Search Unity

Question Export image sequence with alpha from none standard camera.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by PandorasKeyboard, Apr 12, 2022.

1. PandorasKeyboard

PandorasKeyboard

Hi all. I'm working on a game trailer for a client and need to get some of the VFX out of unity to show in my 3D scenes. Exporting particle simulations as alembic or FBX I've totally given up on so I'm trying to import my cameras from Maya and export the sims as PNG sequences with alpha.

I've managed to do this easily enough with recorder in a clean unity scene, however the prefabs & packages from this project won't fully import properly into a fresh scene.

I can't export from the base project as the cameras are not standard, they look like this - imgur.com/a/i9xpDeg

There is absolutely no combination of layers and different backgrounds, skybox or solid colour with 0 alpha that can make this kind of camera export anything on an alpha.

I think it could be caused by cinemachine being deeply embedded into the project, if I remove it to try and make the cameras standard the whole project gets a ton of errors and won't play. If I export the simulations to a fresh project their custom shaders won't work, I've tried making a new project and exporting all assets and code from this project to it and either the shaders don't work in the new project or it gets compile errors due to missing parts.

I need a smarter way of exporting image sequence with alpha from this project.

I'm a 3D artist who primarily uses Maya & this is my first time using unity.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  2. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

If this is an HDRP project, note that you need to make sure that your HDRP settings allow transparency.
    For example, you need to use:
    * ColorBufferFormat.R16G16B16A16 (note the alpha channel)
    * CustomBufferFormat.R16G16B16A16 or CustomBufferFormat.SignedR8G8B8A8
    * PostProcessBufferFormat.R16G16B16A16 or PostProcessBufferFormat.R32G32B32A32

An update is coming that includes warnings if those settings aren't applied.

Hope this helps

upload_2022-4-12_10-5-48.png

3. PandorasKeyboard

PandorasKeyboard

Thanks man, I had hope for a second there but no I don't have any HDRP settings. - upload_2022-4-12_18-42-41.png upload_2022-4-12_18-42-27.png