Search Unity

Explorer.exe crashes when browsing Unity project root directory

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by amadrias, Sep 29, 2011.

1. amadrias

amadrias

Hi,

I just updated Unity to 3.4.1f5 and I get this strange bug when if I create a simple empty project and add a C# asset to it, looking to the project root folder directory in Explorer (Win7 64bits Home Premium), it crashes the explorer.exe process.

Note that it doesn't do so when I don't create a C# file.

It seems to be linked to the files generated by Unity in the folder to load the project in MonoDevelop or Visual Studio.

Anybody knows what it could be related to? I made a Google, Forum and Unity Answers search for similar issue but couldn't find it.

Thanks

2. amadrias

amadrias

Please, this is stucking me on using MonoDevelop (which is a good tool but I prefer using Visual Studio since I bought a set of add-ons that I couldn't leave without now :p).

Can anyone point me to a resolution page? Or just tell me that I'm the sole user having this issue (hope not :( )

3. amadrias

amadrias

Ok, for those who may encounter the same issue, I found out that the issue is related to Windows shell extensions and more precisely with the file "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\VSFileHandler_64.dll" which is delivered with Visual Studio 2010 SP1.

I don't know what exactly is causing the issue (I have TortoiseSVN installed which may have an impact too).

To solve this, I downloaded Nirsoft ShellExView and disabled the VSShellExtHandler Class and it is now working perfectly.

Regards