Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Exporting to Windows Phone 8 with Unity

Discussion in 'Windows' started by sonofbryce, Sep 4, 2013.

1. sonofbryce

sonofbryce

Hello Everyone!

I gave the Windows Phone exporter a try a few weeks ago and started putting together a blog post explaining the process and a lot of the gotchas along the way.

http://blog.sokay.net/2013/08/31/exporting-to-windows-phone-with-unity-4-2/

Please let me know if there's anything inaccurate or other common issues/quirks that might need mentioning. I've just been messing with it on the side right now but I'm hoping to release my first Windows Phone game soon.

Peace!

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Good job. Got some notes for you though.

First of all, Release is for profiling, as it has all the debug information stripped out, but still has profiler running in your game. Master, however, has everything disabled, and that's what you should use to publish to the Store.

As for getting into Games hub, instead of normal app list, afaik Microsoft does it themselves when you submit the app as a game.

Lastly, one of the biggest misunderstandings during porting to Windows Phone 8 are unavailable APIs. You'd get error messages all over the place in Unity when trying to export the project "xxxx doesn't exist in target framework". Due to Microsoft, only a subset of .NET is available for Windows Phone 8, so in order to export to it, you must change those unavailable APIs to one of the available ones. Keep this link bookmarked:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/ff626516(v=vs.105).aspx

That's it! Keep up the good work ;).

3. sonofbryce

sonofbryce

Thanks so much! I'll update the post with those tidbits this weekend.

Thanks for checking it out! ;)

4. rextr09

rextr09

Thanks for the article. That's definitely helpful. Looking forward to read your publishing process.

5. gv

gv