Search Unity

Extra Window Opened on Startup + other malfunctions

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sengarden, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Sengarden

Sengarden

Hey there,
    I'm new to Unity, so maybe there's something obvious I'm missing here. When I opened up a 3D project this morning that I've been working on for a few days now, it had some errors when it tried to load up the editor. It said the UI format/configuration or something like that couldn't be loaded properly and was asking me if I wanted to go back to default settings. I said yes, and I saw all the windows go back to their original places, but it still wasn't loading properly. I tried restarting the project a few times and eventually was able to interact with the Scene view, but whenever I pressed Play, the program would crash. Reloading a few times, I've now been able to hit play without it crashing, but nothing happens. No rigidbodies are affected by physics, and I can't use any character controls. As well as everything I've so far mentioned, an extra project window pops up behind the main editor window. It's completely blank with no file name at the header except for the UI bar at the top of the screen. It lets me interact with all the drop down menus, select options, but nothing happens when I click on anything. When I go back to the main editor window, I can operate it as normal, adding game objects, adjusting components, running the play mode, etc.. When I hit play in the functioning window for the first time, the screen flashes for a second, it fails to work as I mentioned before, and the blank window behind the "functioning" editor now has a file name to match the project.

I had already intended to scrap this 3D project and rebuild it in 2D mode, so I restarted Unity and made a new 2D project. Everything loaded okay, and I can operate the play function properly, but the additional blank window is still there.

When I close this additional blank window, the entire program closes, and vice versa when closing the functional editor window. It's not exactly inhibiting the creation process, I don't think... I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a sign of something going wrong or something not being configured properly that might mess with my production process. I'm using the newest version of Unity and all my graphics drivers are up to date.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

2. egroise

egroise

Hi. I had the same problem : an empty extra window you can't close (it closes the whole project).

"Window > Layouts > Revert Factory Settings" worked for me.