Search Unity

f.lux - Use computers at night? Get this. Now.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by windexglow, Jan 3, 2012.

1. windexglow

windexglow

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Free, simple, and clean. It even has an button that disables it for an hour.
    Been using this for 3~ weeks now, eyes don't feel strained at night and even sleeping is easier. I turned it off temporarily and it feels like turning on the lights after you wake up.

2. tertle

tertle

Been using this for a while. Highly recommended. It'll look weird when you first use it (especially if you first turn install it at night, I suggest installing it during the day) but I can't really not use it anymore. I prefer 1hour change time, but some people love the 20s so personal preference I guess.

3. Jessy

Jessy

Shouldn't you just use a colorimeter?

4. taumel

taumel

I somehow like the idea but how are you supposed to work with colours in a reasonable way at certain daytimes?

5. stereosound

stereosound

There is an option "Disable for an hour (doing color sensitive work)" when you click on it in your taskbar to disable temporarily -- I just disabled it here to see if the option worked (2:30am here) and I don't know how I used to live without this program. Highly recommended.

6. taumel

taumel

That's quite static, turning it on/off by hotkey and options in the menu plus some configureable timespan would make more sense.

7. Farfarer

Farfarer

Yeah, I do love this program.

For lighting/texturing it's not that useful (and it's a serious shock to the eyeballs when you disable it temporarily to do a bit of Photoshopping) but it's brilliant for coding and general usage.

8. taumel

taumel

I tried different locations and i didn't get the impression that it simulates the lightning according to relevant factors for the relationship between earth and sun properly, it also could make sense taking the current weather condition into account. So beside of adding some temperature adjusting the brightness via F1/2 works just as fine.

9. n0mad

n0mad

That's a simple, but yet brilliant idea. Thank you Windexglow.

edit : Taking that comment back. I think I misunderstood the concept, and thought it was just decreasing the screen luminosity/contrast cleverly. But that huge red filter is annoying as hell :s
    Still a good idea for people who don't care about colors at all.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  10. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

Damn this is a cool app!

5 minutes with it on here, and I already felt the strain when I turned it off.

The Lat/Lon scheme for determining sunset/rise is just brilliant.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

11. tertle

tertle

Give it 2 days, you won't even notice it and you're eyes will thank you.

Obviously if you're doing colour work you'd want to turn it off.

12. TehWut

TehWut

Cool, might try it out!

13. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I downloaded this a few hours ago and I'm already becoming accustomed to it. It's a nice change.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

pretty useless for me for art reasons plus i need the daylight glare from my monitor to save on coffee bills.

15. LordJulian

LordJulian

Certainly something to be considered.

But I'd prefer to get hypnotized with my monitor screen. :)