Search Unity

Export Shapes from 3DS Max to Unity

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by SpookyCat, Sep 14, 2011.

1. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi All
    Just finishing up the next update to MegaFiers, this will see the addition of a couple of new features. Firstly I have added a Vertex Animation modifier, this allows Max users (others to come) to export their animated meshes from Max to Unity. The system uses the proper controllers so unlike other systems that snapshot the vertex positions at set time steps the system uses just the animation curve data so making it very light weight memory wise and very fast for playback. I will put up a video of the system when I can figure out and build a nice mesh in Max to show it off.

As well as the vertex animation I have added a shape exporter to the Max exporter so you can easily export the splines you use for camera paths etc and use them in Unity, the export and spline system also support animated splines so you can have some nice animated camera paths etc. The animated splines work fine with the Path Deform modifiers. You can see the system at work in the video below.
    Chris

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. Xin

Xin

Just bought the package , where should I look for the "3dsmax shape exporter" ?

3. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just email me with your invoice number and the version of Max you use and I will get the exporter to you.
    Chris

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The video shows some serious stalls in performance, yet it says it is fast. Is there something specific that I missed?

5. larvantholos

larvantholos

I just wanted to note, splines will export fine from max as is, you can export them with their uv co-ordinates too for doing extrusion stuff. Just as an FYI.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Not animated though, which is the reason for me being interested in this asset :)

7. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

The video was done almost exactly a year ago and back then I used Camtasia to capture videos and that had trouble keeping a good frame rate when captures got long so all the slowdown is purely down to the video capture. I can make a new video if you like :) The system has expanded a lot since then and now has SVG import, an advanced lofting system (in MegaShapes) and a full API to edit, create and interact with splines.

8. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

@larvantholos - Are you sure shapes export from Max, whenever I have tried I just get an empty object in Unity. Unity doesn't support bezier splines without a plugin so do you mean you have converted the shape in max to a mesh and then exported it? If so that isn't quite the same as having a bezier spline importer.

9. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just a note to say we now have an exporter for Maya as well to get splines from there into Unity using MegaFiers or MegaShapes.

10. start-Dream

start-Dream

Is it possible in max 2013?

11. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Yes, we have exporters for all versions of 3ds max including 2018, and for all versions of Maya and Blender.

12. start-Dream

start-Dream

What is your email address?

13. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

14. start-Dream

start-Dream

The following error occurred.

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    MegaModifiers.RecalcNormals (UnityEngine.Mesh ms, UnityEngine.Vector3 [] _verts) (at Assets / MegaFiers / Scripts / MegaFiers / Modifiers / MegaModifiers.cs: 935)
    MegaModifiers.RecalcNormals () (at Assets / MegaFiers / Scripts / MegaFiers / Modifiers / MegaModifiers.cs: 402)
    MegaModifiers.SetMesh (UnityEngine.Vector3 [] & _verts) (at Assets / MegaFiers / Scripts / MegaFiers / Modifiers / MegaModifiers.cs: 368)
    MegaModifiers.ModifyObject () (at Assets / MegaFiers / Scripts / MegaFiers / Modifiers / MegaModifiers.cs: 333)
    MegaModifiers.ModifyObjectMT () (at Assets / Mega-Fiers / Scripts / MegaFiers / Modifiers / MegaModifiers.cs: 616)
    MegaModifyObject.Update () (at Assets / MegaFiers / Scripts / MegaFiers / Modifiers / MegaModifyObject.cs: 177)

15. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@start-Dream - If you could submit a support ticket at our website which outlines the steps you are taking so we can see what is going on that would be great.

16. ROMA_VALERIUS

ROMA_VALERIUS

Hey @SpookyCat !! I tried to email you with my invoice and everything the last day and I haven't gotten a response yet. Is everything okay? Are you alright? I'm kinda in a bind with a deadline coming up soon next week. I need your help asap about megafiers export plug-in.

17. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@ROMA_VALERIUS - Sorry for not getting back to you, I have been out of the country for a few days, back now and catching up with emails.

ROMA_VALERIUS likes this.
  18. moduum

moduum

Hello @SpookyCat
    I sent an email twice to get the Spline Exporter, and a user support message via your website once. That's 4 days, 6 days, 9 days ago, but I have not received a reply yet. So I will post a comment here because I am afraid that there is a problem in the mail delivery process. Please respond.

19. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@moduum - I have sent you a reply this morning I was away from my desk for family business and was not able to access the internet in that time, I am just a single developer and sometimes it is just not possible to be around all the time.