Search Unity

Resolved Extremely intense realtime global illumination in part of my level

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by chemicalcrux, Feb 16, 2023.

1. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

Here's the "Global Illumination - Indirect" draw mode for one of my levels.

upload_2023-2-15_21-34-49.png

For some reason, this part of the level has become blindingly bright. I don't have any lights over there, and I've tried clearing and re-baking the lightmaps (not sure that's even relevant for the realtime GI, but I figured I'd give it a smack).

upload_2023-2-15_21-41-30.png

Here's a closer look of the offending area in the regular shaded draw mode. The materials aren't too weird (just some example HDRP assets, plus a transparent shader for the box under the flat panel).

Anyone seen this before? I have no idea what triggered it, but it's very persistent now that it's here!

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

It could be a NaN artifact. They usually manifest as either dark or bright texels in the lightmap. Check out the following chapter in the troubleshooting guide:
    Might also be worth checking your scene for baked emissive materials.

chemicalcrux likes this.
  3. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

Thanks! The thread looks very useful; it's nice to have names and explanations for some of the artifacts I've run into.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I got the bogus lightmaps into version control at any point, and the issue went away after some modifications to the scene. I will check the texel validity if it crops up again.

kristijonas_unity likes this.