Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EXPLORER Series

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by marincastefan, Jul 31, 2019.

1. marincastefan

marincastefan

Forum_Banner.png
    Hello everyone,

Some time ago I started work on a series of packages in a stylized, low-poly look, but with a higher detail fidelity than most packages that I could find available.

The name "EXPLORER" comes from my want to be able to provide an immersive experience from a macro level, all the way to a micro, detail oriented level.
    At a glance, the world presented has all the ingredients needed in a top-down experience game, like large cliffs, lakes, villages, etc. When "zooming in". the details start to pop up, like animated characters, complete with clothing options and accessories, fruit bowls, pottery items, twigs and all other sorts of small, but significant objects when building a believable world.

The first package is set in the stone age, it seemed appropriate to start at the beginning of human civilization. Subsequent packs will probably arrive in chronological order. Next up should be an "Ancient Egypt" pack.

EXPLORER - Stone Age (Youtube Trailer)

I'll set up a poll in the near future and see if something else would be preferable to add first to the collection.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  2. marincastefan

marincastefan

EXPLORER - Stone Age has been accepted on the Asset Store and you can find it here:

link

3. Matheesanahila

Matheesanahila

is this support for mobile games?

4. marincastefan

marincastefan

Yes :D

The poly count is moderately or extremely low for the level of detail that you see, multiple prefabs have a "mobile" version that share only a few materials between them. Where possible, I made simple colliders and where the shape is mode complex, I made very simplified custom mesh colliders.

5. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

its really beautiful

marincastefan likes this.
  6. vARDAmir88

vARDAmir88

Hi,

Your asset is looking AWESSOME!!!

I just want to make my own "Far Cry Primal" but I can't find any animals/dinosaurs to hunt and fight.

7. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

Hello, this is a great looking asset. Does the asset include the post processing settings as I would like to recreate the look of some of the screenshots from the asset store.

8. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks!
    Yes the post processing profiles are included, along with LUT textures that make it very easy to change visual moods in a scene.
    I will update the package this week and streamline the structure a bit and make it a bit easier and more intuitive to use.
    Right now it's submitted with the 2017.1 version and I will replace that with the 2018.3 version which uses the V2 post processing stack.

9. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

Thank you for your quick response. I will buy your asset as it looks great and I really appreciate that you include the post processing profiles!

10. kdgalla

kdgalla

The screen shots look very good. I like this low-poly style a lot better than the flat, faceted look that's so popular these days.

11. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks!
    I've tried to go in a different direction a bit, since the market seems to be a bit saturated with the faceted style at the moment.

12. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Will you add content or additional sets in the theme? I want to use it for my game.

13. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Are characters rigged for mecanim?

14. marincastefan

marincastefan

Yes. they are.
    And sorry, but I forgot to answer to the previous post, yes, more content is coming to the series, some small content updates here and there, and probably every three months a new package in the series.
    Next up is Ancient Egypt, I'm aiming for a February/March launch.

SnooOnline likes this.
  15. marincastefan

marincastefan

16. SnooOnline

SnooOnline

17. marincastefan

marincastefan

18. PRo3101

PRo3101

Hi, great work, looks awesome ! Does it support URP ? When do you release the Ancient Egypt package ?

19. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks!
    At the moment no, just the standard pipeline. I might add URP compatibility in the future, if there is enough demand, but the pack isn't the big seller that I had hoped, so pretty low chances for that.
    The same logic applies to the Egypt pack, at the moment there isn't much interest in this pack, so not worth following up on it.

20. PRo3101

PRo3101

Oh too bad to hear, the pack isn' t the big seller, such a fantastic work -but it could be possible the more new Explorer packets you create, the more of the older Explorer packets you will sell. Maybe it also would be better not to make a cronological order and begin with more wanted ages.

21. marincastefan

marincastefan

Totally agree.
    However I have the Toon Series which fortunately sells well enough and I've been focusing on that lately. If I add someone to the team though, I might resume work on the Explorer packs, because it's been a favorite of mine to work on.

BLjung likes this.
  22. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

In the tutorial video, you show several LUT's that you say are included with the Stone Age package. However, I only find two of them in the package. Where can I obtain the others?

23. marincastefan

marincastefan

It seems I removed them by accident in the latest update.
    I'll fix it as soon as possible, probably a couple of days, depending on how fast Unity approves the update.

RadioactiveBullfrog likes this.
  24. MohamedBaaziz

MohamedBaaziz

Is This Support URP ?

25. marincastefan

marincastefan

No, not at the moment.

26. BLjung

BLjung

How much work would it take to upgrade to URP?

What is the workflow for upgrading to URP if an asset does not yet support it?
    I'm thinking of buying this. But it doesn't yet support URP that I would like to use. I'm thinking maybe I could upgrade it myself if it is fairly simple. Or is it way too time consuming? (My current knowledge is that I simply need to update shaders in the used materials. That doesn't feel like a lot of work. What am I missing? There has to be something. If not I figure you would already have done it.)

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/historic/explorer-stone-age-150867#content

27. marincastefan

marincastefan

The upgrade to URP would be pretty easy, like you said, updating the materials. But for one thing: the custom shaders for the trees.
    I had outside help in making those shaders and I'm not able to make them work in URP by myself. I quite like the wind effect on the vegetation where it's being used and I don't want to give that up just for URP compatibility.

If you can live without the wind effect on the vegetation, then the upgrade is pretty simple, just replace the vegetation shader with a built-in URP shader and it should work.

28. BLjung

BLjung

I will use this opportunity to learn more about shader graph. :)

I guess the easiest path is to use the wind- shader for vegetation found in boat attack demo.
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/BoatAttack

29. taoleaf

taoleaf

I just want to say. this is a fantastic, beautiful pack. i hope you make more in this "Explorer" series. it's a really lovely style.

30. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thank you!
    I scrapped the plans for future packs in this series, because of poor sales. Lately though, those numbers started to improve, so there might be hope for future packs in this style.

31. R1PFake

R1PFake

A "Explorer" pack with a samurai setting would be awesome.

Btw +1 for a URP update, maybe it also also help with new sales?

32. anisimovdev

anisimovdev

For anyone who want to use the "Foggy_Plane_1B" material in the URP, here is the setup:

upload_2021-7-11_11-41-54.png

Not as good as the original, but you can play around with the "Surface Fade" and the Emission color.

33. shubhank008

shubhank008

upload_2021-7-19_4-19-45.png

Hi,
    In the asset store video there is this scene with a planet in background/sky, I tried to find it but cannot find it in any skybox or textures or prefabs.
    How to get this look ? I personally bought the assets for the beautiful skies and ambience xD

This also cannot replicate

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  34. shubhank008

shubhank008

Also, compared to the youtube video, the latest update of the Asset has lesser post-process profiles and I think missing skyboxes, is it intended ?

35. marincastefan

marincastefan

Hi shubhank, during a previous update some files got corrupted and I had to trim down the contents a bit.
    I restored a few files in the latest update but a few more are still missing, including the skyboxes in question and a demo scene.
    I will restore at least the skyboxes and LUT textures for the post processing files in a future update (next couple of days probably).
    The last 2 screenshots from the videos were taken from the main demo scenes, during the building phase. There was some asset shuffling going on at the time, so the final demo scenes might not resemble the screenshots too closely.

But once the LUT files are restored to the pack, it will be very easy to achieve those looks.

36. shubhank008

shubhank008

ah okay, I hope its soon enough. Loved your skyboxes and sky ambience (overall look in all the scenes with sky showing, I think most unique of all)

37. runealdoo

runealdoo

Hey
    Just want to say that I would looooove som wild west assets from you :)

38. shubhank008

shubhank008

Hi any update on the skyboxes and demo scene as shown in store page video ? Its August now and I bought it more or like looking at the demo scene shown in video and for the planet looking skybox, so that the level design saves me a lot of time

runealdoo likes this.
  39. marincastefan

marincastefan

Yes, the pack was updated.
    The skyboxes are now restored, along with the LUT files. :)

40. shubhank008

shubhank008

I am facing a weird issue, using Unity 2020.2 I used your river demo scene (small one) as it is and it works great in editor but for standalone build (windows), the river appears white.
    Like material works but as if texture color appears as white

upload_2021-9-5_21-36-20.png

41. marincastefan

marincastefan

I can't be sure yet, but it looks like the "Noise Cutoff" property needs tweaking. It's a slider that you can tweak in the water shader properties.

1.PNG 2.PNG

If it's not that, and it looks ok in the editor but not in the build, then I suspect it's some project setting, like color space, rendering path, camera setting, and so on.

42. shubhank008

shubhank008

in Editor its perfectly fine, it's just the standalone build where I think either the texture or rather the texture's blue color is not rendering, tried a lot of things and I was using default settings (only change being gamma to linear and using bakery to generate lightmaps).
    Then I deleted bakery and tried to use inbuilt lighting generator and still same problem.

Nothing in error logs as well, tried both x64 and x86 build ~_~

43. shubhank008

shubhank008

I just noticed another weird issue as well in standalone builds.

The terrain texture/ground (and everything on it) is weirdly flickery or call it jittery

Below is a video for it

44. marincastefan

marincastefan

I didn't have a 2020.2 version installed and I tried the 2020.3 version.
    I imported the pack in a new project and built the standalone version.
    It looked exactly like the editor.

I'll try a 2020.2 version later, but I suspect I will get the same result.

45. alexr1221

alexr1221

Hi,
    I recently purchased the asset. I was especially interested in the demo scenes shown in the video however some of them are not present in the asset (in the video 0:09 ,1:10. 1:12 , 1:14, ...) Would it be possible for you to add the missing scenes?
    I read you had to remove them in a previous update, I am also interested to get a legacy assetpackage where the scenes were included in the case it is not possible to restore them

46. marincastefan

marincastefan

Hi,

Thanks for the purchase,

The missing content has been restored, almost in full, the only missing scene is this one, from the tutorial.

The timestamps you selected from the video were recorded in the scenes included in the package, at various stages when building the demo scenes. The differences come mainly from lighting, post-processing and moving some props around.

47. alexr1221

alexr1221

Do you mean in an upcoming update or in the current version?

48. alexr1221

alexr1221

Do you still have some landscapes in possession among these 15 screenshots?

upload_2021-11-30_14-23-12.png upload_2021-11-30_14-23-12.png upload_2021-11-30_14-23-12.png upload_2021-11-30_14-23-12.png upload_2021-11-30_14-23-12.png

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  49. alexr1221

alexr1221

50. alexr1221

alexr1221