plan on having a calibration step done in the client app that should be able to automate this process.

godbeygames likes this.
  3. godbeygames

godbeygames

Works great, thanks!