Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Extremely long scene loading time?

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by kazyllis, Sep 14, 2017.

1. kazyllis

kazyllis

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of wrapping up my first Daydream game and I'm really close (at least it feels like it). In trying to test on my phone, the game takes a very long time to load. After the "Made with Unity" splash screen the view goes black for about 60 seconds before the scene shows up.

This is probably a result of a really large scene, which I am using because I made a sort of "sandbox" city type of game (think a very simple, watered down GTA style game). I thought about using asset bundles, but I'm not really sure it will even help very much in my case.

I followed the instructions here, which greatly increased performance during gameplay (but not load time):
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/best-practice-project-settings-for-daydream.438598/

My real questions are:
    1. Is there something simple that I might be able to check, which might help me find out why it takes a long time or easily improve the loading time?
    2. Is there a way to show a loading splash of my own while it loads the scene (an instruction image, or set of instruction images would be ideal)?

2. reedny

reedny

Might be easier to create a small first scene, display some intro info, tips, and pics, and then load your main scene async.

3. kazyllis

kazyllis

Nice! Thanks @reedny.

Do you have any resources or instructions on how to load another scene asynchronously?

4. reedny

reedny

tinalexanderic likes this.
  5. kenvink

kenvink

We are having same issue here.
    you can try to narrow it down by testing the scene with/without baked light data (Daydream vertex based lighting)
    Other than that, it is just about how to organize stuffs in the scene to load first, then load others later....
    eg. Load small scene first for tutorial, then load bigger scene's 1st room, then load other rooms....
    Don't forget to compress assets:
    http://blog.theknightsofunity.com/wrong-import-settings-killing-unity-game-part-1/