Search Unity

Expose point cache as blackboard attribute?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by savorygreatness, Mar 30, 2020.

1. savorygreatness

savorygreatness

I'd like to have a ton of particles in my scene coming from multiple baked point caches. For this to be feasible, I want to be able to set point caches as an exposed attribute of my graph. It doesn't look like this is possible (not in the list of supported types), but can I add it somehow?

2. Olmi

Olmi

The answer is probably a simple one - you would need to somehow extend the functionality of VEG. Or wait for Unity to do that.

But can't you work your way around the problem some other way, if you don't need some fancy user interface? And you don't necessarily need point caches, you could use textures too.

3. Maarja

Maarja

Hi @savorysalisbury. Did you figured this out? I also have a large scene consisting of numerous pCache and it would be really hepful to re-use the same VFX graph and change only the exposed attribute. In Unity2019.3 HDRP I don't see such an attrubute in the Blackboard dropdown.

4. Kamyker

Kamyker

This important feature is still missing in 10.0.0-preview.26 and 9.0.0-prev55.

Egad_McDad and Melloe like this.
  5. Kamyker

Kamyker

Took me few hours to find workaround...

Tried exporting pCache to texture but somehow negative values were clamped to 0 (maybe this could be fixed with exr textures). Found something better, pCache asset has all the textures but they are hidden!

1. In
    PointCacheImporter.cs

Comment this line (HideInHierarchy):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. foreach (var kvp in surfaces)
    2. {
    3.     kvp.Value.Apply();
    4.     //kvp.Value.hideFlags = HideFlags.HideInHierarchy;
    5.     ctx.AddObjectToAsset(kvp.Key.Name, kvp.Value);
    6.     cache.surfaces[k] = kvp.Value;
    7.     k++;
    8. }
    2. Right click a pCache asset and Reimport

3. Replace

With

These are Texture2D properties set to 2. that can be changed also at runtime.

@Remy_Unity please remove these lines and expose pCache textures going forward.

skoteskote, Melloe and MagiJedi like this.
  6. Melloe

Melloe

You sir, are a legend and a scholar

bunnybreaker, skoteskote and Kamyker like this.
  7. Kamyker

Kamyker

8. pbaumgartner98

pbaumgartner98

9. Voronoi

Voronoi

It's in 2020.2 already. Just select the pointcache asset and unfold it. The textures are inside and can be dragged to a VFX Texture2D property.

10. bunnybreaker

bunnybreaker

Today is my first day using point caches and my immediate first thought was "why can't this parameter be exposed?".

You are a legend indeed. Thank you.

11. elephantcove

elephantcove

Thanks for this thread. I'm still confused how to set the value from a script. Does anyone have an example? I can't seem to get the path to individual textures in the .pcache. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

unityunity