Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

EZ Replay Manager

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by softrare, Jun 12, 2011.

1. andre-ivankio

andre-ivankio

Very impressive how versatile it is seeming to be. I did quite a kludge to deal with NPCs customization and yet it was very easy to get their animation packed together with all dynamic objects on scene working. Without root transform by some reason. Probably around the hierarchy and instantiation mess.

In some separate scene I saw that the script does deal with animations that move the root, but after a while the EZReplayManager prefab broke for the whole project. I tried reimporting, deleting it whole and reimporting, but I keep getting the error bellow 4 times while the EZReplayManager prefab inspector lost the part after the option "Precache GameObjects".

EZReplayManager.jpg

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    EZReplayManagerEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/EZReplayManager/Editor/EZReplayManagerEditor.cs:84)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean forceDirty, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect, Boolean eyeDropperDirty) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1089)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()​

Any ideas? Is this a bug? I'm really excited to implement it, I just need to fix this.

EDIT: Restarting Unity itself did restore it. But I'm concerned if it will break something further ahead, so I'll leave the question if it is something I should take care.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. softrare

softrare

Hi! No, never seen this. Which version of Unity are you using? Glad restarting fixed the error!

3. andre-ivankio

andre-ivankio

Unity 4.6.0b17. I'm also using the plugins Antares Universe and Lux. Maybe it happens because of some interaction with them. It's happening on a session after a while even when it is the first time I inspect the prefab.

EDIT:
    Ah no, it's not related to any plugin. I could isolate the problem on an empty project just with EZReplayManager.

It happens when you click the prefab source EZReplayManager on the project list (not scene hierarchy) in order to see it on the inspector when the current scene does not have yet an EZReplayManager instance.
    If you inspect the source and the current scene has an instance of it, it will behave normally.
    If you inspect an instance on the scene it will behave normally.
    It's good to have it isolated to an unnecessary action.​

So about it's functionality... Will it be possible to set EZRecorderManager to keep recording on a circular buffer? The intend is to replay the few moments preceding a goal, which start is unpredictable.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  4. softrare

softrare

Hi! Thanks for the detailed description of the bug.

At the moment such a buffer feature is not implemented but it is possible that it will be in the future. Also its possible to record the whole game, then, when a goal is shot cut away the frames you don't need. The frames are actually objects of the class SavedState and are being saved in a dictionary in objects of class Object2PropertiesMapping. Hope this helps!

5. garoca

garoca

We use good tools well. Thank you.
    but I got one problem. When you save the object does not play the audio source.
    Best regards

6. softrare

softrare

Hi! I did not completely understand the situation in which this happens. Can you elaborate?

Generally, EZR does not have any features in-built to save or playback sound.

7. nachobeard

nachobeard

hello

I'm using 2dtoolkit for a 2d sidescrolling game, will this also work?
    (ie. will all the sprite animations be played back in the replay as expected?)

thanks.

8. softrare

softrare

Hi! Very sorry for late answer.

I don't think 2d sprite animation will work out of the box. But EZR is also a replaying framework so I am absolutely convinced it can be made to work. Look in the documentation for extending EZR. Hope this helps!

9. nachobeard

nachobeard

ok, thanks!

10. radiantboy

radiantboy

Hi, I just bought this, looks awesome. Having a couple of problems though, mostly due to the complexity of my player I think. I have a game using UFPS and Adventure Creator, when I record and run around it appears to work. Then I stop and play and it crashes with:

Material doesn't have a color property '_TintColor'
    UnityEngine.Material:GetColor(String)
    vp_MuzzleFlash:Awake() (at Assets/UFPS/Base/Scripts/Effects/vp_MuzzleFlash.cs:61)
    UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(Object)
    Object2PropertiesMapping:prepareObjectForReplay() (at Assets/EZReplayManager/extension/scripts/classes/Object2PropertiesMapping.cs:144)
    EZReplayManager:switchModeTo(ViewMode) (at Assets/EZReplayManager/extension/scripts/classes/EZReplayManager.cs:520)
    EZReplayManager:play(Int32, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/EZReplayManager/extension/scripts/classes/EZReplayManager.cs:659)
    EZReplayManager:play(Int32) (at Assets/EZReplayManager/extension/scripts/classes/EZReplayManager.cs:645)
    Console:CatchCommand(String) (at Assets/IMPORTEDASSETS/Console/Scripts/Console.cs:1241)
    Console:SendCommand() (at Assets/IMPORTEDASSETS/Console/Scripts/Console.cs:636)
    Console:ConsoleWindow() (at Assets/IMPORTEDASSETS/Console/Scripts/Console.cs:568)
    Console:OnGUI() (at Assets/IMPORTEDASSETS/Console/Scripts/Console.cs:536)

AND THEN (its as if the clone has lost something?)

Error (go_HeroHDWeapons_X_AC(Clone) (vp_FPController)) Controller has no such state: 'Run'.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    vp_FPController:CalculateMaxSpeed(String, Single) (at Assets/UFPS/Base/Scripts/Gameplay/Player/Local/vp_FPController.cs:1162)
    vp_BodyAnimator:InitMaxSpeeds() (at Assets/UFPS/Base/Scripts/Gameplay/Player/vp_BodyAnimator.cs:806)
    vp_BodyAnimator:Awake() (at Assets/UFPS/Base/Scripts/Gameplay/Player/vp_BodyAnimator.cs:308)
    vp_FPBodyAnimator:Awake() (at Assets/UFPS/Base/Scripts/Gameplay/Player/Local/vp_FPBodyAnimator.cs:130)
    Object2PropertiesMapping:prepareObjectForReplay() (at Assets/EZReplayManager/extension/scripts/classes/Object2PropertiesMapping.cs:144)
    EZReplayManager:switchModeTo(ViewMode) (at Assets/EZReplayManager/extension/scripts/classes/EZReplayManager.cs:520)
    EZReplayManager:play(Int32, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/EZReplayManager/extension/scripts/classes/EZReplayManager.cs:659)
    EZReplayManager:play(Int32) (at Assets/EZReplayManager/extension/scripts/classes/EZReplayManager.cs:645)
    Console:CatchCommand(String) (at Assets/IMPORTEDASSETS/Console/Scripts/Console.cs:1241)
    Console:ConsoleWindow() (at Assets/IMPORTEDASSETS/Console/Scripts/Console.cs:568)

Same for crouch

Error (go_HeroHDWeapons_X_AC(Clone) (vp_FPController)) Controller has no such state: 'Crouch'.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    vp_FPController:CalculateMaxSpeed(String, Single) (at Assets/UFPS/Base/Scripts/Gameplay/Player/Local/vp_FPController.cs:1162)
    vp_BodyAnimator:InitMaxSpeeds() (at Assets/UFPS/Base/Scripts/Gameplay/Player/vp_BodyAnimator.cs:807)
    vp_BodyAnimator:Awake() (at Assets/UFPS/Base/Scripts/Gameplay/Player/vp_BodyAnimator.cs:308)
    vp_FPBodyAnimator:Awake() (at Assets/UFPS/Base/Scripts/Gameplay/Player/Local/vp_FPBodyAnimator.cs:130)

Not sure about this

Object2PropertiesMapping.prepareObjectForReplay () (at Assets/EZReplayManager/extension/scripts/classes/Object2PropertiesMapping.cs:184)
    EZReplayManager.switchModeTo (ViewMode newMode) (at Assets/EZReplayManager/extension/scripts/classes/EZReplayManager.cs:520)
    EZReplayManager.play (Int32 speed, Boolean playImmediately, Boolean backwards, Boolean exitOnFinished) (at Assets/EZReplayManager/extension/scripts/classes/EZReplayManager.cs:659)
    EZReplayManager.play (Int32 speed) (at Assets/EZReplayManager/extension/scripts/classes/EZReplayManager.cs:645)
    Console.CatchCommand (System.String command) (at Assets/IMPORTEDASSETS/Console/Scripts/Console.cs:1241)
    Console.SendCommand () (at Assets/IMPORTEDASSETS/Console/Scripts/Console.cs:636)
    Console.ConsoleWindow () (at Assets/IMPORTEDASSETS/Console/Scripts/Console.cs:568)
    Console.OnGUI () (at Assets/IMPORTEDASSETS/Console/Scripts/Console.cs:536)

And something else is still null

vp_FPBodyAnimator.UpdatePosition () (at Assets/UFPS/Base/Scripts/Gameplay/Player/Local/vp_FPBodyAnimator.cs:280)
    vp_BodyAnimator.LateUpdate () (at Assets/UFPS/Base/Scripts/Gameplay/Player/vp_BodyAnimator.cs:331)
    vp_FPBodyAnimator.LateUpdate () (at Assets/UFPS/Base/Scripts/Gameplay/Player/Local/vp_FPBodyAnimator.cs:176)

At this line:
    Transform.position = FPController.SmoothPosition + (FPController.SkinWidth * Vector3.down);

Any thoughts? I do see the player appear (without textures) and land and stand there but he doesnt move around, just stands there idling.

EDIT: by removing the code which kills things on the clone (inside Object2PropertiesMapping, why does it kill things on the clone anyway?) it is working better, but for some reason I am still getting the error in vp_FPBodyAnimator, after some debugging I found that "FPController" object inside the cloned of my player is now null, where it shouldnt be, just trying to work out why this has happened and how to fix.

Gaz.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  11. softrare

softrare

Thanks for your message, I answered your email.

12. dmytroc

dmytroc

Hi,

Our game is in Unity 4.3.4, so I've only been able to test EZ Replay Manager in Unity 5. The original scene: Untitled_anim.png . Playing a replay: Untitled_replay.png . Does EZ Replay Manager work with humanoid Mecanim animations?
    Also will it be possible to backport EZ Replay Manager to Unity 4.3 if we choose to purchase it?

Thank you.

13. softrare

softrare

Hi! Thanks for your message.

EZ Replay Manager is up until this moment only officially supported under Unity 4.x . I tried it in Unity 5 though and it worked fine. It seems the issue you are having is not due to Unity versions or animation techniques (Mecanim is also supported). Its difficult to determine what specifically goes wrong in your scene, but if you send it to me (or a representation of it reproducing the problem) I'd have a look at it.

14. Angelo-Granata

Angelo-Granata

Greetings Softrare,

I was testing and reading the "readme.txt" from the free version. Just to be clear, it is really possible to save the replay in in a folder in the hard disk an then another time take it from the folder and play it in the full version? I have seen that it is possible to record something else besides the position,rotation and particles. It is possible to record the change of texture from a material by code? Instantiate objects are easy to record, but it is easy as well for Destroyed objects?

Thank you for your attention.

15. softrare

softrare

Yes, it is possible to save replays to hard disk. Also it is possible to record objects which later druing the gameplay are being destroyed. But make no mistake, you have to realize what a replay really is: it is a collection of "frames" and pieces information about these frames. The gameobjects which are being displayed during replay are instantiated when you hit "replay". In the replay references to the real gameobjects are being saved, so you can only replay an eariler recorded file within the same Unity project, because it needs all the resources from the prefabs from your project.

Angelo-Granata likes this.
  16. softrare

softrare

Oh, and about changing textures: Yes that is possible, but you have to adjust the SavedState.cs file accordingly.

17. Angelo-Granata

Angelo-Granata

Thank you very much for your replay. I forgot to ask about the audio. Does it record the audio in the full version?

18. softrare

softrare

Hi! It does not save sound out of the box. You can fairly easily build that in by saving in what frame a track begins in example, but then it does not work reliably when you change the replay speed or the replay direction. For that you will have to do a greater effort.

19. acjaks

acjaks

Hello, I purchased EZ manager a while back but sadly as of yet I've not used it. However I'm about to begin making a type of racing game that pits the player up against his or someone's else's previous best attempt and i'm wondering if i'm able to use EZ manager to discreetly do this? Many Thanks

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  20. softrare

softrare

Hi! Thanks for purchasing! Yes, this type of application is very much possible with EZ Replay Manager. However you will probably have to change code in a few places, but not too much ;)

21. Tetheta

Tetheta

Just checking to make sure the PDF is updated -- you don't have a way to currently save replay files for the iPhone correct?

22. softrare

softrare

Hi! Thanks for your message! Indeed in the meantime saving files became available for iOS. Thanks for hinting me at that outdated section in the PDF!

23. pKallv

pKallv

Sorry if this is in the thread but could you please lay out the difference between the free and paid version?

24. softrare

softrare

Hi! Thanks for your message. The paid version does not have any restrictions at all while the free version does not have source code enclosed and is limited to 150 frames per recording.

25. pKallv

pKallv

ok thanks.

26. softrare

softrare

In just a few hours EZ Replay Manager will be on official 24h sale for just half the normal price! Stay tuned!

OnePxl likes this.
  27. softrare

softrare

28. softrare

softrare

Try the free-limited version: http://u3d.as/30Z If you need help, just contact us, together we can make it work also with your project, 100%!

29. softrare

softrare

EZ Replay Manager 50% off sale goes on for just a few more hours: http://u3d.as/1QY 40$ instead of 80$ .

30. AdamAz

AdamAz

Hi, are you going to troubleshoot this issue?
    I was using an older version(from about 2 months ago) of the software and everything was working fine. After migrating to the latest version I get the same effect. From what I can tell it is dependent on the amount and size of objects that should be recorded. With one element with approximately 15 child nodes after replaying the record 3 out of 4 are completely messed up in a similar manner to the ones from the quoted message.

Some data:
    I am using unity 5.0.3p3 personal (are you planning to support it ?)
    I set In the EZReplayManager I set Precache GameObjects and CompressSaves to true
    I have 4 objects with the Object2REcord script on them - 3 get messed up badly the
    I perform little to no actions on my scene before I recorded and after that replayed my scene
    The objects that I am tracking are not animated, just imported fbx with some additional scripts

None of these errors appeared in the previous version of the software.
    I can not send you my scene for testing :(

31. softrare

softrare

So you say, the previous version was not having the issue at all? No matter how many objects and children you used? Do you have a backup of when it worked? Actually the only things new in the current version are solving some compilation errors for Unity 5 (yes, EZR fully supports v5) and a bugfix that prevented children being correctly replayed if the parent objects were not recorded themselves. That kind of situation should always better be avoided, but I fixed it for situations where it couldn't be prevented.

First possible fix, the most easy one, is for problems which have nothing to do with versions and stuff: If you use precaching it sometimes occurs that conflicts arise between cached version of a prefab and updated ones. To solve just delete your Assets/Resources/EZReplayManagerAssetPrefabs folder. Start the scene again and see if that fixes it.

If it still arises please also make sure that you have EITHER put the Object2Record-Script on the objects concerned OR you have dragged-and-dropped them on the EZReplayManager-prefab (not both methods). If that is still not part of the problem please just contact me again.

32. AdamAz

AdamAz

Hi,

I am just saying that I did not encounter them in the previous version, can't say for sure that they were not there :)
    I have a backup but it's restoration is very time consuming and would rather not do that, besides that will not help me since I will (possibly; if the problems are fixed) need the full version not the old limited one.

I tried deleting the cache several times, it did not work for me.
    I added the Object2Record to the items that should be tracked and the error is still there.
    I tried drag and dropping the elements in the hierarchy onto the EZReplayManager (thus making them child objects) but then they were not tracked at all.

I tried to replicate the issue on a new scene with only one element, stripping it of all custom scripts. I noticed that all child position/rotation went mad when the first child of the root object is a disabled script, if I moved the disabled script lower in hierarchy everything works ok.

33. softrare

softrare

Hi! I find it very hard to follow what you did. It would really be helpful if you could give me some kind of testscene. In example this new scene you were testing with?

34. AdamAz

AdamAz

Hi,

Here you can find the scene that I used to recreate this issue
    https://github.com/AdamDomagalski/EZReplayManager_bug_reproduction

How to reproduce:
    Press play in unity
    Press start recording
    Press replay

You will see that a lot of the child elements are misplaced.
    As I said before to reproduce this bug I added the Object2Record script to the root element and disabled the first child element.

35. softrare

softrare

Hi. Thanks for the upload. Unfortunately the scene you provided is empty as far as I can see (Its the scene main in the root right?)

36. AdamAz

AdamAz

Hi, yes it is.
    I just cloned the repo again on on my windows 8.1 with Unity 5.0.0p3 and everything works fine.

A step by step to recreate the scene would be to
    Create new scene
    import : https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7977
    drag onto the scene EZReplayManager prefab
    drag the Panzer_II_Ausf_F prefab (not the static one)
    Add Object2Record to the root element of the Panzer prefab and apply
    deactivate the first child element of the panzer (2cm_kwk38)

Here are two screens of how the end result should look like.
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...6135025315598367970&oid=100445389996053324182

37. softrare

softrare

I just saw, the reason that there were errors in the code in the repo was the fact that serialization method was not set to "Force Text". Could you set it in Edit->Project Settings->Editor->Asset Serialization and commit again?

38. twobob

twobob

Just a small note: that some assets (randomly and in all projects not just this one) when "force-re-serialized" in that way can cause text to be turned into long strings of numerical junk.

It probably won't happen but worthy of note.
    Perhaps UT will get this sorted, and I haven't had it happen to me with 5.0.1f1 but, word to the wise and all that.

39. softrare

softrare

Hi twobob, thanks for your comment. I am using SVN in combination with Unity since only recently myself and what you describe did not happen to me yet. But good to know anyway, that something like that can theoretically happen.

40. twobob

twobob

Aye. had it happen twice on two different projects. only upon RE-serializing.
    Always make a backup. Always.
    welcome

41. AdamAz

AdamAz

Done please try again now.

42. softrare

softrare

The solution is pretty easy

Code (CSharp):
    1. EZReplayManager.get.mark4Recording(gameObject,"",ChildIdentificationMode.IDENTIFY_BY_NAME);
    Its a feature I introduced some time ago.

43. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

I bought the EZReplaymanager and it's not being quite so EZ to me :( I'm having some weird problems:

The biggest problem is in my characters eyes, which are parented to a joint in his body. This is how it looks in the hierarchy of the character:

This is how it looks in the hierarchy of the EZReplayManager clone:

It also unhides the one single eye, which should be for a different character.

Talking about different characters, I assign different materials for each player when the game starts, the EZReplayManager clones however ignore those material changes and make its clones all the original material :(

And, I couldn't figure out how to make it also replay the praticles. In the manual it did mention that by default it was preconfigured to save position, rotation and if the game object emits a particle, but that didn't seem to be the case for my particles I guess.

So... any ideas how I can better use this? D:

44. softrare

softrare

How do you mark the gameobject for recording? In a script or via drag and drop on the EZ Replay Manager prefab?

Legacy particles are being recorded automatically, I guess you are using Shuriken? A customer of mine some time ago gave a short description how to record that too, although I have not tried it yet:

"I read about particles not being fully supported. Not true. There is a basic "particle on off" record feature, so yes it is true. But if you are looking for the full "matrix effect" where particles freeze and can be scrubbed in realtime, that IS ALSO POSSIBLE. But you have to do some coding, and you must use the Shiruken particle system. The secret is to tell your particle systems to have a specific random seed, and then simulate them manually ( particleSystem.Simulate(t); )"

Material changes are not being recorded by default, so you have to extend the SavedState.cs file for that.

45. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

I'm marking them with the Object 2 Record script :eek:

Hm, I see, I'm using Shuriken indeed :( I don't care too much about the matrix effect, I just wanted the particles to appear when they're supposed to appear.

Will check the SavedState.cs file to try and figure out how to make it account for the material changes... Maybe I can code a special script to spawn my particles when needed and get it into the cloned prefabs.

Now about the weirdness going on with the parented eyes... any ideas? D:

46. AdamAz

AdamAz

Hi, this looks like the same problem I had only on a smaller scale. Check if your first child object is not disabled

when my was this happened:

My solution was to simply move the child lower in hierarchy.

Softrares solution is posted a few post up, look for (I did not test it):

47. softrare

softrare

EZ Replay Manager is on custom 60 off sale RIGHT NOW (for a limited time only). Get your copy! http://u3d.as/1QY

48. akhil96

akhil96

is there a feature to record the game from the scripts at runtime and replay it and continue.

i mean to record a part of game,pause the game,show the replay and again continue the game as it was before the replay.

49. softrare

softrare

Hi! Thanks for your message. Yes, this is a built-in feature. When you exit replay-mode everything will be put back in position as it was before the replay-mode was started.

50. akhil96

akhil96

is there a continuous recording feature with auto deleting past data as some times we donot know to record it before like a car crash,where we cannot predict a crash before and after the crash we need to replay it,or else is there any other method to do such things.

and also can recording be done with other cameras not with default camera.

also is there a feature to auto delete the replay data if not used.

does it work smoothly on low end mobiles also.

unityunity