Search Unity

Export Project to Zip - Unity Editor Free Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jonathan-Tremblay, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Jonathan-Tremblay

Jonathan-Tremblay

Hey there, Unity developers! I want to share with you a free and open-source tool that I created: Export Project to Zip. It's a lightweight tool that simplifies the process of zipping Unity projects for backup or transfer purposes.

PromoInterfaceCapture_FORUM_800x394.png

As a teacher, I have to manage many Unity projects. It can be painful! I have also noticed that the huge size of the Library folder in a Unity project can be difficult for my students to manage. Although the Library folder is not an essential part of a project (because it can be recreated by Unity), it is not intuitive to exclude this folder when creating a zip archive. That's why I created Export Project to Zip: it manages to compress the project but excludes the library, directly from the Unity file menu (no need to leave Unity!)

It is compatible with Unity 2021.3.16+ (both on Mac and PC).

I hope this tool will help you improve your workflow.

Unity Store link: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/export-project-to-zip-243983

Github link: https://github.com/JonathanTremblay/UnityExportToZip

By the way, suggestions are welcome! :)

steril, mgear and CodeSmile like this.
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

There are more folders you should exclude, are you aware of those? The .gitignore template will give you pointers. Most importantly don‘t include the Temp folder and „Build(s)“ which are often saved to the project folder itself. Also Logs and Obj from the top of my head, and any folder that starts with a dot (like .git which can be huge as well).

3. Jonathan-Tremblay

Jonathan-Tremblay

Hi @CodeSmile ,
    Thank you for your comment!
    You are right about the Obj folder, I forgot this one. I will exclude it in my next version.
    Build(s) folders are kept, because it does help my students to get those folders in the archive. Maybe I can add a flag to change that option at the beginning of the code.
    All the other folders you mentioned are already excluded, despite the incomplete presentation in my previous post...

From the (hidden) Technical details section on the store page:
    "Excludes all zip files at the top level of the project. It also excludes the following folders: .git, Library, Logs, Temp. An exception to excluding the Library folder is the LastSceneManagerSetup.txt file, which is included to allow Unity to remember and load the last accessed scene when the project is reopened."

CodeSmile likes this.
  4. Jonathan-Tremblay

Jonathan-Tremblay

Version 1.0.1 of Export Project to Zip is now available. :)
    • It now excludes the Obj folder (thanks again @CodeSmile).
    • The code has a flag to exclude Build(s) folders.
    • The name of the folder inside the Zip archive will match the name of the Zip file (this can also be changed with a flag).
    • The package now appears in the Packages folder (not in Assets anymore).
    • The package can now be installed directly using the Git repository.
    Unity Store link: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/export-project-to-zip-243983

Github link: https://github.com/JonathanTremblay/UnityExportToZip

Again, suggestions are welcome!

5. Jonathan-Tremblay

Jonathan-Tremblay

Just released version 1.1.0 of Export Project to Zip :)
    • It has new options in the Project Settings window. For example, builds are now excluded by default to create smaller zip files, but they can be included by checking the new option.
    • It now keeps the BuildSettings.asset file from the Library folder, which allows you to keep the build target of your project.
    If you haven't tried it yet, check out the new video demo (️50s):