Search Unity

Extra Bone on Humanoid Not Applying Rotation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by BigRookGames, Apr 16, 2019.

1. BigRookGames

BigRookGames

I have a rigged character that has an extra weapon bone on his right hand to handle weapon rotations and movements. I can't seem to get the bone to update the animations in Unity. The animation is using its own avatar (create from this model) and in the Animation tab I have set the extra weapon node to 'Use' under the 'Mask' drop down. I am using this on a character with the same bone hierarchy that also has an extra bone for the weapon with the same name and in the same place. When I play the animation on the character, the extra bone does not update any of its positional values. The rest of the animation plays fine, as expected.

Shouldn't these value be updated on the animations? Or does the animations for a humanoid character only update the bones which are native to the Unity humanoid bone hierarchy? What might be the issue causing the animation not to play for this particular bone/node?

2. joshcamas

joshcamas

This has to do with using humanoids. From what I remember, if you use the humanoid rig, then you can't have extra bones for animations. For me, I stopped using the humanoid rig for that reason.

3. BigRookGames

BigRookGames

I found out that the animation had a slightly different scale than the model I was using, once I made sure both the model and the animation had the exact same bone hierarchy (order, names, everything) the animations came through after adding the extra bone to the mask, so it seems that it does work if everything is setup.

4. joshcamas

joshcamas

Oooh really! Well, glad to hear it :) maybe I should switch back go using humanoid rigs at some point

5. bkurr

bkurr

I am going to revive this thread. I am having the same issue were the extra bones aren't animating and I checked that they are ticked in the mask and they all are. The character they are on is the character I exported from Blender so there is not scale difference issue like a previous poster had. Any newer solutions to this issue?