Search Unity

Extended tracking not working on Pixel 3 phone

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by ahwhoff, Sep 28, 2019.

1. ahwhoff

ahwhoff

I created a simple scene with a Vuforia image target, consisting of a cube attached to the Mars Astronaut image. The cube is horizontally displaced from the target, so that I can test if the cube is still displayed if the target is not in the field of view of the camera. I have enabled extended tracking by checking "Track Device Pose" in the Vuforia Configuration. I am using Unity version 2019.2.6f1 and Vuforia version 8.3.8.

When I run the app in the Unity Editor (with an attached webcam), extended tracking works fine, and I can still see the cube when the target is not in the field of view of the camera. However, when I deploy this to my Android Pixel 3 phone, extended tracking does not work - the cube immediately disappears when the target is not in view. I have put core-1.4.0.aar in the Plugins/Android folder as per the Vuforia instructions. (I have also tried later versions or core-xxx.aar, with the same problem).

If I use an older version of Unity (2018.3.10.f1) and Vuforia (8.1.10), then extended tracking works fine (on the same scene, and on the same Pixel 3 phone). Any ideas?

2. ahwhoff

ahwhoff

Ok, I think I figured this out. I had neglected to install *all* of the "Android Build Support" modules to my Unity 2019.2.6f1 installation.

Specifically, when you are in the Unity Hub, in the "Installs" section, you can "Add Modules". I had checked the module called "Android Build Support", but I now realize that there is a drop down menu that enables you to select some additional things, namely "Android SDK & NDK Tools" and "OpenJDK". So I selected those and installed those too, and now it works.

I did discover that I had to use ARCore 1.7, instead of ARCore 1.4, as stated on the Vuforia developer webpage (https://developer.vuforia.com). You can get this from https://dl.google.com/dl/android/maven2/com/google/ar/core/1.7.0/core-1.7.0.aar.