Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Explorer.exe crashes when browsing Unity project root directory

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by amadrias, Sep 29, 2011.

1. amadrias

amadrias

Hi,

I just updated Unity to 3.4.1f5 and I get this strange bug when if I create a simple empty project and add a C# asset to it, looking to the project root folder directory in Explorer (Win7 64bits Home Premium), it crashes the explorer.exe process.

Note that it doesn't do so when I don't create a C# file.

It seems to be linked to the files generated by Unity in the folder to load the project in MonoDevelop or Visual Studio.

Anybody knows what it could be related to? I made a Google, Forum and Unity Answers search for similar issue but couldn't find it.

Thanks

2. amadrias

amadrias

Please, this is stucking me on using MonoDevelop (which is a good tool but I prefer using Visual Studio since I bought a set of add-ons that I couldn't leave without now :p).

Can anyone point me to a resolution page? Or just tell me that I'm the sole user having this issue (hope not :( )

3. amadrias

amadrias

Ok, for those who may encounter the same issue, I found out that the issue is related to Windows shell extensions and more precisely with the file "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\VSFileHandler_64.dll" which is delivered with Visual Studio 2010 SP1.

I don't know what exactly is causing the issue (I have TortoiseSVN installed which may have an impact too).

To solve this, I downloaded Nirsoft ShellExView and disabled the VSShellExtHandler Class and it is now working perfectly.

Regards