Search Unity

exporting .prefab file into blender

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by ghostb0y, Feb 2, 2017.

1. ghostb0y

ghostb0y

hey, im trying to export a model into blender from unity. i dont want the whole scene, nor the whole asset. i have the model saved as a .prefab file and i need to know how to export it from unity as a .fbx or .blend or even just .obj file so i can open it to work on it in blender. im new to both of these softwares so a dumbed down explanation would be great, even better if you can include pictures <<;

stjernerlever likes this.
  2. Cygon4

Cygon4

You won't have much luck with *.prefab -- it's very specific to Unity and contains no geometry data by itself, it only holds references (by id) to the model & materials used.

Here's what you can do:

1) Find the model(s) used in the prefab. For example, by selecting the prefab (or prefab instance in the scene) and hunting for "Mesh Filter" components in it.

In the screenshot below, you can see a "Mesh Filter" that references the mesh "Floor". Click on that reference and the "Project" window should navigate straight to the model that mesh comes from.

prefab-mesh-finding.png

2) Import the model you found in step 1 into Blender.

Most likely, the model is an .fbx file and you'll have to import it into Blender. This is done by creating a new Blender scene and selecting File -> Import -> FBX from within Blender.

3. CamperJohn

CamperJohn

Thanks....this worked for me

4. CleverBearStudios

CleverBearStudios

A more modern version can be using the fbx exporter, Go to WIndow > Package manager > Unity Regitsry > Search fbx exporter download it and right click on the model you want to export select the format (blender doesnt support ascii so binary would be better) and choose the path

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    RexGaming1 likes this.
  5. jacksonsprock12207

jacksonsprock12207

i did all of that but it doesnt show up

6. willyunturned1985

willyunturned1985

big thanks for you pal, thank you so much,, now i know what actual size of "sedan" from unturned, so i can make it in blender and make my own with same size,, thank you so much