Search Unity

1. Click here to see what's on sale for the "Best of Super Sale" on the Asset Store
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Expose Package Json Info Serialization

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Erothez, May 25, 2019.

1. Erothez

Erothez

I have been doing some tooling for UPM that looks at the actual package.json file. I seem to have to duplicate a lot of work that is present internally to the PackageManager UI package. Would be nice to have a class that the .json file can be serialized to and from within Unity without a lot of boilerplate/workarounds for limits of current JSON serialise.

Or am I missing something and there is an easy way to look at dependencies, and samples layout easily from Unity.

2. GarthSmith

GarthSmith

3. Erothez

Erothez

May have missed that first time around, thank you. Sadly after some testing, it's really slow, may have to just work around it and rework the tool to handle that I guess.

I want to pull everything from the JSON file, as it is a lot faster to just read the JSON file (very noticeable to the user faster), rather than going through the PackageManager searching for a bunch of packages and then building the tool. Basically using the PackageInfo and PackageJsonHelper in UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI at the moment as its a lot faster but internal so can't just add a dependency to it and use it.

unityunity