Search Unity

Exporting animated scene from Blender to Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by roger0, Nov 27, 2021.

1. roger0

roger0

I want to make cutscenes for my game in Blender and export them to Unity. My cutscenes I have multiple objects being moved around at the same time such as aircraft, cars, etc.

When I import the fbx file into Unity, nothing moves when hitting play. When I switch the animation type to legacy, Only one animation for one object plays, and the field of view animation for the camera. Other than that, the rest of the objects don't move.

Even when animating 3 simple cubes in blender, the animations wont be preserved, unless switching to legacy which will only animate 1.

2. halley

halley

The workflow you describe is not supported.

Blender does not export all motions or actions into FBX files, and Unity is only trying to support imports necessary for characters and models. The compatible FBX import/export features are centered around capturing geometry, simple materials, and animation keyframes from actions for bones on a single armature.

Generally, the assumption is that you will make all your individual set pieces (props, furniture, characters) individually, and do the animation necessary for cut-scenes in Unity.

3. roger0

roger0

I was afraid of that. Even when I bake the keyframes out it still doesnt work. Perhaps I could put the whole scene as a single armature? Animating in Unity is doable, it just doesn't have all the nice features like Blender (constraints, follow path, etc). Since my game is mostly fighter jets doing dogfight maneuvers, I really need to be able to animate along a path.

I have lightwave 10 that is able to export a whole scene with animations intact. But its not as nice as animating in Blender and I don't want to rely on an antiquated piece of software.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  4. halley

halley

There are some great "follow a bezier" script assets out there, some quite cheap or even free. While I understand you have the skills in Blender to do those keyframed animations, I think you will find it nice to make behaviors based on simpler scripts. For instance, rather than rigging each bystander independently to watch a jet flying past, drop a behavior that automatically detects jets and uses an off-the-shelf IK solver scripts to gaze at them. Then the characters can do this anytime, not just during cutscenes.

roger0 likes this.
  5. kdgalla

kdgalla

6. roger0

roger0

Will it only work while in game? I need to be able to view the animation while in the editor. And be able to scroll the frames back and forward and see it move along the path. That's how intuitive Blender is.

7. kdgalla

kdgalla

Possibly with editor scripting, but I don't really do editor scripting so I can't advise how to do this.

The package itself mostly just allows you to create the paths in the editor, but actually following the paths is done through scripting.